First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did a quick search and did not see a thread started about this topic yet.

I wanted to reach out and see if people on this forum have had any experience with RTTs! My wife and I are thinking of purchasing one, but there is a plethora of information out there and it is really hard to choose! We have read countless reviews and still having trouble making a decision.

So far the options we are considering include the following (please pardon the lack of broncos in the following photos ;) hopefully, we will be able to change that soon!!)

ikamper skycamp 2.0 (picture shown below is with an annex)

Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites 1597789182220

GFC (we have read a few reviews of clamshell designs and found GFC to be better than Alu Cab):

Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites 1597789301546

Camp King (quite a few benefits over the GFC mainly a thicker mattress, but you do end up paying more.... also one of the heaviest options.)

Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites 1597789543186

CVT:

Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites 1597789705871

ASRN we prefer the hard shells for added protection and durability. From the reviews we have read they are quite a bit more durable. Huge benefit to the designs listed so far in this thread is the ease of erecting.

I look forward to reading the replies and hearing any experience. Also, for those who are interested in camping and considering another option, please look at the following link for light weight overlanding trailers. https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...anding-camper-trailers-ideal-for-bronco.3162/

Alu Cab option:

Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites 1597789258975

1597789976731.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

bronco38

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee KL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great thread!

I’ve heard great things about the Ikamper Skycamp 2.0 but my biggest concern is the Broncos roof load capacities...

The Ikamper weighs in at about 155LBS but so far I’ve read the Bronco has a dynamic weight load capacity of 110LBS and a static of 450LBS....

-Is Ford being conservative?
-Is there aftermarket already working on something?

BroncOcotillo

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mach1
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Like the idea. Also interested in getting something like what you listed. How much weight will a Bronco rooftop hold without being damaged? Can 2 people sleep up there without causing dents or sagging the roof?

edit: @bronco38 beat me to the post. Thanks for the weight limits. I’d be concerned about damaging the top of my Bronco. I keep getting heavier as I get older.:confused:

The tent shown on the Bronco Sport build and price at Ford looks interesting. It attaches to the back. Maybe something similar will be offered for the Bronco.
Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites 9E23156D-7A49-4851-9C36-2F29D44A0588

Last edited:

VelocityBronco

Badlands
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, F-150 FX4, Explorer Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would like to get one, and put it on top of a small trailer and tow it. No worries about roof loads, better fuel mileage, lower height/easier to get in, can leave it set up and hit some tracks during the day.
But I can do all that with a much cheaper ground tent...
And I plan to be topless with the Bronco as much as possible without an obstruction above me...

bronco38

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee KL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Like the idea. Also interested in getting something like what you listed. How much weight will a Bronco rooftop hold without being damaged? Can 2 people sleep up there without causing dents or sagging the roof?

edit: @bronco38 beat me to the post. Thanks for the weight limits. I’d be concerned about damaging the top of my Bronco. I keep getting heavier as I get older.:confused:

The tent shown on the Bronco Sport build and price at Ford looks interesting. It attaches to the back. Maybe something similar will be offered for the Bronco.
Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites 9E23156D-7A49-4851-9C36-2F29D44A0588
No worries we’re all on the same page!

To be honest I’ve had a tent like this(rightline gear-amazon) in the past and it can be a hassle to setup and drive away. Plus water and bugs can still find their way into your car and tent which is a bummer.

I like the idea of trailer+RTT but that price can add up pretty quick - there’s another great thread on off-road trailer which sound like an awesome option down the road

Sponsored

FireSquatch

Black Diamond
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ursa Minor Vehicles Are also making a pop-up camper shell for the 4 door. They currently make them for the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and seem pretty sweet. Here is the link https://ursaminorvehicles.com/campers/ford-camper-conversions/b30-bronco-pop-top.html

Edit: 08/18/2020- Currently The J30 for the JK jeep allows So many options like; color options, sliding rear glass, roof racks, sleeper power headers and USB ports, headliner organizer, additional LED lighting, solar charging system, and awning selections.

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Im happy with Tuff Stuff 4x4 tents. I have ranger with annex. Only cost $1200. They also have newer better styles still cheaper than other brands though. Didnt use it for a year while my wife went through chemo and unpacked it for a guest. Smelled and looked fresh as a daisy. I also live one the edge of a rainforest so yeah nothing here stays fresh like that stored outdoors.

OP
OP
connorville

connorville

Badlands
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great thread!

I’ve heard great things about the Ikamper Skycamp 2.0 but my biggest concern is the Broncos roof load capacities...

The Ikamper weighs in at about 155LBS but so far I’ve read the Bronco has a dynamic weight load capacity of 110LBS and a static of 450LBS....

-Is Ford being conservative?
-Is there aftermarket already working on something?
Typically, and don't quote me, but there is a safety factor of at least x1.5 in most things other than airplanes. Shockingly airplanes have about a SF of 1 ?. I wouldn't be surprised if you could have a dynamic load of over 150 lbs. But some of the tents are pretty darn close to 200 lbs... So it is a concern. I am sure someone in the aftermarket world will design something to get around this.

I would like to get one, and put it on top of a small trailer and tow it. No worries about roof loads, better fuel mileage, lower height/easier to get in, can leave it set up and hit some tracks during the day.
But I can do all that with a much cheaper ground tent...
And I plan to be topless with the Bronco as much as possible without an obstruction above me...
I agree with the practicality of having a trailer, but this is also a lot of drag and weight behind the vehicle. I would imagine it would be the same if not worse in fuel economy. I can see how having a base camp set up to return to though has huge benefits!

Im happy with Tuff Stuff 4x4 tents. I have ranger with annex. Only cost $1200. They also have newer better styles still cheaper than other brands though. Didnt use it for a year while my wife went through chemo and unpacked it for a guest. Smelled and looked fresh as a daisy. I also live one the edge of a rainforest so yeah nothing here stays fresh like that stored outdoors.
Good to know! I will check them out.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Typically, and don't quote me, but there is a safety factor of at least x1.5 in most things other than airplanes. Shockingly airplanes have about a SF of 1 ?.
Huh? I think you've misremembered or misheard. According to Federal Aviation Regulation Sec. 25.303 a factor of safety must be 1.5 unless otherwise specified. Most rule of thumb engineers design to a FOS of 3; the reason aviation is lower is because of the inherent weight penalty, but it's also why the FAA has very strict tests compared to NHTSA.

OP
OP
connorville

connorville

Badlands
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Huh? I think you've misremembered or misheard. According to Federal Aviation Regulation Sec. 25.303 a factor of safety must be 1.5 unless otherwise specified. Most rule of thumb engineers design to a FOS of 3; the reason aviation is lower is because of the inherent weight penalty, but it's also why the FAA has very strict tests compared to NHTSA.

Yepp misremembered!

Sponsored
OP
OP
connorville

connorville

Badlands
First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Macan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Yepp misremembered!

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yepp misremembered!
No worries...of course now having said that, and as an engineer, I'm not going to be willing to throw 450lbs*3 = 1350lbs on top of my roof statically.

You'd hope the factor of safety would be based on the plastic deformation of the material....but you never know it could be on the failure load; I'll let someone else figure it out.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would go with the Ursa Minor if I had a huge shop and some land. I have kids so I barely have room in the garage. I have a cvt tent with annex. It’s for all 4 of us and we like it. If it was just the wife and I We would have a 2 person hard shell instead. The bronco will be a light no frills truck for us and we will keep it simple.
Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites 3FB2D6D4-5340-4212-A865-3687CDBB428E

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tomwill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am very pleased with Autohome Roof Top Tents. I purchased an Autohome Maggiolina and have camped all over the country. They are a solid and dependable product. For us the advantages of a Roof Top Tent far outweighed the disadvantages of having one mounted on top of your vehicle.
Ford Bronco Roof Top Tent Options - Opinions/Favorites OuterBanksCampin
Sponsored