Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I read somewhere one of the Bronco test drivers said drive a crew cab Ranger 4wd if you want to know what the Bronco is like. Did just that today. It was factory lifter with 285/70s on it. Initial impressions are the 2.3 should generate enough power and torque for the Bronco especially once tuned. I was dead set on automatic trans and 2.7 for the Bronco until today, mainly because of transmission. The Ranger slushbox was constantly trying to figure out where it needed to be just pulling out of the parking lot and it got even worse driving backroads. Very disheartening on that front. May be changing my mind to 2.3, manual, non sasquatch (of course), Badlands.
Ford Bronco Drove a crew cab 4wd Ranger today 20200810_123938
Sponsored

Last edited:

Walnut

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
old ass beater
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What about ride quality? Handling? Was that Ranger fitted with mud-terrains or all-terrains?

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

So I read somewhere the lead Bronco engineer said drive a crew cab Ranger 4wd if you want to know what the Bronco is like. Did just that today. It was factory lifter with 285/70s on it. Initial impressions are the 2.3 should generate enough power and torque for the Bronco especially once tuned. I was dead set on automatic trans and 2.7 for the Bronco until today, mainly because of transmission. The Ranger slushbox was constantly trying to figure out where it needed to be just pulling out of the parking lot and it got even worse driving backroads. Very disheartening on that front. May be changing my mind to 2.3, manual, non sasquatch (of course), Badlands.
Ford Bronco Drove a crew cab 4wd Ranger today 20200810_123938
Wonder if the diff ratios were updated for the 285s.

OP
OP
TNcoupe

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What about ride quality? Handling? Was that Ranger fitted with mud-terrains or all-terrains?
Ride quality was fine. Handling is ok I guess, Ive driven hot hatches for 18 years so I dont really have a good comparison.....It doesnt carve corners like my Veloster N ?. They were Toyo Open Country or something. Looked like an AT.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TNcoupe

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wonder if the diff ratios were updated for the 285s.
I dont know. It had FX shocks on it with Fuel wheels and electric fold down side steps. Im gonna say the diffs werent regeared for it.

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP
TNcoupe

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 10 speed is a learning transmission, it gets better the more you drive it.
Ok but both my legs work for now so that manual transmission will learn when I push the clutch in.

Sponsored

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The 5G Rangers all have 3.73 gears, so the 2.3L with the 7 speed should feel a lot peppier off the line since it will have the 4.70 gears.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The 10 speed is a learning transmission, it gets better the more you drive it.
That is unfortunately the exact same line the service guys a ford kept spouting about the powershift in the focuses

Of course this 10 speed is not mechanically related in any way, but the similarities in description are striking

OP
OP
TNcoupe

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And driving it today made me wonder if they were gonna put the premium price on the manual transmission instead of paying more for an auto which is the traditional way of pricing.

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And driving it today made me wonder if they were gonna put the premium price on the manual transmission instead of paying more for an auto which is the traditional way of pricing.
Trims that have a manual come with it standard, so you already know the prices for it.

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That is unfortunately the exact same line the service guys a ford kept spouting about the powershift in the focuses

Of course this 10 speed is not mechanically related in any way, but the similarities in description are striking
Standard corporate response:
- Deny: There is no problem, "Technician couldn't replicate issue."
- Deflect: It's just learning, give it some time, hopefully long enough for the warranty to expire.
- Blame: You're driving it wrong, it's BETTER than a normal transmission so you have to drive it differently. Learn to drive, dummy!

This is repeated over and over by both the manufacturer and their willing sycophants online until finally a class-action lawsuit gets some relief to the victims.
Sponsored