Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like NHTSA posted the 3 letters they received asking us to investigate. If that's all they were going to do with those letters I wouldn't have wasted the time. Hopefully more comes from it.

also here is a failed engine report. Didn’t see it it was 2.7 or 2.3 because there was almost 300 comments to read.

Sponsored

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST, 2021 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

231 pages wow let's start over I am tired of this thread, we all need a break from this Bronco 2.7 failure Pandemic we are going through, can we start fresh with anything other than how many failures and all the other Bull Shet that comes with it, I and I am guessing most of you all are ready to get past this and think about all the fun and excitement the Bronco Brings us every day whether its driving to work a vacation, out in the boonies or going offroad and for GOD sakes anyone that is not driving their Bronco because they ae worried about it Dropping a valve STOP the insanity Drive it long and hard because that is what we signed up for RIGHT? I personally see all the stuff that is happening in the world and think WOW we are lucky to be a Bronco Owner right now.
Simply unfollow it.

Mataxis

Black Diamond
First Name
R. Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Toy.Sequoia, 2020 Dodge Challenger ScatPack
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Maybe the sky isn't falling...
For some of us, the sky already fell.

My advice to those in the target date range for increased failures: drive the shit out of your Bronco.

IMO, it's better to have the engine blow now and get a new replacement AB engine, then to be timid with it and not stress test it. Mine blew 3 hours into what was going to be a 12 hour drive. Would it have blown if I didn't take it on a road trip? Who knows.

I'll be happy to have it back with the new engine with revised valve design. Supposedly it'll be ready next week (It blew March 13th, for those wondering about the turn around time for this work).

They did not give me a loaner vehicle, and they did not reimburse for my 200+mile tow bill.

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

. . valve train has failed . . valve production quality . . valve stem and head not meeting spec . . tensile and compressive strength, heat resistance, thermal expansion . . News Letter, Lima Engine Plant, that there was as problem with valve production that was corrected in 2021.

in Ford Service Technicians Forum there are multiple reports of broken valves at the keeper groove
- in the failed engine replacements, many times they don't perform a full diagnostic but sometimes they look into it
Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] valve stem w keeper groove

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] valve assembly

Sponsored

navi

Base
First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

My advice to those in the target date range for increased failures: drive the shit out of your Bronco.

IMO, it's better to have the engine blow now and get a new replacement AB engine, then to be timid with it and not stress test it. Mine blew 3 hours into what was going to be a 12 hour drive. Would it have blown if I didn't take it on a road trip? Who knows.

I'll be happy to have it back with the new engine with revised valve design. Supposedly it'll be ready next week (It blew March 13th, for those wondering about the turn around time for this work).

They did not give me a loaner vehicle, and they did not reimburse for my 200+mile tow bill.
That sounds like a nightmare though.
Getting stranded on the freeway, maybe at night and/or in bad weather is not a risk I'm looking for I want to drive the shit out of it just not too far from home. :rolleyes:

Did you get a long distance tow to your dealer or just go to the nearest one?

Mataxis

Black Diamond
First Name
R. Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Getting stranded on the freeway, maybe at night and/or in bad weather is not a risk I'm looking for I want to drive the shit out of it just not too far from home. :rolleyes:

Me and my dogs were stranded 3 hours from home in 25 degree weather on a Sunday.

Getting towed to the nearest dealership was not an option. We needed to get home.

It sucked, but I’m glad the engine blew and it’ll be replaced with one with the “improved” valve design. If I just puttered around town 20 miles a day, would it have blown? Maybe not.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

I get that some will die. Did you know that your odds of dying in a car crash this year is 1 in 8300 ?
I have empathy for you but this is hardly a time to panic about these engines.
What really sucks here is that Ford won't help with loaner and other expenses incurred.
That's the real issue...

Mataxis

Black Diamond
First Name
R. Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I get that some will die. Did you know that your odds of dying in a car crash this year is 1 in 8300 ?
I have empathy for you but this is hardly a time to panic about these engines.
What really sucks here is that Ford won't help with loaner and other expenses incurred.
That's the real issue...
I wouldn’t say I’ve panicked, but it was definitly nerve wracking being stranded on the side of a freeway with my dogs in between a guard rail and 18 wheelers for 90 minutes in 25 degree weather.

It’s all relative, but that was a big deal to me. That negative feeling has only been compounded by Ford’s unwillingness to shoulder the tow cost or even offer a courtesy car for the month+ it’s been out of comission since.

I only owned the car for 8 days when it died. Super frustrating. But yeah, I’m not panicked, I’m irritated.

I’d also advise those with Julian dates in the danger zone to drive the shit out of their Broncos and get the replacement over with if one is needed. That 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty doesn’t last forever.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Well my 21180 is now at 13k+ miles... Getting ready to go for 14k and at some point, I just need to trust it... but maybe I will finally at 15k miles.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] IMG_20220413_151749

Sponsored

BC2022

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like NHTSA posted the 3 letters they received asking us to investigate. If that's all they were going to do with those letters I wouldn't have wasted the time. Hopefully more comes from it.

also here is a failed engine report. Didn’t see it it was 2.7 or 2.3 because there was almost 300 comments to read.

How do we get access to actually "see" the (3) letters posted by NHTSA?

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It’s all relative, but that was a big deal to me. That negative feeling has only been compounded by Ford
I don't know what Ford plans to hang their hat on for a value proposition. Its certainly not reliability; everyone knows Fords suck at that. Very unlikely to be innovation because they're already lagging behind some pretty sharp cookies. Can't be low cost; they already threw in the towel on the sedan market.

There's only 360M people here, and Ford's slowly pissing them off one at a time.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wouldn’t say I’ve panicked, but it was definitly nerve wracking being stranded on the side of a freeway with my dogs in between a guard rail and 18 wheelers for 90 minutes in 25 degree weather.

It’s all relative, but that was a big deal to me. That negative feeling has only been compounded by Ford’s unwillingness to shoulder the tow cost or even offer a courtesy car for the month+ it’s been out of comission since.

I only owned the car for 8 days when it died. Super frustrating. But yeah, I’m not panicked, I’m irritated.

I’d also advise those with Julian dates in the danger zone to drive the shit out of their Broncos and get the replacement over with if one is needed. That 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty doesn’t last forever.
Yep. Never insinuated that you panicked. It's others that feel this engine is deficient I was referring to. I also think that 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty is plenty of time for issues to show up.
Good luck with your new engine!

Mataxis

Black Diamond
First Name
R. Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep. Never insinuated that you panicked. It's others that feel this engine is deficient I was referring to. I also think that 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty is plenty of time for issues to show up.
Good luck with your new engine!
Thanks!

I hope I get many enjoyable years out of this vehicle yet.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do we get access to actually "see" the (3) letters posted by NHTSA?
Scroll down to the bottom. It’s under complaints. The letters are in attached documents.

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1650115056562
Sponsored