First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee; 2016 Dodge Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3 is a good motor and the turbos have been solid. The old turbo stigma doesn't apply anymore. Coming is common on most early direct injection motors, but Ford has allegedly worked on the ventilation to help. If I go 2.3, I will just use some intake cleaner for DI engines every other oil change.
Is this something you can just have done at the dealer for regular service on a DI engine? I don't know, never had one, so I'm sincerely asking. I'm assuming you're doing your own work but I don't really have that option.

If I could just say to the service lane guys to add in intake cleaning service every other oil change, I'd probably do it just to be safe, although I feel like from what I've read the issues with coked up valves is overblown.

Still leaning toward the 2.3 on my Badlands just to get he manual transmission.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Idk, I feel like the way you put it makes it sound like it's a bigger issue than it really is. Personally, I'm more comfortable going with an engine who's minor issues are known and manageable, and somewhat preventable, rather than an engine that's not tried and tested yet.
I’ll give you that known issues are easier to expect and fix than a new engine, but it’s burdensome to go from the hundreds of different engines built since the 80s that no longer require points to be adjusted or carbs to be adjusted for altitude, Or even valve lash adjustment and get an engine that has to have special care taken to prevent an issue that should never have even existed in 2020.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This finally explains why the cargo area is so jacked up on the bronco

That 4" gap in the cargo are that can get filled with the pull out shelf will be filled up with batteries

The cargo area was designed to hold that battery pack ?

pandapaul

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

THIS IS THE ONE THAT I WANT TO RESERVE!!! ? Now there will be a Bronco on Every Other Street Corner before I get Mine ?
I'm so with you, and I don't know what to do. I have a First Edition reserved but I've wanted a hybrid the whole way through. So what do we do? Trade in after a year? Ughhhhh. That's going to waste some money for sure. Waiting another year? I've already waited 15. I guess I could go one more.... but I sure don't want to.

Bleh.

Sponsored

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The 2.3L has known coking issues, and looking around the Ranger forum has beyond a reasonable number of engine failures.
Forums do not provide statistically significant data sets, that is cherry picking. You can pick any source you want but make sure the survey data set is representative of the broader population. Love it or hate it Consumer Reports only shows data in the years they have enough people respond to their questionnaire. If they don't have that, the issue column is marked with an X.

This report shows engine failures are not a statistically significant event, in fact for the latest model year the Ranger Engine Major and Engine Minor receive the highest or second highest rating.

Ford Bronco Report: 2022 Bronco Hybrid Will Get a 3.0-Liter V6, Up To 450+ HP Ford Ranger CR

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Forums do not provide statistically significant data sets, that is cherry picking. You can pick any source you want but make sure the survey data set is representative of the broader population. Love it or hate it Consumer Reports only shows data in the years they have enough people respond to their questionnaire. If they don't have that, the issue column is marked with an X.

This report show engine failures are not a statistically significant event, in fact for the latest model year the Ranger Engine Major and Engine Minor receive the highest or second highest rating.

Ford Bronco Report: 2022 Bronco Hybrid Will Get a 3.0-Liter V6, Up To 450+ HP Ford Ranger CR
We both know consumer reports have had content bought by manufacturers for over a decade. It’s a bigger joke in the auto world than J.D Powah. Just no great YouTube videos like JD Powah has.

Broncofly

First Edition
First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well, after reading only three pages of comments I guess I shouldn't be surprised. ?‍♂ Amazing what tac and social civility have turned into....and yeah, its a forum so why should I be surprised. Sorry but between the........this sucks, that sucks and you suck......you lost me. No points........... Seems anyone writing....Hybrid, Electric, solar, Zero Emissions in an auto forum......you can see the Confirmation Bias Hulk rip his clothes off. I guess Its amazing the conversation that could be taking place instead of most of what is. I'm sure I'll be torn apart for writing that.

Soooo.......anyway........

Was anyone really that surprised that a hybrid "could" be coming? Add to that, Jeep is trying to put an all electric Wrangler together! Its already been shown off at the last big auto show. Throw in pressure from the Cybertruck to the Rivian and what we all know will eventually lead to an SUV version of those soon after. To me, all I see is Ford adopting to the times.?‍♂ As for a V8 or some other "R" version of the Bronco.......I'm going into this Bronco purchase with eyes wide open. I have ZERO doubt that Ford will cash in where they can, they build trucks to sell trucks and try to predict where that money is. The worlds preferences for vehicles is constantly changing but one thing seems clear, the kids these days are not really as interested in certain types of cars and trucks......and I'll add motorcycles to that conversation as well. Wether thats money related or simple preferences seems a mystery to the big car and motorcycle companies and they are desperately trying to figure that out.

Soo......anyone else having a nice cup of coffee? ☕:rolleyes:

cowgoesmoo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Mustang v6
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As much as I would love for it to be true, 2022 seems too early. Like why not make it available at launch at that point. 2024 or 23 seem more likely. But if it’s available in 22’ then I’m game for this hybrid version

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
We both know consumer reports have had content bought by manufacturers for over a decade. It’s a bigger joke in the auto world than J.D Powah. Just no great YouTube videos like JD Powah has.
That's pretty far from accurate, CR doesn't take ads and they buy their own cars for long term tests

They don't look at cars with an enthusiasts eye and tend to recommend boring cars, that's why people look at CR as a joke. It because their criteria is different than an enthusiasts criteria.

Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well, after reading only three pages of comments I guess I shouldn't be surprised. ?‍♂ Amazing what tac and social civility have turned into....and yeah, its a forum so why should I be surprised. Sorry but between the........this sucks, that sucks and you suck......you lost me. No points........... Seems anyone writing....Hybrid, Electric, solar, Zero Emissions in an auto forum......you can see the Confirmation Bias Hulk rip his clothes off. I guess Its amazing the conversation that could be taking place instead of most of what is. I'm sure I'll be torn apart for writing that.

Soooo.......anyway........

Was anyone really that surprised that a hybrid "could" be coming? Add to that, Jeep is trying to put an all electric Wrangler together! Its already been shown off at the last big auto show. Throw in pressure from the Cybertruck to the Rivian and what we all know will eventually lead to an SUV version of those soon after. To me, all I see is Ford adopting to the times.?‍♂ As for a V8 or some other "R" version of the Bronco.......I'm going into this Bronco purchase with eyes wide open. I have ZERO doubt that Ford will cash in where they can, they build trucks to sell trucks and try to predict where that money is. The worlds preferences for vehicles is constantly changing but one thing seems clear, the kids these days are not really as interested in certain types of cars and trucks......and I'll add motorcycles to that conversation as well. Wether thats money related or simple preferences seems a mystery to the big car and motorcycle companies and they are desperately trying to figure that out.

Soo......anyone else having a nice cup of coffee? ☕:rolleyes:
Agreed, as an engineer on my late 20s I have plenty of expendable income and Ford should cash in where the buying power is at.

gryphon1231

First Name
dj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
na
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

TFLcar, citing a unnamed source, claims that the 2022 Bronco Hybrid (PHEV) will use the 3.0L V6 EcoBoost engine from the Explorer ST and Aviator Grand Touring.

Now, we have new information suggesting exactly how the Bronco Hybrid will take shape. Reports to date have suggested the body-on-frame SUV will borrow hybrid powertrain components from either the F-150 or Explorer Hybrid. According to our source, those earlier reports are broadly accurate.

We reached out to Ford for comment, and a company spokesperson replied that they do not comment on future product. That is typical for these sorts of stories, so we will have to wait and see whether time and Ford’s own development teams flesh out this information with an actual vehicle.

Here’s how a Bronco Hybrid could work
As it stands, the Ford Bronco Hybrid will use the company’s new modular hybrid transmission. It’s the same 10-speed unit mated with an electric motor that Ford currently employs in the Explorer Hybrid as well as the Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring, and will use in the F-150 Hybrid. Note that this is a “modular” transmission, which means that the gasoline engine bolted to it could vary from vehicle to vehicle. That is the case with the Bronco Hybrid which is currently in development.

While the Explorer Hybrid uses a 3.3-liter V6 engine and the F-150 Hybrid uses a 3.5-liter powertrain, the Bronco Hybrid will reportedly go a different route. Our information suggests the SUV will use a 3.0-liter V6 engine. The twin-turbo EcoBoost unit currently sees service in the Ford Explorer ST and the Lincoln Aviator Grand Touring, with the latter seeing up to 494 horsepower. On its own, the engine produces 400 horsepower and 415 lb-ft of torque in both those cars.

Could a Bronco Hybrid make more than 450 horsepower?
To be clear, our source did not mention specific output, or any further figures beyond the engine’s displacement. We are not suggesting that the Bronco will have Aviator levels of power, based on the information w e currently have. Both the Explorer and F-150 Hybrid models use a 35-kW (47 horsepower) electric motor sandwiched into the 10-speed automatic transmission, and it’s likely the Ford Bronco Hybrid will do the same. The Explorer Hybrid manages 318 horsepower and 322 lb-ft of torque the way it’s configured, while we could expect a decent power bump from a more powerful engine.

Mind you, the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon that’s currently in development manages 450 horsepower and 450 lb-ft of torque. We don’t have an idea how the plug-in hybrid Wrangler 4xe will manage yet, but a 400 horsepower V6 and 47 horsepower electric motor would put the Bronco Hybrid in the same ballpark for best-in-class power.

There is currently one catch
Unfortunately, it may be awhile before we actually see a Ford Bronco Hybrid. Our source also stated that the model has been delayed. That’s hardly a surprising outcome given the current global situation and the explosive demand for the gasoline-powered Bronco. However, the electrified version may not see daylight until the 2022 model year. Before that, we may see Ford’s official unveiling in 2021.

Full article at: https://www.tflcar.com/2020/08/2022-ford-bronco-hybrid-leak-news/
I'm really not buying the whole hybrid/EV thing as a serious off roader. Ford is really going to have to prove the that a hybrid/EV can stand up to the rigors of serious hardcore off roading whether that be slinging mud, playing on rocks, running all out in the desert or even just overloading.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Is this something you can just have done at the dealer for regular service on a DI engine? I don't know, never had one, so I'm sincerely asking. I'm assuming you're doing your own work but I don't really have that option.

If I could just say to the service lane guys to add in intake cleaning service every other oil change, I'd probably do it just to be safe, although I feel like from what I've read the issues with coked up valves is overblown.

Still leaning toward the 2.3 on my Badlands just to get he manual transmission.
Yes, service lane should be able to do it on request. It is different than fuel additive though and needs to be specified. Here's a link to the Lucas brand with a good write up. Don't let the internet scare you about these motors too much. Yes, I am a Master Certified mechanic and do all my own stunts.

https://lucasoil.com/gdi/

uncledoodoo

Everglades
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 XJ, 56 F100, 11 Volvo XC90, Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Lets just get to the 2021 first, it looks like Ford is more focused on 2022 and making Bronco movies than getting this done.