Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That said, I think Ford should find a way to fix it for the consumer: allowing reorders at local dealers while keeping the timestamp or whatever.
If a Granger order got transferred to my local dealer and placed in line ahead of me, I'd be...spell it with me...p-i-s-s-e-d.
Sponsored

DefNotBuddyLee

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang / Jeep / F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I appreciate your response; however, I am not sure that it is accurate. There are numerous reports of dealerships marking up the F-150 Lightning with "ADMS" and "Market Adjustments," and the Ford separation (see link below) only mentions that the ICE and E-vehicles will be mostly independent of one another. Do you have a specific source that says Ford Dealerships are just for delivery of electric vehicles?
Agree with @Go Devils in regards to accuracy ...I think the separation of divisions is to lay groundwork for some changes, but not convinced it is to go with a Tesla like sales model. It is a logical change as they are 2 vastly different products and it will likely have tax, regulatory, and/or other benefits that can be leveraged by splitting the teams.
At this time, I can definitely say that the dealership is directly involved with the sale of the Lightning, as the FAQs clearly indicate you are not ordering directly from Ford, but instead your dealer and to agree upon pricing with your dealer.
Lightning FAQs

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Although Stephens didn't receive as many orders as Granger I do believe the problem may be just as bad. I am with Stephens. I switched to them in October 2020 (7/14 @1600 reservation) when I could not get a solid price commitment from three local dealers. Around December 2020 is when allocations were announced. I decided to stick with them and ended up being within Stephens' original allocation for 2021. #104 out of 109 allocations. Stephens was able to deliver approximately 80 of there allocations. Some people jumped ahead of me because of buildable units.

Everything seemed fine until the allocation formula was again changed in October of 2021 when we had to place orders for a second time. This is when the Stephens people got screwed and Ford said you could move orders when in fact you really couldn't. Stephens was given 109 for 2021. To date I believe they have received less than 30 for 2022. The last build week schedule they received three and they were all Raptors.

Basically they have reached their 2021 allocation numbers and it seems to have stalled or dried up altogether. John at Stephens has communicated that his regional rep told him there would be no set number for Stephens and they would get what could be built. I have no idea now if I will be left in the cold. I see it as Stephens got too many for 2021 so Ford decided to dial that back for 2022? There are many at Stephens with very early reservations. I am still sitting around mid thirties in line with a 7/14 reservation.
Actually, you and I have similar 4PM 7/14 reservations, both contacted our local dealers, and both contacted Stephen's and came to reasonable opposite conclusions.

In my case, my dealer (thanks Crossroads Ford Apex), said no discounts but MSRP. I have it broken out in writing from them, how much dealer fees, taxes, tags, MSRP. They have reconfirmmed that when I updated my order twice, and when was selected for and put in a GT Raptor order.

In your case, you were not getting a firm answer.

Given that Ford announced allocations in September of 2020 and then a week or so later took away the price protection offered to us by removing Bronco from x-Plan, you had a different risk assessment than me:

I had an MSRP agreement, and given my #33 out of 105 position at my local dealer versus my roughly the same position as yours at Stephen's, I decided I value getting a 2021 2dr Badlands for sure at MSRP, rather than most likley a 2022 for sure but maybe a tail end of 2021 at a $1000 (after travel expenses) discount at Stephen's. I did at the time think dealing with a volume play two states over across two years had some unknown risks.​
If I had been in your shoes, I probably would have factored the way you did. You were comparing a 2021 for sure at some unknown priceā€”most likely marked up quite a bitā€”versus a 2022 with an outside shot at a late 2021 at a committed price which probably would end up being $6000+ in savings.​

For me, that 2021 for sure assumption ended up being a total bust (thanks Webasto, thanks supply chain), but at the time of ordering dealer lots were pretty full and things looked for the most part like business as usual.

So you are in that first group I mentioned. Though I think better off 22 odds-wise at mid thirties then where you would have been at Granger with the same timestamp.

I hope you get your 2022, especially since I love your build.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

If a Granger order got transferred to my local dealer and placed in line ahead of me, I'd be...spell it with me...p-i-s-s-e-d.
I get your point. I would be too. This is somewhat reduced because at least in the transfer case, the person did reserve before you or I did.

But lets face it: we're all way more pissed about walk-ins getting scheduled before 3Q20 reservations with similar builds. There have been about 4-6 months of production worth of line jumpers. If there hadn't been a top fiasco, a lot of us would already have their Bronco.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Given that Ford announced allocations in September of 2020 and then a week or so later took away the price protection offered to us by removing Bronco from x-Plan, you had a different risk assessment than me:
This is what caused a complete train wreck at the time, I picked my current local dealer due to the fact no one knew the pricing and I had X Plan. When it came time to order and pricing was known (January 2021) and Ford threw out Xplan, it caused a massive chain reaction. It caused me to move my order because there was no price protection period and at the time it was almost 100% of dealers didnt know what they were gonna do. The handful of dealers that actually went out of their way to document pricing are the ones that ended up with large orders. I am at a fairly large dealership and it along with others were/still impacted by this crap.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But the concept remains - something was too good to be true and people took the bait.
I have never paid MSRP for a vehicle and have made a couple of purchases at well under invoice. The coming impact of supply chain issues were not understood at the time we were placing orders. Ford was still saying that timestamps would be a primary factor. What part of this was obviously too good to be true?

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I get your point. I would be too. This is somewhat reduced because at least in the transfer case, the person did reserve before you or I did.

But lets face it: we're all way more pissed about walk-ins getting scheduled before 3Q20 reservations with similar builds. There have been about 4-6 months of production worth of line jumpers. If there hadn't been a top fiasco, a lot of us would already have their Bronco.
Just to be clear, I'm a August 2021 reservation, October 2021 order. I understand my place. But as I've said here and elsewhere - I
I have never paid MSRP for a vehicle and have made a couple of purchases at well under invoice. The coming impact of supply chain issues were not understood at the time we were placing orders. Ford was still saying that timestamps would be a primary factor. What part of this was obviously too good to be true?
I just think its risky to order from an unfamiliar dealer to get a deal. And, a healthy dose of skepticism was probably warranted when order banks opened and Ford said the time stamp would be the primary factor, in spite of the fact that they use an allocation process for all other models.

DaveH

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 Ford Focus, 98 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just think its risky to order from an unfamiliar dealer to get a deal. And, a healthy dose of skepticism was probably warranted when order banks opened and Ford said the time stamp would be the primary factor, in spite of the fact that they use an allocation process for all other models.
Over the years, I have purchased Fords from 3 different locals. (None of them would commit to price for the Bronco.) All of them were unfamiliar to me for my first purchase. By your logic, nobody should ever be a first time Ford buyer because you can't be familiar with any Ford dealers on your first Ford purchase.
I was unaware of the existence of an allocation process, and I'm sure my knowledge of the car buying process is well above average. That is on Ford because they made zero effort to educate buyers on the allocation process even after they realized it was going to become an issue.
I recall there being debate back in 2020 about Granger and others. I carefully read the FAQs and decided to believe the official communications from Ford. Big mistake.

Sponsored

21BL2DR

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BL 2dr, 2021 BB 4dr, 2022 BS 2dr, trifecta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

remove yourself from the ā€œGranger quagmireā€.

Order a 2023 when available. It will get to you quicker.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Over the years, I have purchased Fords from 3 different locals. (None of them would commit to price for the Bronco.) All of them were unfamiliar to me for my first purchase. By your logic, nobody should ever be a first time Ford buyer because you can't be familiar with any Ford dealers on your first Ford purchase.
I was unaware of the existence of an allocation process, and I'm sure my knowledge of the car buying process is well above average. That is on Ford because they made zero effort to educate buyers on the allocation process even after they realized it was going to become an issue.
I recall there being debate back in 2020 about Granger and others. I carefully read the FAQs and decided to believe the official communications from Ford. Big mistake.
I'm not sticking up for ford. I am sticking up for the concept of using a local dealer and building relationships. Even if that means being a first time order/buyer at your local dealer - whatever that means.

I think the allocation process is becoming better known in these times, due to supply chain issues. Regardless of the Bronco.

Also, the OP is a greedy whiner. I see some of that on these threads and it needs to be pointed out for what it is.

OhhhhhhSnap

Black Diamond
First Name
Elan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Pathfinder, 04 F150, 14 CRV. 22 BD Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

kahunabob

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

does it really matter... ford is still the bad guy here.
It does...because his original post pulls on our understanding of fairness. Sure maybe Ford messed things up....maybe the dealer messed things up...but at the end of the day there are lots of forum members who are still waiting for their bronco. OP gamed the situation...he got an early bronco and sold for 20k premium. If Ford was rolling the broncos out at a super fast manner, he wouldn't have been able to pull the $20k profit on the sale of his first bronco.

He has already taken delivery of two broncos. He can take delivery of his third in 2025 or 2026... whenever it gets delivered to Grainger

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Ah look another dumbass "Ford" employee.

Here is a screenshot from August 2020 FAQ. Yup no rule changes at all.

Ford Bronco Ford says it will NOT ALLOW order transfers anymore OriginalFAQ_ResOrder
So, if that wasn't working, should Ford have just left it alone or try to do something to fix it? Things likely would have been worse than they already are if Ford sat by and did nothing. People would have complained about that too. No matter what they do, not everyone is going to be happy.
Sponsored