Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing cool
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Having 35s over 33s will be more capable in that type of terrain...no question, even with the tiny bit less articulation in it to keep the tire from hitting. No way they chose the 33 version because it is more capable. It’s not.
It is pretty damn capable though as has been demonstrated, and will be awesome out of the box.
Dunno dude, I’m not running the test, just what I’d read.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Except the lift, mud terrains and what appears to be a front locker.
Rubicon comes with front and rear lockers, about 3/4" lift and sway bar disconnects.

This is mine on a 2-1/2' lift and 34" tires.
Ford Bronco Video: 2021 Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Crawling Back-to-Back at Moab IMG_6459

This is 33's on OEM Rubcon springs pre-lift:
Ford Bronco Video: 2021 Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Crawling Back-to-Back at Moab 38F91697-5FA9-47DE-80AF-0EED76F3BD6D_1_105_c

Maybe, but @jimbo92 's does not look lifted as much in the picture, even if those tires are 35's:
Ford Bronco Video: 2021 Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Crawling Back-to-Back at Moab Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 10.58.53 AM

Stock specs:
JKUR 20.8 breakover, 10.5 ground clearance, 116" wheelbase

JLUR 20.3 breakover, 10.8 ground clearance, 118.4" wheelbase

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m not saying they don’t have a leg to stand on. But if you go over to the JL forums you will find people who don’t have one nice thing to say about the Bronco. They are so threatened by competition that they must counterpoint even the smallest things. I know there are probably bronco homers here as well. I’m just having fun with it.

this tweet sums it up nicely...

Ford Bronco Video: 2021 Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Crawling Back-to-Back at Moab Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 10.58.53 AM
Taking the middle road here. Was the comparison apples to apples, maybe include a 2-door jeep...(no I don't own a jeep or any 4x4 at this time)? This world is big enough to accommodate all kinds of off-roaders. I imagine someday I'll be sharing the trail or traveling with all brands of vehicles. Just want to have fun, without making it a pissin'-match. Bronco's did make it look pretty effortless ;)

Mikesmallcrawler21

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 F150 screw
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do we have any videos of these crossing curbing of different styles? Maybe on 37's , my only concern is flex and rubbing? And while im at, can we see these maneuvering in front yards in grass, I dont want to be disappointed when I have to pull off the concrete to park in a level yard. ?... in the real world this is my only concerns... I do not off road.?

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Rubicons have front lockers factory installed. Rubicons used to come from the factory with BFG KM tires installed. I think they may be getting KO2s from the factory now.
KO2s are the default but mud terrains are a not cost option on the Rubi.

It's possible this was just a tire thing. Those Goodyear Goodyear's just grabbed the rock better.

Doesn't matter though, the Broncos killed it.

Last edited:

Sponsored

xXChartmanXx

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Better articulation on the non-squatch apparently. Also might be trying to do apples to apples as best they can.
They do have a Sasquatch there with them (The hard top 4 door that's not in this video). Pretty sure this is a direct comparison of similar models with 33's. The videos they've shown of the Sassy from MOAB, that thing is eating everything they throw at it easy. The higher clearance suspension and 35's are no comparison to the Jeep stock.

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Curious about the BL rock crawl GOAT mode, what does it actually do (was it even in that mode)? I mean the manual walked up no problem which is what I was thinking the GOAT mode would allow the auto to do (at least close since no crawler gear), but I may be over estimating what these modes can actually do. Just curious, not hating.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The Jeep and bronco took really similar lines, Jimbo was a few inches to the right. Did this make the difference? Who knows, who cares. The point is the Jeep guys need to eat their crow. If the off road king was so much better than the Bronco out of the box, all these little excuses would be null and void. I think off road, they will be neck and neck. On road will be a different story. By the way, I have really enjoyed this forum and the people on it and don't want to get anyone ticked off, but I just couldn't let this go unsaid. I will shut up now.

Gasman

Big Bend
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The Jeep guys are going to be so defensive over this video. “Propoganda I tell you! They purposely didn’t get the Jeep up there in the first try! Let’s see them crawl over some real rocks!!” Etc etc. *insert eye roll here* :rolleyes:
Im in a Jeep club and there is so much butt hurt over the Bronco. So many people upset they no longer are the ones that get to drive around doorless in a better looking suv.

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Curious about the BL rock crawl GOAT mode, what does it actually do (was it even in that mode)? I mean the manual walked up no problem which is what I was thinking the GOAT mode would allow the auto to do (at least close since no crawler gear), but I may be over estimating what these modes can actually do. Just curious, not hating.
It’s two different styles:

The crawling manuals will just slowly roll up, and let it slowly climb, and keep letting it do that until it becomes obvious a little gas and wheel spin are needed to get up over

The autos will use the viscous connection to make up for reduced crawl, but once on the obstacle will use power and heated tire friction to power up and over.

That viscous connection can be useful when you go over a random rock in 4WH. With an MT sometimes you have to switch to 4WL and put it in 1st (or now crawl) and then idle up and over. (My cousin was laughing at me stalling when I was too lazy to stop and switch...)

Auto has an ease of use advantage for sure.

Sponsored

John Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500/ Jeep Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do we have any confirmation that any of this (Rubicon/Moab) is a demonstration or is this just the most analyzed/critiqued wheeling trip ever?
I do understand that this is Ford’s marketing at work and it’s a grassroots marketing campaign/ photo op.
My point being, this appears to be a few guys playing follow the leader through iconic off-road destinations and the internet is like did you see how much better the Bronco parked within the lines of that parking space? The Bronco is the GOAT parking vehicle of all time!
I know i sound like a dick most of the time but I’m just trying to put a little balance to the discussion.

I’m stoked about the return of the Bronco too, I promise. But let’s just remember what it is. It takes YEARS for something to become legendary.

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s two different styles:

The crawling manuals will just slowly roll up, and let it slowly climb, and keep letting it do that until it becomes obvious a little gas and wheel spin are needed to get up over

The autos will use the viscous connection to make up for reduced crawl, but once on the obstacle will use power and heated tire friction to power up and over.

That viscous connection can be useful when you go over a random rock in 4WH. With an MT sometimes you have to switch to 4WL and put it in 1st (or now crawl) and then idle up and over. (My cousin was laughing at me stalling when I was too lazy to stop and switch...)

Auto has an ease of use advantage for sure.
Gotcha, thank you for that! Also the story at the end sounds like something I would do except end up on YouTube and become "that guy".

icavedin

Base
First Name
Ami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'86 4runner, '91 318iS, '07 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do we have any confirmation that any of this (Rubicon/Moab) is a demonstration or is this just the most analyzed/critiqued wheeling trip ever?
I do understand that this is Ford’s marketing at work and it’s a grassroots marketing campaign/ photo op.
My point being, this appears to be a few guys playing follow the leader through iconic off-road destinations and the internet is like did you see how much better the Bronco parked within the lines of that parking space? The Bronco is the GOAT parking vehicle of all time!
I know i sound like a dick most of the time but I’m just trying to put a little balance to the discussion.

I’m stoked about the return of the Bronco too, I promise. But let’s just remember what it is. It takes YEARS for something to become legendary.
This.

Not to mention that the video clearly annotates that the Jeep eventually made it up, but the cut scenes look to be misconstruing (read: misleading) people’s perception of reality.
For all we know that could’ve been the Broncos’ 2nd or 3rd attempt and the Jeep’s 1st.

I have no affiliation w/ FCA or Ford as I come from the yota scene, but the rivalry between both parties can come off as toxic; especially when we’re all supposed to be helping eachother when exploring off the beaten path.

Last edited:

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We could go back and forth nitpicking, but the reality is Jeep guys were so mouthy until a direct comparison was made, now their backpedaling like there's no tomorrow. I have been sick of the Bronco/Jeep comparisons for some time as I don't really care. However, I can't let this slide. Guys who said the Jeep was better stock for stock lost this battle and can't handle it. Their world is imploding right now over one rock. Now can we ban all Bronco vs Jeep talk on the site and just enjoy the Bronco?
This! They’re both great machines and competition will only improve both.

Don’t need to trash Jeep to enjoy my Bronco, Lord willing we make it to 2021 lol.

Great job Ford!! She more than holds her own

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Motor Trend described the group at the Rubicon as "massive" and called it a "planned spy shot opportunity."
Sponsored