LoneStar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Most all these questions and presumptions will finally get some real-world results starting next summer 2021. Rivian will start selling their R1T electric truck with the R1S (SUV) following shortly.

If half of what Rivian is claiming is achieved, it will reinvent most future Adventure vehicles . There will always be a place and reasons for ICE platforms.

Very interesting that some significant real-world evaluation is already underway:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The problem with the electric truck is going to be range if you use that power. 1000hp is 745kW, so if you are using all that, you are pulling 0.21 kW*hr from the battery every second (without accounting for losses, assuming 100% efficiency). The Tesla Model S, with the biggest battery came with 220 kW*hr capacity (IIRC), so you would drain that in 18 minutes and cover about 60 miles, if you could go 200 mph. Now, no one (outside a race track) drives around with their foot to the floor all the time, but the point, in a truck, to that kind of horsepower and torque numbers is towing, surely.

The Tesla S claimed a 200+ mile range for that battery, but this Hummer is probably twice the weight and twice the frontal area, so twice the power draw, empty, so 100-150 miles range. Towing a trailer that doubles the weight of the vehicle (something like 9-10,000 lb for the truck, similar for the trailer), now you have 1/4th the range, and are looking at 50-75 miles. That battery pack is probably 1500 lbs already, so increased capacity will just increase the curb weight and you will not double the range (but the expense will certainly go up).

Off road, you will use lots of power at low speeds, so the range will drop dramatically. Hard to see this working out well, really. TFL Truck did a video on this and documented the impacts with a Tesla Model X. They were pretty serious about it and their numbers line up with this reasonably well.
So they'll be as inefficient as they were back in the old days huh?

Wonder how many of the 5 E-Humjobs you'll find stranded on the trails

Sponsored

Doc Rocket

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Base, Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
I love love love electric. I bought a cheap electric car used just to try it out and love it. Also have an electric mtn bike I built that is so fun. I test rode Zero bikes and the new Harley Livewire and loved them both.

If your sphere of movement within the day is within the battery range It makes perfect sense. I reset my tripmeter everyday for a couple weeks on my ICE car before I bought my electric car just to see how much I drive everyday.. I had no idea. Turns out 90% of days are <50 miles for me.

It is so cool to wake up everyday with a full tank and pretty much zero maintenance but.. the biggest addiction is instant torque with no shifts. Just quiet uninterrupted seamless power..

Electric makes a lot of sense for 4x4 applications as well I think.. except the elephant in the room.. range. The beauty of a 4x4 is exploring wherever wanderlust takes you. Range anxiety takes the fun out of adventure. Everything else about electric would be sweet for off-road.

So until range is 1,200 miles.. A plug in with range extender, like the BMW i3 would be perfect.

The gives the advantages of a full electric drivetrain that can be plugged in and run electric for weekdays around town and all the <50 miles/day stuff. But on the weekend put gas in the range extender ICE and go explore to hearts content. I see so much more wildlife on my electric mtn bike than I did on my dirtbikes because its so quiet. Electric range of a 4x4 could be saved for those occasions. The Volt can do it currently..

So yeah I think an all electric Hummer pickup is still going to be a tough sell for a few years to general public.. but if Chevy put the Volt drivetrain in a 4x4 configuration in an H3 revival with removal top and doors.. that could be seriously cool.
I would agree with this. Electric makes sense if you never need to leave town--for a commuter car that goes 20 miles each way to work, it can work out well (until the inevitable battery replacement, but that is a different question). "Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house", not so much. If you run out of gas a 5 mile hike with a gas can sucks, but can be done. If the battery goes dead, you are not coming back with a 5 mile extension cord, and if you do, it is still how many hours to charge up? Serious issues if your only car is electric.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just like with the Mustang, the Raptor, and now the Bronco... Ford proves yet again that they are leading the way.
Unless you want a car, then ford says buzz off we stopped making those

Kidding

But the generator/power station on the f150 hybrid.... That's some great thinking there. Very smart

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I would agree with this. Electric makes sense if you never need to leave town--for a commuter car that goes 20 miles each way to work, it can work out well (until the inevitable battery replacement, but that is a different question). "Over the river and through the woods to Grandmother's house", not so much. If you run out of gas a 5 mile hike with a gas can sucks, but can be done. If the battery goes dead, you are not coming back with a 5 mile extension cord, and if you do, it is still how many hours to charge up? Serious issues if your only car is electric.

That's just old thinking

With some electrics having 300 mile range and charge speeds constantly improving you can easily go electric without much compromise

No oil changes, starting every day with a "full tank"
Chargers are all over the place too

I dislike Tesla but they have made electric ownership very simple. I see Tesla's way out in the middle of nowhere, places where gas stations are 40 miles apart at times....

Now if someone would just make an appealing electric car that wasn't either a Tesla or a econobox I'd buy one

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nobody cares about an expensive electric Hummer. And from the silhouette of it in that commercial I saw it doesn't look that great. At least the shape anyway.

Sponsored

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They really missed the boat with the Blazer. I had no idea they had made a comeback until my wife pointed one out on the road. I was like “meh”. I like the Traverse better.

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would add Toyota to that list. The 4Runner is great but its now a dinosaur in terms of tech and features.
Buddy of mine just got a 2020 4Runner TRD Pro in army green. It’s pretty BA. it has the bash plates and rock sliders, but I’m not sure on the suspension.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nobody cares about an expensive electric Hummer. And from the silhouette of it in that commercial I saw it doesn't look that great. At least the shape anyway.
Shape definitely looked cool. Only way I’d buy a battery powered vehicle is there was absolutely no other choice.

The Driving Viking

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Sasquatch 2022 Willys Xtreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Shape definitely looked cool. Only way I’d buy a battery powered vehicle is there was absolutely no other choice.
Especially if you want a vehicle for Overlanding. I doubt there will be charging ports in the middle of nowhere. Lol.. I think it will be expensive as hell and a rich person and the Tesla type crowd toy. Probably more of a luxury suv.

OP
OP
Ajusaf

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Especially if you want a vehicle for Overlanding. I doubt there will be charging ports in the middle of nowhere. Lol.. I think it will be expensive as hell and a rich person and the Tesla type crowd toy. Probably more of a luxury suv.
That's why tesla should be offering add on battery source that can connect to your frunk and trunk. So you can get more distance otherwise bring some solar panels and camp out for a few days while it charges ?
Sponsored