First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
So I messaged my buddy at Ford about if we’ve got updates coming soon/ what some of the dealios are with recent news. Here’s what I can disclose, I’ll start with the good news:

1. The raptor is either going to have a tuned 2.7 OR possibly a 3.0. To be decided.

2. Some form of prototype factory tube doors are being prototyped. They are trying like crazy to get them to pass crash tests. May be an aftermarket accessory though.

3. They are developing a BEV version. It’s a ways out though.

And now the mixed bag:

1. Pricing. It will start at a bit higher than a JL wrangler, HOWEVER there will not be a stripped down version with manual locks and windows it sounds like. Higher trims will actually undercut the Wrangler a bit. Honestly I wouldn’t buy a vehicle without power locks new so that’s fine by me!

The ugly:

Bronco will be the last 2021 model revealed. The electric mustang crossover is first, then F-150, then Bronco. He said we will see some teasers but full reveal will not be until midway through next year. So take that as you will.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I messaged my buddy at Ford about if we’ve got updates coming soon/ what some of the dealios are with recent news. Here’s what I can disclose, I’ll start with the good news:

1. The raptor is either going to have a tuned 2.7 OR possibly a 3.0. To be decided.

2. Some form of prototype factory tube doors are being prototyped. They are “trying like hell” to get them to pass crash tests. May be an aftermarket accessory though.

3. They are developing a BEV version. It’s a ways out though.

And now the mixed bag:

1. Pricing. It will start at a bit higher than a JL wrangler, HOWEVER there will not be a stripped down version with manual locks and windows it sounds like. Higher trims will actually undercut the Wrangler a bit. Honestly I wouldn’t buy a vehicle without power locks new so that’s fine by me!

The ugly:

Bronco will be the last 2021 model revealed. The baby and electric mustang crossover is first, then F-150, then Bronco. He said we will see some teasers but full reveal will not be until midway through next year. So take that as you will.
Not having a stripped down version is a mistake. you need that for an offroader. as little electronics as possible, manual hubs, stick, etc. without that option, it will fail as a class competitor.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not having a stripped down version is a mistake. you need that for an offroader. as little electronics as possible, manual hubs, stick, etc. without that option, it will fail as a class competitor.
Honestly I don’t agree from a business perspective. The amount of wrangler Sport base model vehicles that sell is probably low as hell compared to even Sport S and up. Manual hubs will never happen nowadays, manual tranny will still be an option likely.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Honestly I don’t agree from a business perspective. The amount of wrangler Sport base model vehicles that sell is probably low as hell compared to even Sport S and up. Manual hubs will never happen nowadays, manual tranny will still be an option likely.
then leave it as a special order item, but itshould be there for customizers.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
then leave it as a special order item, but itshould be there for customizers.
I just don’t think it’s worth it from an economy of scale/ worth the R&D to develop. Electric windows and locks are so much better nowadays as well, just makes it so much less worthwhile.

Sponsored

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just don’t think it’s worth it from an economy of scale/ worth the R&D to develop. Electric windows and locks are so much better nowadays as well, just makes it so much less worthwhile.
eh, ok. windows and locks, ok. but hubs, dude. those have to be manual. Must be. and if they can't be changed, then there is zero chance that I am going for this truck. Zero. The vacuum hubs on the 200-2013 f-250s lasted all of 20k miles, and the electrics on the 2014+ start having issues at 50k+. both of my 250s I have to manually lock them for 4wd to work, a 2006 and 2014, both with under 200k on the clock right now. (180 on the 06 and 105 on the 14) the 06 hasnt worked since I got it at 120k miles.

same goes for T-case. I have not had issues with mine, and don't know many who have. But for my play toys, and others with them, being able to feel, manually, that they are locked in, is a must. If I moved my 06 up to over 37s to make it an off road toy, then I'd be changing out to a 205 so I could have a shifter on the tcase. Manualy tranny even more so, but thats a given for anyone who does performance/consistency aspects of cars and trucks. (yes, the A10 is faster than the M82, but less reliable and consistent)

Just saying, in some worlds, simplicity sells. It doesn't have to be every model on the lot, but there needs to be an option to get a rubber floor and manual everything in a truck, or a V8 mustang that weighs less than 3900 lbs. Because the real, true, performance junkies out there don't give a rats ass about leather and heated seats, or being able to have some bad ass sound system. They want the simplest and strongest base frame to work off of to build a beast.

Also, to compete with the Jeep, you need to come in at the same price point for the lower end. It IS, and always has been, the lower models that sell your product more than anything. Yeah, they may not by the 24k ecoboost mustang, you upsell them to the 31k eco premium. But it was that 24k model they saw online/billboard that got them into the stealership. Same on the trucks., it is that F-150 for 23k that gets you in, then they sell you on the V8 with 4wd and sync3 that gets you into a 40k truck when all you really needed was a ranger. (granted, the new ranger cost as much as an f-150, but thats another discussion for another day). Even the guy buying the 70k F-150 platinum is there because he could've gotten the base truck for 23k, or the exact same drivetrain truck for 35k.

BroncoBuyer

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Base
.[/QUOTE]

I’m going to have to side with the sausage man here..
Without having the option of a strippy model the hard core guys that like to build, Fab, modify and customize won’t be able to afford the buy in and just consider it a fancy mall crawler..

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Without having the option of a strippy model the hard core guys that like to build, Fab, modify and customize won’t be able to afford the buy in and just consider it a fancy mall crawler..
They will, but not for another 3-10 years, when they can be picked up cheap on the used/salvage market. In that time the vehicle could fail to build a reputation as capable because so few people are willing to take an expensive electrowidget laden vehicle off road -- and with a poor reputation it could get discontinued before it ever gets anywhere.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you saying that as in a "budget" version for the f-150 Raptor, or for the HO version of the Bronco...

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nine months is WAYYY to long to contemplate my navel absent any real info. So guys I'll wish you a Happy Halloween, Happy Thanksgiving, Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, Happy Valentines AND Happy Easter! See y'all mid-2020 :)

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If a HO engine is needed for a performance trim, I would expect the 3.0L ecoboost to have more to offer. As I've said before, it would lend some butch perception to the Explorer and Aviator using it to have it featured in a special off road version of the Bronco too. At half a liter smaller than the F150s it shouldn't step on anyones **** either, but it sounds like they might be getting a bigger engine option for that anyway.

It still leaves the question, of the 2.7/3.0 is the 'performance' trim engine, what are the 'normal' options?

2. Some form of prototype factory tube doors are being prototyped. They are “trying like hell” to get them to pass crash tests. May be an aftermarket accessory though.
As flimsy as sheetmetal seems, tacking it onto something else creates a lot of extra strength. Being a Ford Performance or dealer option would still one-up Jeep, there are lots of people asking for half-doors for the Wrangler and that hasn't materialized.

The ugly:
Bronco will be the last 2021 model revealed. The baby and electric mustang crossover is first, then F-150, then Bronco. He said we will see some teasers but full reveal will not be until midway through next year. ...
Not really a surprise. Since the big list of 2020 new/update models this has seemed like the progression of things. I do wonder where some of the other less mentioned new models or trims might fit in the announcements.

Will the aforementioned BroncoBronco Raptor/Tremor be available right away, or are people going to wait another year or two for that, and will Ford tell us? We know the "yet to be named rugged off road small utility" is coming first by at least a few months, but what about the other supposed Bronco theme ("branded") models, or the limited editions or whatever those other regional names were?

bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Without having the option of a strippy model the hard core guys that like to build, Fab, modify and customize won’t be able to afford the buy in and just consider it a fancy mall crawler..[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately, this represents a tiny sliver of the market. Probably smaller than people who want to drive manual sports cars like myself, for example. Look at the new Supra. Even the new 3 and 4 series bimmers don't offer a manual option, save for the upcoming M's.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unfortunately, this represents a tiny sliver of the market. Probably smaller than people who want to drive manual sports cars like myself, for example. Look at the new Supra. Even the new 3 and 4 series bimmers don't offer a manual option, save for the upcoming M's.[/QUOTE]

that is the case, a small section of the market. But it is that section of the market that drives sales by giving the Bronco a reputation. It is the same with Jeep. If the Jeep couldn't perform off road, it would not be a popular mall crawler. It is the builders, the hard core, that gives reputations of capabilities to Jeep, or other similar vehicles, and that reputation that is earned is what drives sales and keeps a model alive.

Without appealing to that very critical segment, the Bronco will never take off.

OP
OP
Nickp

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Teocali he was talking entirely about the Bronco Raptor. He did mention the last long-term application of the 3.5 will be the HO in the raptor and platinum F-150.

Stampede, he specifically stated the raptor would get a *tuned* 2.7, whatever that would entail. Normal engines would just be the 2.3 in the current ranger, and the untuned 2.7.

With the tube doors, absolutely which is why I think they’re having a tough time with it. He wouldn’t detail what type of tube doors they were, the airbag ones or the door within a door, like I said he will just clear up miscommunication and clarify some things. His basic message was that the patents we’re seeing are not all going to come to fruition. But that we can look to them to see where Ford’s head is at with this vehicle :)

jimmy and BBos, I get the frustration. I think Ford has determined that having two stripped down manual door/lock vehicles is just not going to work and they cannot compete with Jeep. Remember that when people think badass Jeep they aren’t thinking about a Sport manual everything, steel wheels, and open diffs. You’re going straight to Rubicon. But they are going after Jeep directly for Sport S and above trims, and aim to beat them.

Last edited:

Skifryan

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 300
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hope they give me a good deal when I trade my 2021 bronco for a Bronco BEV in however many years that takes.
Sponsored