Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Honda Africa Twin, Husqvarna 310R
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I'm really not buying the whole hybrid/EV thing as a serious off roader. Ford is really going to have to prove the that a hybrid/EV can stand up to the rigors of serious hardcore off roading whether that be slinging mud, playing on rocks, running all out in the desert or even just overloading.
Its not just Ford......Jeep is up to the same thing. The focus here is Ford but its an industry wide thing thats going on, proof to us that they can build an EV/hybrid off roader. ?‍♂ I agree, it feels like theres a lot to get it there. Its too early to me. Maybe I'm wrong but maybe in 10 years were all tooting a different horn......at least thats what the car manufactures are thinking too?!

Personally the EcoDiesel in the Wrangler interests me from a range perspective and if this Bronco wasn't coming I'd probably be spending my money with them.
Sponsored

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I thought both 2.3 and 2.7 are durable engines. I own a Toyota Tacoma with almost 200,000 miles and the only problem it had was a leaky water pump.
Im sure some people do perfectly fine on them, my experience on the 2.7L was beyond off putting for a truck I received with less than 10 miles on the clock.

The 2.3L coking is so well documented that people brush it off by mentioning the added maintenance they do above normal engine servicing. Not what I want to hear on a brand new engine when I’m used to normal air filter/oil change for the first 100k and then spark plugs and wires for all other engines I’ve owned.

texashoya

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My original rationale of "I'm going to keep this truck for 10-15 years" is not going to happen. I know that i'll get the itch and end up trading it in a few years down the road if they keep releasing faster and more modern versions.
Porque no los dos?

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im sure some people do perfectly fine on them, my experience on the 2.7L was beyond off putting for a truck I received with less than 10 miles on the clock.

The 2.3L coking is so well documented that people brush it off by mentioning the added maintenance they do above normal engine servicing. Not what I want to hear on a brand new engine when I’m used to normal air filter/oil change for the first 100k and then spark plugs and wires for all other engines I’ve owned.
Can a catch can lower the chances of the 2.3 engine coking up?

bsb78

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Base
TLDR: F it, do what you want but the complaining is driving me insane. Ford can’t create perfect vehicle for every customer

Y’all:

You have to realize that Ford can’t release all their plans at once. It’s a logistics and production nightmare. If you think the delays are bad now, add some production complexity to it for a whole new trim or two.

Ford won’t give insights into future products due to secrecy for competition. If they let Jeep know what they’re doing, then you lose competitive edge, which is why Ford won’t even think about confirming this until a few months before it’s launched.

Knowing this, and the limitations of the geometry of the Bronco, you have to realize it can’t be a perfect vehicle for everyone. There can’t be ample cargo room in a two door if you want a very capable stock off-roader. You can’t fit a V8 into the engine compartment because of the size of the vehicle. Manuals won’t be offered on high powered options because of the complexity/cost of a brand new design, and there wouldn’t be more than 4-5K manual Sasquatch customers a year. It wouldn’t justify an engineer’s time.

Some compromises are going to have to be made: Ford’s coming out with some cool versions of the Bronco over the next few years. Is it worth waiting another 2-4 years to get the Bronco that best fits you? Or, is it better to buy a Bronco you like now, knowing that there’s a good chance something better comes along later and you’ll miss out on it initially.

Also, based off of Ford’s hybrid pricing model, it’ll be a top dollar trim. At least 50k.

Sponsored

Spooled

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I thought both 2.3 and 2.7 are durable engines. I own a Toyota Tacoma with almost 200,000 miles and the only problem it had was a leaky water pump.
Both are durable with the 2.7 being a bit more durable. @NCOBX has regurgitated his issues with it excessively. The 2.7 has improved since it's debut in 2015 and the 2nd generation (2018) and newer have been rock solid.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I got a chance to sit in a russian mig 17 once ,after being familiar with a f 16 the mig was like a donkey cart so simple analog everything .Even the tires had an aggresive tread so you could land anywhere,thats ghe way a bronco should be keep it simple!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

For those of you who want a new V8 Bronco without all the excessive technology, it's already available.
https://www.icon4x4.com/br
Ford cannot build this, there are too many regulations. I'm going to give Ford a chance because some of those new technologies make long, boring highway drives more manageable. If the Bronco doesn't give me 5 years of minimal or no hassle, I'll be shopping at Icon or somewhere similar.

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For those of you who want a new V8 Bronco without all the excessive technology, it's already available.
https://www.icon4x4.com/br
Ford cannot build this, there are too many regulations. I'm going to give Ford a chance because some of those new technologies make long, boring highway drives more manageable. If the Bronco doesn't give me 5 years of minimal or no hassle, I'll be shopping at Icon or somewhere similar.
Oh boy dont tempt me i saw those guys stuff real nice too.

Sponsored

FirstOnRaceDay

Base
First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic, 19.5 Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
My guess
Lower trims will get a 2.3 Hybrid with ~350hp 500lbft
Bronco Raptor will get A 3.0 hybrid with ~450hp 600lbft

Then f150 raptor will get 3.5 Hybrid with 500hp and 700lbft

All use the same electric motor

desert_rat

Big Bend
First Name
Leslie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Also, based off of Ford’s hybrid pricing model, it’ll be a top dollar trim. At least 50k.
ouch... yeah i see the PHEV escape is $6k more than the non-hybrid.
welp might as well have fun with something basic now and then upgrade when i'm making more money in a few years. maybe ford will have a green by then! ?

Moze

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands, 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

gryphon1231 said:
I'm really not buying the whole hybrid/EV thing as a serious off roader. Ford is really going to have to prove the that a hybrid/EV can stand up to the rigors of serious hardcore off roading whether that be slinging mud, playing on rocks, running all out in the desert or even just overloading.
Its not just Ford......Jeep is up to the same thing. The focus here is Ford but its an industry wide thing thats going on, proof to us that they can build an EV/hybrid off roader. ?‍♂ I agree, it feels like theres a lot to get it there. Its too early to me. Maybe I'm wrong but maybe in 10 years were all tooting a different horn......at least thats what the car manufactures are thinking too?!

Personally the EcoDiesel in the Wrangler interests me from a range perspective and if this Bronco wasn't coming I'd probably be spending my money with them.
I hear you @gryphon1231, totally. There is a lot to prove. But, like @Broncofly said, the whole industry is going this way. As a different take to consider, I will say this: electric motor technology has been around a long time and is *extremely* well tested. If you've ever seen a train hauling tons and tons of material through the desert then over the mountains and through the snow, you've seen electric motors doing their thing. All Tesla and others did was shrink it to fit in a car and replace the diesel generator with another long lived well understood technology: batteries. Most of the issues you've seen in the market is companies experimenting with new battery technology (thanks Jaguar), etc.

So none of the drive system is super new tech, just new applications. We'll have to see how fast they can work it out.
Sponsored