First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
To be honest. The number I look at is production and even though it's up, it's still not as strong as I'd hope to see. Would have hoped they would have gotten closer to 15,000 a month.
However, I do wonder how many Broncos have collected on Ice Mountain at this point. I really thought we would start seeing sales surpass production as they released some of them.....
That's all I look at as well. At this point I treat sales as WIP. I know the term is not used from a manufacturing perspective to represent what I call it, but the sales will take care of themself at some point. But everything starts with production. If Ford can maintain 13-15K a month, we are looking at over 120K Broncos produced by the end of June, which theoretically gets Ford to meeting the original order demand. Speaking of WIP, if I go back to my production days in CSD, you can not count a unit produced until everything is met. So if the truck is missing a chip, it would fall into the WIP category.
Sponsored

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Do they consider it “Produced” if assembled and waiting on computer chips?
I don't think so. Under GAAP accounting rules, if a product is not ready for sale due to pending unfinished production work, it's classified as WIP (Work-in-Progress) inventory. I'd imagine the SEC requires Ford to follow GAAP rules in their reports.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Dealer Allocations were implemented AFTER Ford took public reservations [read: money]. At that time there were no mentions of dealer allocations or commodity issues. I understand things change, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't fulfill reservations in the order they were placed.

It would mean Ford makes slightly less profit, not loses money, but just makes slightly less while keeping loyal customers happy. That should be a no-brainer for a company trying to do the right thing for its customers.

They changed the rules after they took people's money so they could sell less desirable Broncos to people without reservations.
So Ford shouldn't build a single Bronco until they can do so in order of reservation? They did change the allocation rules, that's their bad. But commodity issues are REAL, and not under the control of Ford. I'm a supplier/distributor in the transportation industry, while there are things you can/could do to offset contraints, there a some issues where you're SOL and waiting with everyone else. Ford is no different.

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I can’t speak for Ford but I worked in manufacturing for 28 years and never counted anything as produced unless it was ready to ship. Sold meant it was delivered (or in transit to the customer depending on GAAP rules or a particular state’s or country’s laws) and invoiced. Sold didn’t not include finished units in regional inventory awaiting sale. Both are generally accepted as standard practice but again, I can’t speak for Ford.
You're spot on, the SEC requires listed companies to adhere to GAAP inventory rules as you have described.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That would make sense if there weren't reservations made after mine with the same restraints that have already been delivered.

I'm a day 3 reservation and there are thousand of similar build as mine, reserved after me, that have been delivered.

What your saying doesn't make sense if you take that into account. It's just bad business practice at this point, and very clear that Ford is doing a money grab with disregard to their early reservation holders.
At the same dealer? or what? People complaining that someone with a later reservation at another dealer getting theirs sooner are getting super annoying. Yes allocations are horrible, but allocations are nothing new. They absolutely suck but they are the rules of the game as of today.

Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
At the same dealer? or what? People complaining that someone with a later reservation at another dealer getting theirs sooner are getting super annoying. Yes allocations are horrible, but allocations are nothing new. They absolutely suck but they are the rules of the game as of today.
Dealer Allocations were implemented AFTER Ford took public reservations [read: money]. At that time there were no mentions of dealer allocations or commodity issues. I understand things change, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't fulfill reservations in the order they were placed.

It would mean Ford makes slightly less profit, not loses money, but just makes slightly less while keeping loyal customers happy. That should be a no-brainer for a company trying to do the right thing for its customers.

They changed the rules after they took people's money so they could sell less desirable Broncos to people without reservations.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you able to show proof ford said reservations will be built in the order received without regard of allocations? That doesn’t even make sense. I could see them not mentioning allocations (because it’s been assumed for the past half century) but that’s it

BenderSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Suge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Not necessarily, if Ford chooses to count the vehicles on chip hold as “produced” given they are essentially ready (to be clear I do not know this to be a fact) it could explain the rise in production with the accompanying fall off in sales. I’ll publish a chart later.
They'll be violating GAAP accounting rules if they count unfinished inventory as finished. They're required to count them as WIP, Work-in-Progress. Wait for their detailed December quarter financials to find the WIP breakdown.

BassMaster

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only in Fords world is a “ produced” vehicle sitting out in the weather in a holding lot counted as actual production.

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So Ford shouldn't build a single Bronco until they can do so in order of reservation? They did change the allocation rules, that's their bad. But commodity issues are REAL, and not under the control of Ford. I'm a supplier/distributor in the transportation industry, while there are things you can/could do to offset contraints, there a some issues where you're SOL and waiting with everyone else. Ford is no different.
Ford shouldn't build a reservations made AFTER mine with the same restraints that I have until mine is built, yes that is what I'm saying.

I'm a day 3 reservation and there are thousand of similar build as mine, reserved after me, that have been delivered.

What your saying doesn't make sense if you take that into account. It's just bad business practice at this point, and very clear that Ford is doing a money grab with disregard to their early reservation holders.

Sponsored

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Are you able to show proof ford said reservations will be built in the order received without regard of allocations? That doesn’t even make sense. I could see them not mentioning allocations (because it’s been assumed for the past half century) but that’s it
There are reservations made after mine with the same restraints that have already been delivered. Ford clearly underestimated the popularity of the Bronco, and left the early reservation holders out to dry.

KompressorV12

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford shouldn't build a reservations made AFTER mine with the same restraints that I have until mine is built, yes that is what I'm saying.

We can all agree allocation is horrible for consumers. But allocations are the rule. We are not Ford's customer. Yes I understand we are the end user and our opinions will shape Ford's decision, but allocation was ALWAYS the formula. I guess I have no problem with people complaining about allocation, but I have a problem with people asking ford to explain why later reservation holders are getting their same spec'd broncos before you. Like duh, do we have to go over this for the 3,000th time? It's plain as day.

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We can all agree allocation is horrible for consumers. But allocations are the rule. We are not Ford's customer. Yes I understand we are the end user and our opinions will shape Ford's decision, but allocation was ALWAYS the formula. I guess I have no problem with people complaining about allocation, but I have a problem with people asking ford to explain why later reservation holders are getting their same spec'd broncos before you. Like duh, do we have to go over this for the 3,000th time? It's plain as day.
If allocations are the rule, why did Ford take online reservations? Why didn't they say to order at your dealer and assign build dates from dealer orders.... like they have done with EVERY other car they have ever sold. They changed the rules after taking online reservations and money.

I'm not asking you to defend Ford. I understand basic supply/demand.

What they are doing is just bad business, and doesn't inspire brand loyalty.

Ford clearly underestimated the popularity of the Bronco, and left the early reservation holders out to dry.

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Using myself as an example of allocation/parts shortages/etc affecting the Bronco:

I had a first hour or so reservation and converted my order in January of last year.

The Bronco was eventually built and sat around on the Dirt Mountain and delivered early October.

My shitshow happened and I placed another order at the end of October, for a more or less identical Big Bend Bronco-I dropped the PPF at time of order, but added the modular bumper after seeing it vs the plastic one. I dropped the tow package in December and now have a March 28th build date.

Can't comment on how much Ford pushed it through (They said they would do "something" but never specified what or how they did it) and I had a 10 priory code for the order at the dealership.

Erasmus

Badlands
First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are reservations made after mine with the same restraints that have already been delivered. Ford clearly underestimated the popularity of the Bronco, and left the early reservation holders out to dry.

Where are you getting this information that thousands of builds similar to yours with later reservation dates are getting built before yours. I didnt think that info was available.
Sponsored