Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I asked this over on the Curt Wiring thread, I'll try here for BudgetBronco and Voltagedrop:

Question: I have left a set of LED trailer lights plugged in since my install (going to use as towed lights). When I leave the Bronco, after all the regular Bronco lights shut down, the trailer marker lights stay lit, Bronco tails are off. I eventually lose patience and hit the lock button, all brake lights flash and everything, including the trailer lights shut down. What's going on? How can the trailer lights be on when the Bronco tails are not? and what about locking shuts them off? I'm not sure if they ever will shut off by themselves (tested up to 1 1/2 hours.

Further info: When I test with a set of old incandescent tow lights, they go off immediately. My theory now is the Curt 'box' must have a capacitor that holds enough juice to run the LED trailer lights for quite a while.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I asked this over on the Curt Wiring thread, I'll try here for BudgetBronco and Voltagedrop:

Question: I have left a set of LED trailer lights plugged in since my install (going to use as towed lights). When I leave the Bronco, after all the regular Bronco lights shut down, the trailer marker lights stay lit, Bronco tails are off. I eventually lose patience and hit the lock button, all brake lights flash and everything, including the trailer lights shut down. What's going on? How can the trailer lights be on when the Bronco tails are not? and what about locking shuts them off? I'm not sure if they ever will shut off by themselves (tested up to 1 1/2 hours.

Further info: When I test with a set of old incandescent tow lights, they go off immediately. My theory now is the Curt 'box' must have a capacitor that holds enough juice to run the LED trailer lights for quite a while.
Interesting...I just went and tested but I could not replicate what you are seeing. With my LED tester hooked up, the lights always went on and off in perfect sync with the tail lights for everything I tried: lights on, lights off, open and closing doors, locking and unlocking.

Do you have signature LED tail lights, or halogen tail lights?

If halogen style like mine on the Base, did you cut and ground the red wire along with the white wire?

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What we need is a video of installing the 7 pin. That's the mystery...hitches and 4 pins are straightforward.
Pretty sure the ford techs need that same video as I havent seen someone successfully say that one of the techs was able to complete this job.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting...I just went and tested but I could not replicate what you are seeing. With my LED tester hooked up, the lights always went on and off in perfect sync with the tail lights for everything I tried: lights on, lights off, open and closing doors, locking and unlocking.

Do you have signature LED tail lights, or halogen tail lights?

If halogen style like mine on the Base, did you cut and ground the red wire along with the white wire?
Halogen. I did ground the red and white, but I may recheck that. Thanks. Lmk if tou come up with anything. BTW I grounded the cut red on the side from the curt module not the plug side.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Halogen. I did ground the red and white, but I may recheck that. Thanks. Lmk if tou come up with anything. BTW I grounded the cut red on the side from the curt module not the plug side.
Ya that's correct ground to the module not to the plug. I'm stumped. Voltagedrop is the real electrical expert tho...

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ya that's correct ground to the module not to the plug. I'm stumped. Voltagedrop is the real electrical expert tho...
First, thank you for checking and your interest. I went out this morning to do more investigation, going to check for good ground first and...yep, everything worked perfectly before I even did anything.. I am thinking ground issue and driving around a couple days rattled everything in..I'll keep an eye on it...

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thank you for the informative videos on prepping and installing the trailer harness. Truly great information. I’ve successfully installed it on my Black Diamond.

One thing I’m wondering. What did everyone do to tidy up the actual 4 Pin plug? I assumed it would wedge into the holder on the hitch itself. But, it doesn’t.

Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness 2338AE4F-924E-4EA5-A72C-22CFDC922B37

I found these three options upon quick search. I’m going to check out etrailer.com too.

Road Tough
Hopkins
Curt

One thing that threw me off - was you show yourself feeding the module and wiring below the taillight and around the driver side of the bumper - but, I found that gets the wiring caught up on bumper mounts and it’s not long enough to mount the module. Perhaps there is a difference with the metal and plastic number? I had to feed the male/female plugs up behind the bumper through a hole near the taillight similar to how you did on the passenger side.

Also, I’m assuming it’s because you have the Curt hitch and I have the Ford. But there wasn’t any room to mount the module on the outside of the frame (on the driver side of the hitch). I had to mount it inside the hitch pocket itself - just behind where the 4 pin mounts. The slack is tucked up inside the bumper. I cleaned the area well and used some super-duty 3M tape. Kinda worried about it - but, I’ll keep an eye on it.

Only other thing I did different is that used heat shrink butt connectors to avoid any water getting in. Perhaps one day I’ll wire it to the cargo area. The engine compartment is getting hectic with the trailer wiring/fuse, Panda module, catch can hoses…all in the same area.

Besides that - everything went smoothly - thanks to you.

Last edited:

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for the informative videos on prepping and installing the trailer harness. Truly great information. I’ve successfully installed it on my Black Diamond.

One thing I’m wondering. What did everyone do to tidy up the actual 4 Pin plug? I assumed it would wedge into the holder on the hitch itself. But, it doesn’t.

Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness 2338AE4F-924E-4EA5-A72C-22CFDC922B37

I found these three options upon quick search. I’m going to check out etrailer.com too.

Road Tough
Hopkins
Curt

One thing that threw me off - was you show yourself feeding the module and wiring below the taillight and around the driver side of the bumper - but, I found that gets the wiring caught up on bumper mounts and it’s not long enough to mount the module. Perhaps there is a difference with the metal and plastic number? I had to feed the male/female plugs up behind the bumper through a hole near the taillight similar to how you did on the passenger side.

Also, I’m assuming it’s because you have the Curt hitch and I have the Ford. But there wasn’t any room to mount the module on the outside of the frame (on the driver side of the hitch). I had to mount it inside the hitch pocket itself - just behind where the 4 pin mounts. The slack is tucked up inside the bumper. I cleaned the area well and used some super-duty 3M tape. Kinda worried about it - but, I’ll keep an eye on it.

Only other thing I did different is that used heat shrink butt connectors to avoid any water getting in. Perhaps one day I’ll wire it to the cargo area. The engine compartment is getting hectic with the trailer wiring/fuse, Panda module, catch can hoses…all in the same area.

Besides that - everything went smoothly - thanks to you.
Many on here including me did the Road Tough.

Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Many on here including me did the Road Tough.
Where are you mounting the Road Tough connector? I installed the RC hitch last weekend and will be installing the Curt wiring Saturday. I really hadn't thought about what I was going to do with the 4 pin connector other than tuck it someplace out of the way.

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where are you mounting the Road Tough connector? I installed the RC hitch last weekend and will be installing the Curt wiring Saturday. I really hadn't thought about what I was going to do with the 4 pin connector other than tuck it someplace out of the way.
Stole this pic from another forum installer here, but I am doing the same. Screwing it right in to the plastic bumper.

Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness 1648126681739

Brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST-Line
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I installed my Curt hitch the other day, just need to center it and torque it. Wiring harness to be delivered tomorrow.

Had to undo the clips holding an existing wiring harness in place and move it out of the way so the hitch nuts would clear and not pinch the harness. I ordered some vinyl caps to go over the bolt threads to reduce any rub on that existing harness.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Stole this pic from another forum installer here, but I am doing the same. Screwing it right in to the plastic bumper.

Ford Bronco Full install video for aftermarket hitch and wiring harness 1648126681739
Ah! Ok. I love the look of that. Thanks. I will have to retrofit it to work with the factory Ford hitch. I do like the look of the Curt hitch. Ah well.

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What the?! It doesn’t? Why would they make it look like it’s built just for that purpose? 🤦🏼‍♂️ How does it mount if it’s done from the factory?
Sponsored