Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So I can see where you're coming from. Sure it has its issues, but more and more manufacturers are making it standard, so eventually all of your new vehicles will have it. The starter and ring gears are bolstered to be able to handle it, and the computers are programmed to only use it under normal conditons, and never when your AC is blasting at either hot or cold temps to be able to still run the system. The EPA and NHSTA stds are changing, and regardless of if it has it or not those gear teeth will wear down. Its not a matter of how, its a matter of when. Just the way it is.
Agreed there's no changing the movement towards these, but let's face the facts, MOST vehicles are disposable after 100k-200k miles. And they don't build make anything really outlast the warranty! I plan on keeping my rare 2 dr FE a long time and I drive ALOT, so for me this is just reducing those parts life by ALOT!

Next time your out and about, keep a count of how many times your start-stop-start feature automatically works. In some traffic or roads with stoplights, you might be surprised!

Sorry but 10 to 30 times the starts per trip IS gonna wear your ā€bolsteredā€ crap out WAY faster. And I hate being stranded with a junk starter or replacing them!

We had this exact conversation ongoing with our porsche service dept. (Who by the way offer this to be deactivated when you purchase! ) they say the starter
is NOT any different than previous year models w/o start stop. And the funny part is the starter factory warranty ONLY last 40k on those models...Is this manufacturer planning on replacing more starters (and ring gears) ā€DUH yes obviouslyā€ were the words straight from the service managers mouth. šŸ‘Œ

So believe whatever non-factual hypothesis you want about beefier parts, but that's definitely NOT part of the manufacturers equation here or in other cases like Ford!
Sponsored

Last edited:

mcinfantry

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford dealers who attended a make meeting told Automotive News they did not expect new stock allocations until the end of May due to production cuts, although Ford spokesman Said Deep said the company continues ā€œbuilding for both retail and stock.ā€

i read that as no complete dealer stock units will be built, until may

Deleted member 21681

Someoneā€™s going to love you moduleless Bronco!! šŸ˜‰ Honestly though I wonder if you refuse delivery if you have to go to the back of the line because I think theyā€™ll just sell it with big ole adm to someone elseā€¦
Iā€™m not scheduled, I donā€™t have a vin. If this ends up being an unattractive deal, Iā€™ll 99. And if the deal doesnā€™t work out at all, and the next guy ends up with a different notion of bad deal and jumps on itā€¦ cool. Knowing the value of my money makes me pretty FOMO-proof. Plenty of other good options, including those in the future. Iā€™m very happy to win by not losing.

st3v

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Base Manual Sasquatch Bronco (BaseManSquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Even with the 2022 C8 Corvette, Chevy was doing this exact same thing (remove feature and dealer installs later).

Puddle Jumper

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Edge Titanium AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have no problem with this As a long as Ford and the dealership meet the following
1) they disclosed this to the purchaser
2) the vehicle is sold at a HUGE discount
3) Ford gives people the option to reorder their Bronco's if they've been sitting on dirt/snow mountain for they last year or so rotting
You have a 100% chance of #1 happening but count on a 0% of #2-#3 happening.

Sponsored

Plala

Big Bend
First Name
Pamela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ship it.
Honestly some of yā€™all act like you have power in this situation. You donā€™t. You can take delivery when it arrives or not. Youā€™re not getting a deal on the price, youā€™re not getting free oil changes for life, youā€™re not getting free service beyond the warranty. You can take you bronco or say no and they will sell it to someone else. The dealerships donā€™t GAF about you. The minute you say no, theyā€™re gonna slap an adm on that baby and sell it to someone who will happily bring it in for module install when they arrive. They will get warranty money from Ford when they install the chips. Itā€™s a win win for ford and the dealerships. Itā€™s non-safety related features so theyā€™re gonna deliver them. Theyā€™re getting on a train or a truck and heading out to be sold to you or someone else. You have no power and no one at Ford cares. Period.

So much complaining. Yā€™all sound like a bunch of latte liberal Prius drivers. Wah wah wah šŸ˜© Take your bronco or not. If mine comes in and itā€™s got an engine and driverā€™s seat and a steering wheel I am signing on the dotted line and driving that bitch from Dallas to Vegas where I live now. I am NOT getting back in line for this shit.

adrencg

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just wait till you get to replace your starter AND ring gear on your steed just after the precious warranty expires! You get to pull the engine or drop the trans (and most likely get a new ring gear as well) to fix all the unnecessary wear!

not to mention leaving you stranded when it fails!

Remember extended cranking wears out the electric internals of the starter motor by overheating, BUT thousands of starts causes extreme wear to the ring gear, and starter gear INSTEAD!

Hahaha this far exceeds a fuel savings you thought you were getting with your favorite eco gimmick!

How stupid of a design! The least the manufacturer could do is bathe the starter nose and ring gear in oil!
As someone who worked on engines a lot before cars became computerized, the first thought that popped into my head when seeing a car that shuts off the engine every time it stops was, "that's going to be murder on the starter. "

Now that I own a car that does that, I find it a little annoying to not be able to go instantly when stepping on the gas.

30snack

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ship it.
Honestly some of yā€™all act like you have power in this situation. You donā€™t. You can take delivery when it arrives or not. Youā€™re not getting a deal on the price, youā€™re not getting free oil changes for life, youā€™re not getting free service beyond the warranty. You can take you bronco or say no and they will sell it to someone else. The dealerships donā€™t GAF about you. The minute you say no, theyā€™re gonna slap an adm on that baby and sell it to someone who will happily bring it in for module install when they arrive. They will get warranty money from Ford when they install the chips. Itā€™s a win win for ford and the dealerships. Itā€™s non-safety related features so theyā€™re gonna deliver them. Theyā€™re getting on a train or a truck and heading out to be sold to you or someone else. You have no power and no one at Ford cares. Period.

So much complaining. Yā€™all sound like a bunch of latte liberal Prius drivers. Wah wah wah šŸ˜© Take your bronco or not. If mine comes in and itā€™s got an engine and driverā€™s seat and a steering wheel I am signing on the dotted line and driving that bitch from Dallas to Vegas where I live now. I am NOT getting back in line for this shit.
CAC635BF-6585-40DE-B479-7D015CE96FD2.jpeg

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The title of this thread is misleading. Unless the OP has a link that mentions Bronco, I have not seen any reference specific to Bronco for this.
Post #1 updated for those who did not read the entire article:

techdisaster

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ship it.

Walking away is power. The person Iā€™m protecting is myself, and sometimes the only way to win is not play the game.

So what if my unfinished Bronco goes to someone else with ADM? They can make the gamble I wonā€™t. I have a perfectly working car right now. Why would I want to trade down for a lot more money?

Sponsored

Plala

Big Bend
First Name
Pamela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Walking away is power. The person Iā€™m protecting is myself, and sometimes the only way to win is not play the game.

So what if my unfinished Bronco goes to someone else with ADM? They can make the gamble I wonā€™t. I have a perfectly working car right now. Why would I want to trade down for a lot more money?
Walking away is your choice. Thatā€™s what Iā€™m saying. Take it when it arrives or leave it.

ab_slack

Black Diamond
First Name
Andrea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Explorer and 87 Bronco II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
There are many things I would gladly sacrifice but I suspect most would be deemed "safety critical". Auto start/stop gunner for sure. All the cell network data connectivity related and over the air updating I wouldn't miss and rather not have. GOAT modes I could do without as long as one had control to switch into the different transfer case and locker selections. I would be fine with non back-up camera. I would be absolutely fine without backup and side warning sensors. I am fine without emergency auto breaking. I am fine without nannies reminding me about seatbelts. I would also be fine without traction control and fine without any stability assist features. Heck I would go as far to say I rather not have antilock brakes. And when it comes down to it, I probably wouldn't miss air bags.

Puddle Jumper

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Edge Titanium AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The only plus to this might be some negotiating power with the dealer on MSRP! Maybe some ford points, anything to satisfy ford customers. šŸ¤”
Itā€™s not the dealers fault at all! Customer Satisfaction funds may be extended. That IS funded by Ford. But asking your dealer to make price concessions is likely not going to happen. Ford doesnā€™t OWN the dealership. They own the trademark. Itā€™s still a franchise that depends on the sale of the products it stocks. No delivered units means no profit for the dealer, obviously. As someone who works for a Ford dealership, I can tell you it is just as frustrating for us to not have answers or know when the situation is going to get better. We all want our Bronco, but this has been tough, and will likely be a tougher road ahead.

OP
OP
North7

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

The title of this thread is misleading. Unless the OP has a link that mentions Bronco, I have not seen any reference specific to Bronco for this.
For those who did not read the entire article at the links I provided, here is another highlight.
The automaker has been attempting to find ways to ease the glut of unfinished vehicles piling up on lots around its manufacturing plants.
Most recently, what appeared to be hundreds if not thousands of Broncos were piling up in Michigan. Ford said the backlog was chip-related.
I believe the first quote summarizes ICE Mountain very nicely.
Sponsored