Sponsored

Dumb running lights / turn signal question.

VW_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW Golf R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
nope. on my vw golf R, the DRL doesn't dim when the turn signal is activated
(some folks actually will use VCDS to program in the non-factory 'winking' behavior)

the turn signal has be significantly brighter than the DRL for this to comply
Seconded. My 2017 Golf R does not dim the DRL's on turn signals, no software alterations as implied earlier, and IMO looks much better than dimming with a turn signal. It's ridiculous it should even matter.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BlueBronco

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
"Those that would give up cool aesthetics for a little temporary safety deserve neither aesthetics nor safety."
Yeah, but had Ben Franklin known about LED turn signal/drl's he wouldn't have posted that quote to the internet when he did ;)

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yeah, but had Ben Franklin known about LED turn signal/drl's he wouldn't have posted that quote to the internet when he did ;)
Hey, the way Ben rolled, he probably invented LED and DRL and the car manufacturers just had to wait for the price point to come down to implement.

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Isn't this a given? There's what, 145000 reservations and probably pretty sure 145000 different ways people want their new Bronco and damn drivability, emissions, safety, or plain common sense but you want what you want right?

Sponsored
OP
OP
BlueBronco

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It has been a tough crowd around here lately. I originally asked the question as it is a pet peeve when I am sitting across an intersection and see the the drl go out and then start blinking orange. (ocd alert, I am symmetrically minded and like things to be balanced). I figured it was the manufacturers cutting corners and cost by eliminating a few lights. Didn't know there was a "safety issue" with people not being able to distinguish a blinking light next to solid state light.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It was and is a reasonable question OP

I guess we won't find out till trucks get on the street

It's manufacturers focusing on the style of DRL, and not on the functionality of turn signals. And if manufacturers are going to make DRL a major design element they should be aware it looks terrible to have one side dead every time you signal.

I don't think anyone would argue a car driving down the road with one dead headlight looked OK, but many modern cars look just like that if a turn signal is on

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Isn't that just called your parking lights?

My BMW is so old it has the angel eyes but they're not on by default, if I want to look "cool" I turn on my parking lights. I am rarely actually cool so they're usually just off
No. Parking lights are usually just the running lights (the amber turn signals on and rear running lights on, with or without fog lights)

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We’re at the point where we’re complaining about things that’ll never be noticed when one is actually driving the vehicle. This is sad.
I consider it "advanced caring".

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71