Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For me it wouldn't be about being as green as possible, but trying to go further in between gas stops if this becomes my only vehicle. But with all the arm-chair engineers and mechanics (no offense cause some have actually given some great info) in these threads I just keep getting more confused. "These engines suck!" "These engines are great!" "The 10 speed sucks!" "The 10 speed is awesome!" "33s are crap, go 35s" "35s are crap go with 33s" "both suck go with 37s." Feel like I'm going in circles being on here haha. You guys may end up having me buy a Fiesta by accident ?.
Lol, I feel you. Both the 2.3 and 2.7 are reliable engines and have been in Ford's lineup for years now. The earlier issues they had were all addressed in the next generations. To be honest the 10 speed auto is probably the best auto trans on the market today and probably will be for a few generations. I'm a multiple Ecoboost owner with the first gen 3.5 in my F150 and have the 2.0 Ecoboost on our Edge Titanium: we've had zero issues out of both. I'm no engineer, but I can tell you from my experience the reliability is definitely there.
Sponsored

BroncoBoy22

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang GT 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My advice is don’t wait on the hybrid unless you already were going to wait until 2023 to purchase anyway. laj.tuxmek confirmed it was still a few years out before he left the forums

SkullsWalk

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 VW GTI 3-Door Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol, I feel you. Both the 2.3 and 2.7 are reliable engines and have been in Ford's lineup for years now. The earlier issues they had were all addressed in the next generations. To be honest the 10 speed auto is probably the best auto trans on the market today and probably will be for a few generations. I'm a multiple Ecoboost owner with the first gen 3.5 in my F150 and have the 2.0 Ecoboost on our Edge Titanium: we've had zero issues out of both. I'm no engineer, but I can tell you from my experience the reliability is definitely there.
Thank you! That's the impression I've been getting for the most part, with a few people having some issues, but I feel like that's just how it is with cars. Just like with people, some have no issues, some have minimal issues, and some are in the hospital (shop) every other day. I know it shouldn't be like that for things that are mainly built by machines, but it is. And also people say by the 2nd model year things should pretty much be fixed, I have a 2012 GTI who's first MY was 2010 and they didn't fix the issues that I'm having and have had until MY2013 so you never really know if a bug is gonna show and if it does when they will address it at the manufacturing level.

tshaw2009

Base
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 Lariat, 2018 Ford Edge Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you! That's the impression I've been getting for the most part, with a few people having some issues, but I feel like that's just how it is with cars. Just like with people, some have no issues, some have minimal issues, and some are in the hospital (shop) every other day. I know it shouldn't be like that for things that are mainly built by machines, but it is. And also people say by the 2nd model year things should pretty much be fixed, I have a 2012 GTI who's first MY was 2010 and they didn't fix the issues that I'm having and have had until MY2013 so you never really know if a bug is gonna show and if it does when they will address it at the manufacturing level.
Well as I've always said, if it's a machine, something will eventually break. It's just a matter of time. Just like it's an eventuality that we will all experience heart issues in our lifetime...if we live long enough.

twobigstacksoflowsociety

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shitmobile
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My wife’s 2018 Volvo V60 Polestar‘s 2 liter 4 cylinder is turbo and supercharged making 375 HP and it is effortlessly fast! Not just quick, but open road fast! Just for perspective.
Very peppy engines. The Range Rover Evoque is the same.

I don't know how it compares to Ford's, but how much worse can it be. And maybe Ford is better?

Sponsored

twobigstacksoflowsociety

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
shitmobile
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I guess this hybrid engine will cost another 10k.

And with crude @ 30 a barrel and gas at $2.00 a gallon.....no thank you

If the global crisis is so bad we should get huge federal incentives for buying into Green. But we won't, and nobody really knows if it is. And with that electric cars might just fad out. You shouldn't have to pay more to be help the planet when doing so makes somebody else prosper.

Wildtrak.Scott

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6 turbo
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The 2.3L+2.7L engine has experience in other vehicles, this isn’t an all new engine. We can make safe assumptions of the positives and negatives based on other applications.

It would have made sense for Ford to at least move the alternator up and out of the way, though pictures we have seen so far indicate it is still located in a rather poor spot. Still time to move it up so we will see...
What problems have those engines had?

Chrism81

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

When the hybrid comes out it looks like I will be trading my bronco in for a new one. I am guessing the hybrid will not come out in 2022. Probably later. Hopefully the bronco will have a high resale value, but either way it won't stop me from getting the hybrid. By time it comes out I will be done with my masters and will be making more money then I am now.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well the 7 speed is setup for hybrid electric motors in it so I will take my 450 hp hybrid 30+mpg MT Bronco please. Thankyou. I need it to carbon offset the WEBER 38 on my Eagle.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mentioned it several posts ago, the 2.7L has had issues with both oil consumption and oil pan cracks, mine of course also lost a turbo.

The 2.3L is known for coking up and there have been a number of engine failures in vehicles with this engine in Rangers and Mustangs.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I doubt it. Using the Raptor as an example, the 3.5L TT V6 HO (High Output) was only available as an option on the limited trim in 2019 and 2020. The Gen2 Raptor has had that engine since 2017.

If you allowed every bronco trim to get the Raptor bronco engine then what would be the point with the Raptor bronco?

I wonder if this will power the Raptor/top tier version, or be available for multiple trims.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9326

Yes I was stranded 1000 miles from home on my 2.7L work truck when the turbo failed, tons of oil pan leaks and I’m never touching that engine again. Weak engine and got worse fuel economy than the V8 that replaced it.

I noticed Your comment doesn’t touch on a single point I made. Interesting.
Getting stranded is not good. But oil pans and their potential to leak are not specific to cylinder count or forced induction.

Wildtrak.Scott

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6 turbo
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I mentioned it several posts ago, the 2.7L has had issues with both oil consumption and oil pan cracks, mine of course also lost a turbo.

The 2.3L is known for coking up and there have been a number of engine failures in vehicles with this engine in Rangers and Mustangs.
Makes sense. Turbos run extra hot right?

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Getting stranded is not good. But oil pans and their potential to leak are not specific to cylinder count or forced induction.
It’s not but why was a plastic oil pan specced for this engine? Where else were corners cut?

(Clearly internal to the actual turbocharger ime)

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought both 2.3 and 2.7 are durable engines. I own a Toyota Tacoma with almost 200,000 miles and the only problem it had was a leaky water pump.
Sponsored