Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

YouTube suggested this and I browsed through it. I’d recommend if you want to prepare yourself for what a dealership is trying to do to you and how they view you. In case you don’t wanna spend an hour, I included some key notes I got from it... hope it helps someone.

A few notes:
-what the customer wants to pay is immaterial
-salesman are the victims and customers just don’t know better.
-costumers think logically when they shop online or on the phone, we need to change that and make them think emotionally when they buy a car by getting them inside the car
-dealers will try to push your down payment, bc that lets them keep your attn on the monthly payment and not discount the car price for you. “Customer down payment is the only thing in their control”
-dealers want you to take you the cash incentive bc it’s easier for them to not qualify you for 0% interest. So figure out what saves you the most money on the end
-down payment is the key to profits. Don’t ask the customer what they want to put down, lead them to believe the credit companies require X amount, but don’t tell them they “require” it bc they don’t
Sponsored

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A few notes:
-what the customer wants to pay is immaterial
-salesman are the victims and customers just don’t know better.
-costumers think logically when they shop online or on the phone, we need to change that and make them think emotionally when they buy a car by getting them inside the car
-dealers will try to push your down payment, bc that lets them keep your attn on the monthly payment and not discount the car price for you. “Customer down payment is the only thing in their control”
-dealers want you to take you the cash incentive bc it’s easier for them to not qualify you for 0% interest. So figure out what saves you the most money on the end
-down payment is the key to profits. Don’t ask the customer what they want to put down, lead them to believe the credit companies require X amount, but don’t tell them they “require” it bc they don’t

I thought Zig was washed up by now, I had to listen to him in 1988 when I started and did not believe him then...and here he is with the same thing 22 yrs later..Oh well the good ole days

OP
OP
BroncoFanBoy

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I thought Zig was washed up by now, I had to listen to him in 1988 when I started and did not believe him then...and here he is with the same thing 22 yrs later..Oh well the good ole days
Haha, you know of that guy? I think most consumers will recognize many of the tactics he is preaching from past dealership experiences . Education and preparation never hurts.

What are your thoughts on the adoption rate of these sales tactics at dealerships in general? Pretty high?

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Haha, you know of that guy? I think most consumers will recognize many of the tactics he is preaching from past dealership experiences . Education and preparation never hurts.

What are your thoughts on the adoption rate of these sales tactics at dealerships in general? Pretty high?
Unfortunately that is whey they send us to those things to brainwash us into mental midgets... so probably high..

The ones that fully adopt that methodology are the ones you see bouncing from dealer to dealer as the antics catch them so they flee.

When I was a newbie it shocked me...Until my Dealer Principal (prior to Granger) told us in a sales meeting that customers are walking wallets and we need to extract all we can before they leave...

I had bought 3 vehicles from them prior to working there...

Sometimes I think that they say things just to say them and not realize the impact it leaves...

kimberbrowski

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just curious... Did you mean 1998 or 32 years ago? Or was that video made 10 years ago?

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Dealerships mainly take advantage of uneducated buyers.

Go in there with all your ducks in a row and you'll escape relatively unscathed.

For those that have reservations, it should be relatively easy until you get to the finance room when they try to sell you all the add-ons. Just be firm, but polite and try to study up on what they are going to try to sell you.

When I bought my F-150 they tried to sell me GAP, extended warranties, an interior protection package, a maintenance package, a paint protection package, and a few other things probably.

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious... Did you mean 1998 or 32 years ago? Or was that video made 10 years ago?
Me I came into the business 32 years ago and he was peddling the same line then... He wasn't quite that large at that time..

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Go in there with all your ducks in a row and you'll escape relatively unscathed.

For those that have reservations, it should be relatively easy until you get to the finance room when they try to sell you all the add-ons. Just be firm, but polite and try to study up on what they are going to try to sell you.

When I bought my F-150 they tried to sell me GAP, extended warranties, an interior protection package, a maintenance package, a paint protection package, and a few other things probably.
How many of those packages did you take ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
BroncoFanBoy

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Agree.. I feel relatively knowledgeable but have only purchased 1 car from a dealership. I think most people would be better prepared if they knew what the salesman goals really were at each step

Granger Ford

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree.. I feel relatively knowledgeable but have only purchased 1 car from a dealership. I think most people would be better prepared if they knew what the salesman goals really were at each step
Remember your favorite word when you walk in the doors.....NO

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Remember your favorite word when you walk in the doors.....NO
Hopefully won't have to use that too (at all) much where some folks might be reserved.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never bought a new car before, all of mine have been classics. So I have been watching videos and paying attention to what Granger Ford says here on the forums. I have a lot of family in Iowa, I only moved to Canada because my wife is from here. If it wasn't for the 20% duty charge at the border I would get my Bronco from Granger Ford. All that being said I am still confused about this whole dealership trying to take advantage of us talk. I am the one reserving it, ordering it with all the bells and whistles I want from the Ford website, and it's just being delivered to the dealership. So how is it that the dealership will try to screw me on anything other than in the finance office? It's not like this is a vehicle on their lot they are trying to sell me.

OP
OP
BroncoFanBoy

BroncoFanBoy

Base
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've never bought a new car before, all of mine have been classics. So I have been watching videos and paying attention to what Granger Ford says here on the forums. I have a lot of family in Iowa, I only moved to Canada because my wife is from here. If it wasn't for the 20% duty charge at the border I would get my Bronco from Granger Ford. All that being said I am still confused about this whole dealership trying to take advantage of us talk. I am the one reserving it, ordering it with all the bells and whistles I want from the Ford website, and it's just being delivered to the dealership. So how is it that the dealership will try to screw me on anything other than in the finance office? It's not like this is a vehicle on their lot they are trying to sell me.
Technically they shouldn’t be able to screw you bc you can take you business elsewhere. But they could try to add mandatory dealer ad on options, charge you msrp or above, and they will do everything they can to make you give them your money. But again, you have the option to place the order somewhere who’s parameters fit your needs better

Last edited:

Figment

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Technically they shouldn’t be able to screw you bc you can take you business elsewhere. But they could try to add mandatory dealer ad on options, charge you msrp or above, and they will do everything they can to make you give them your money. But again, you have the option to place the order somewhere who’s parameters fit your needs better
I think the concern is that the dealer acts like they are playing ball. You place your order. You go to pick up your shiny new Bronco and realize they’ve added 2k in BS dealer add ons. At that point the dealer holds all the cards and can sell your Bronco to whomever they please.

We all need to get something in writing about the final price before we commit to a dealer by 10-31.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Offroad
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the concern is that the dealer acts like they are playing ball. You place your order. You go to pick up your shiny new Bronco and realize they’ve added 2k in BS dealer add ons. At that point the dealer holds all the cards and can sell your Bronco to whomever they please.

We all need to get something in writing about the final price before we commit to a dealer by 10-31.
Hoping to get something in writing sooner than 10/31. Preferably right after the build and price tool comes out.
Sponsored