First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious as a Toyota owner for the last 13 years, does anyone have any experience with the Ford’s 2.7 V6 compared to the Tacoma’s 3.5V6? Or for that matter compared tit he 2.3, never driven the Ford so just wanting some comparison on the motors, power, durability...
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7 has more low end. Not as peaky feeling. You might want to put your helmet on though, there are will be a lot of people jumping on you about the 3.6 typo on your engine.

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious as a Toyota owner for the last 13 years, does anyone have any experience with the Ford’s 2.7 V6 compared to the Tacoma’s 3.5V6? Or for that matter compared tit he 2.3, never driven the Ford so just wanting some comparison on the motors, power, durability...
I own a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with almost 200k miles. The only thing that had to be replaced is a water pump. What toyota do you own?

A_Locke

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius, 1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dad actually owns a 2016 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.5L V6. I have driven it many times as well as the Ford Ranger (Bronco platform mate which has the same 2.3L).

I can say without a doubt the Ranger feels much more powerful, eager to accelerate, and smoother (10 speed transmission helps). My dad rented a Ranger for a weekend and absolutely loved the feeling of the 2.3L in the Ranger as well. He said he preferred it over his Tacoma.

Frankly, after driving both, the 3.5L in the Taco feels much more sluggish, lest eager to downshift and give you power. I think the combo of the 2.3L and the 10 speed is really tough to beat. The 2.7L will be even more of a bump up and I'm sure will feel like the best in its class.

OP
OP
BroncoJay

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7 has more low end. Not as peaky feeling. You might want to put your helmet on though, there are will be a lot of people jumping on you about the 3.6 typo on your engine.
I fat fingered it, I corrected it

Sponsored
OP
OP
BroncoJay

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I own a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with almost 200k miles. The only thing that had to be replaced is a water pump. What toyota do you own?
I had an 2007 FJ, now a 2017 Taco

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had an 2007 FJ, now a 2017 Taco

I feel that a Badlands-Sasquatch (Four-Door) without any added tech options from the mid, high, and lux packages is the best combination when it comes to long term reliability, durability, and dependability for an off-road rig.

I feel that if you add tech from the mid, high, and lux packages that things may go wrong and it is the last thing that you want to happen when out in the middle of nowhere. I thought about the high package as well. However, I stick to the side of reliability. I can live without the parking and backup sensors. For me, I dont need added tech when off roading and as a daily driver.

I currently own a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with minimal tech and with almost 200,000 miles. Of course you will have to add the auto transmission with the Sasquatch, so that the only "option."
With that said, would it be better to buy a Badlands-Sasquatch with no added options or just buy a new 4Runner? Thoughts?

OP
OP
BroncoJay

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My dad actually owns a 2016 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.5L V6. I have driven it many times as well as the Ford Ranger (Bronco platform mate which has the same 2.3L).

I can say without a doubt the Ranger feels much more powerful, eager to accelerate, and smoother (10 speed transmission helps). My dad rented a Ranger for a weekend and absolutely loved the feeling of the 2.3L in the Ranger as well. He said he preferred it over his Tacoma.

Frankly, after driving both, the 3.5L in the Taco feels much more sluggish, lest eager to downshift and give you power. I think the combo of the 2.3L and the 10 speed is really tough to beat. The 2.7L will be even more of a bump up and I'm sure will feel like the best in its class.
Thank you, this helps a ton, always felt my Tacoma was slightly underpowered and “punchy, just been debating on the Bronco engine, which will suit me better.

OP
OP
BroncoJay

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I feel that a Badlands-Sasquatch (Four-Door) without any added tech options from the mid, high, and lux packages is the best combination when it comes to long term reliability, durability, and dependability for an off-road rig.

I feel that if you add tech from the mid, high, and lux packages that things may go wrong and it is the last thing that you want to happen when out in the middle of nowhere. I thought about the high package as well. However, I stick to the side of reliability. I can live without the parking and backup sensors. For me, I dont need added tech when off roading and as a daily driver.

I currently own a 2005 Toyota Tacoma with minimal tech and with almost 200,000 miles. Of course you will have to add the auto transmission with the Sasquatch, so that the only "option."
With that said, would it be better to buy a Badlands-Sasquatch with no added options or just buy a new 4Runner? Thoughts?
It’s hard to beat the Toyota reliability. I put on 170k on my FJ and did nothing more than routine maintenance, I’ve debated between BD and BL, too be honest the BD is perfect for my lifestyle- mountain biker, trail runner- camper, but absolutely hate the grey hard top , stupid cosmetics but I feel it’s odd and doesn’t match the rest of the rig, so it gets me to think about jumping up to the BL with 33s with the Black painted hard top.

I have no experience with the 4 runners so I can’t give you much advice...

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s hard to beat the Toyota reliability. I put on 170k on my FJ and did nothing more than routine maintenance, I’ve debated between BD and BL, too be honest the BD is perfect for my lifestyle- mountain biker, trail runner- camper, but absolutely hate the grey hard top , stupid cosmetics but I feel it’s odd and doesn’t match the rest of the rig, so it gets me to think about jumping up to the BL with 33s with the Black painted hard top.

I have no experience with the 4 runners so I can’t give you much advice...
This is considering that the 6th gen 4runner is still two years away.

Sponsored

A_Locke

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius, 1966 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you, this helps a ton, always felt my Tacoma was slightly underpowered and “punchy, just been debating on the Bronco engine, which will suit me better.
No worries! I know you also asked about the reliability/dependability. I'll share a few thoughts.

The Tacoma is incredibly tough to beat reliability wise. With pretty basic maintenance, you can expect to get 200k+ miles pretty consistently. While I do think the Bronco will be reliable, I don't think there will be as many that reach 200k+ as consistently as the Taco.

I wouldn't expect any issues with the 2.3L or the 2.7L with the 10 speed, it's been in numerous Ford products by now (Mustang, Explorer, Aviator, Ranger, F-150). However, I can say I am a little more uncertain about the manual transmission (this is the first product it is going into). Most of the issues I've experienced with Ford's have been fairly minor ones that occur around 100k (Alternator, Water Pump, cooling fan) which is pretty par for the course.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I've been driving a 17' Tacoma DCSB OR v6 auto for the last 3 years. With the trd intake, exhaust, OV Tune 92 oct., ect button always on, stock size tires, the motor is barely adequate. The Ford 2.7l eb from what I'm reading has been very reliable, been around a few years, and seems to be much more easy to pull some additional power out of than the Tacoma. I was a skeptic at first, but I'm becoming much more optimistic about the 2.7, a better motor would be one of my main reasons for switching.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't say I ever owned a yota, but first choice in pickup was a manual Taco (shame it can't tow a bobcat)

Drove a gen 2&3 6spd and still fondly remember the test drives. Can't talk about the power as I drove them during rush hour, but even the 2.3 has more oomph

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have owned a handful of yotas, Jeep, a couple samis with great reliability. On the flipside I have owned a classic Tbird (oil burner), F150 Roush shorty 2wd and my current F150 with great reliability. As mentioned the performance in both the 2.3 and 2.7 are impressive. Toyota has not had a REAL refresh in years and they do feel a bit anemic, but there is a reason they are preferred around the world. I feel us Bronco fans will be happy with the 2.7 as being the most reliable of the two engine offerings.
Sponsored