Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A little update:

I stopped by BadAss Tents in Poway today, little did I know they are an off-shoot of a brand I was buying long ago in my motorcycle days (HotBodies). They don't have a front-end retail store but were happy to show me around and I was able to see their roof tents being built by some folks hard at work.

They have a roof rack for the Bronco I got to see some nice renders of. The reason for the visit was to put eyes on the spare tire side mount. At the top position the center taillight will make carrying there very difficult as well as block the tail light. I got a bit lucky and was able to buy one of the kits, but my maxtrax order is probably another month away, so it'll be some time before I can snap a picture of that.

Now one REALLY nice tidbite of info, was discussion of how much weight the tailgate could hold. One of the crew there told me he basically used the spare tire as a ladder while doing the buildout of their roof rack, and he stood on it, jumped on it, for many hours over the course of a few weeks without issue. Granted thats a little different then a bunch of weight loaded up while rock crawling, but it did put my mind at ease a bit over loading some weight onto it.
Sponsored

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I gave up on the idea of MaxTrax and got some GoTreads XL. Should work for me, with the big downside being no bridging. But keeping them in a bag in the Bronco is a huge plus, and my main deciding factor.

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I use Rok Straps on my Jeep along with a Bolt cable lock, and will probably do something similar on the Bronco. Strapping them in this way you can clock them in any direction around the spare, and it's cheap and light.

The only issue I can see with the way I did it on the Jeep, is that on the Bronco it could block the rear camera. I may attempt strapping them on the side of the tire with the Bronco if there isn't a clear way to strap them to the back of the tire without blocking the camera.

OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use Rok Straps on my Jeep along with a Bolt cable lock, and will probably do something similar on the Bronco. Strapping them in this way you can clock them in any direction around the spare, and it's cheap and light.

The only issue I can see with the way I did it on the Jeep, is that on the Bronco it could block the rear camera. I may attempt strapping them on the side of the tire with the Bronco if there isn't a clear way to strap them to the back of the tire without blocking the camera.

Wonder if you just strap it to the top half of the tire (running the straps around the tire itself at the top)?

Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some more info: The BadAss tents spare tire mount fits some other brand of recovery boards, not MaxTrax using MaxTrax pins, so that may not be a good investment. Regardless of that, the MaxTrack really struggle to clear the rear bumper on the stock spare tire placement. As of now I'm probably going to bite the bullet and go american adventure lab STP. Had I done that from the beginning I'd probably have it already and be ready to roll.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wonder if you just strap it to the top half of the tire (running the straps around the tire itself at the top)?
Were you thinking horizontally against the wheel face, above the camera? This is what I'm envisioning, just waiting to see someone else do it and if it fits.

OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Were you thinking horizontally against the wheel face, above the camera? This is what I'm envisioning, just waiting to see someone else do it and if it fits.
That would be ideal.

OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A friend of mine gave me his old rockslide Engineering EZ rack set up, as I didn't want to put mine on the roof, I'm getting a 2dr. I found a roof rack mount by Racksbrax on Amazon. I'm going to try and marry the 2 together so i can mount the boards vertically on the side of the spare.
Bronco-1.jpg
Bronco-2.jpg

These mounting plates are made for Maxtrax and pins that MaxTrax sells.
Where you able to get this to work with the Maxtrax?

Stick355

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Mach 1, 2020 Explorer ST, 2021 Ranger Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Where you able to get this to work with the Maxtrax?
Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco Max

I was, unfortunately I don't have any other pics with me. I will try and get a better detailed set of pics and info this evening.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bird Dog Off Road

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco Max

I was, unfortunately I don't have any other pics with me. I will try and get a better detailed set of pics and info this evening.
That would be awesome. I'm curious as to how you got the plate attached to the strap.

Stick355

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have been pretty happy with this setup, as it mounts the boards solidly to the tire with easy access if needed. The roof wasn't an option, both kids, and myself, prefer to explore the state forest by us with the roof of.
This is how I mounted them. I didn't want them horizontally across the top of the tire, although that would have been even easier. I drilled new mounting holes to lift the boards and give clearance to the bumper. The plate was designed around Maxtrax boards so the pins bolted right on. I have been out in the woods and mud holes a few times, they haven't move moved and they don't rattle at all.

dgm.jpg

eat.jpg

fhn.jpg

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been pretty happy with this setup, as it mounts the boards solidly to the tire with easy access if needed. The roof wasn't an option, both kids, and myself, prefer to explore the state forest by us with the roof of.
This is how I mounted them. I didn't want them horizontally across the top of the tire, although that would have been even easier. I drilled new mounting holes to lift the boards and give clearance to the bumper. The plate was designed around Maxtrax boards so the pins bolted right on. I have been out in the woods and mud holes a few times, they haven't move moved and they don't rattle at all.

Ford Bronco Maxtrax mounting options with a soft top Bronco fhn

I like the set up. Trying to figure out options for soft top.

Would the boards fit on the face of the tire rather than the tread if I figure out a way to strap down? I was thinking horizontally above the camera. Also just saw TC Customs had their boards inside, strapped to the top of their cargo lid.

Stick355

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like the set up. Trying to figure out options for soft top.

Would the boards fit on the face of the tire rather than the tread if I figure out a way to strap down? I was thinking horizontally above the camera. Also just saw TC Customs had their boards inside, strapped to the top of their cargo lid.
The boards measure 13" wide.
Top of camera stalk to top of tread is 16".
It would fit, but when I looked into mounting them on the face of the tire, every setup I found was designed for a swing out carrier. There's no way to get to the backside of the wheel on the factory mount.

HorizonHunter

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The boards measure 13" wide.
Top of camera stalk to top of tread is 16".
It would fit, but when I looked into mounting them on the face of the tire, every setup I found was designed for a swing out carrier. There's no way to get to the backside of the wheel on the factory mount.
I appreciate the insight. I guess just threading some small rachet straps through wheel and board is less then ideal solution. Ha.
Sponsored