Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I set out to install a GMRS radio in the Bronco, but pretty early into shopping for options realized that there really isn't an ideal place to put the head unit without being inconveniently located or intrusive.

Enter the Midland MXT275.

After reading some threads on here from people who had done an install, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I installed the radio under my center console and installed a remote Cat5e jack into the front storage tray of the center console. Mounting the radio could not have been easier. I bored out the center mounting hole on the Midland bracket and used the existing fastener Ford uses for the transmission cable pass-through to mount the radio body.

Wiring it was a breeze. I powered it using the Brown/White Aux switch wire behind the glove box, which conveniently comes completely off with no tools. I then ran the antenna cable under the driver's side dash and through an extra grommet in the firewall. I then routed the cable up through the cowl and to the Driver's side pillar, where I installed a JCR ditch light bracket and Midland antenna.

It really felt as though they designed this truck to have this exact radio installed. If people show interest in this install I'd be happy to provide all of the links to what I bought. But for now, here are the install pics:

20220424_143517.jpg

20220424_143533.jpg

20220424_143541.jpg

20220424_143554.jpg

20220424_143644.jpg

20220424_143630.jpg

20220424_143700.jpg

20220424_143858.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I set out to install a GMRS radio in the Bronco, but pretty early into shopping for options realized that there really isn't an ideal place to put the head unit without being inconveniently located or intrusive.

After reading some threads on here from people who had done an install, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I installed the radio under my center console and installed a remote Cat5e jack into the front storage tray of the center console. Mounting the radio could not have been easier. I bored out the center mounting hole on the Midland bracket and used the existing fastener Ford uses for the transmission cable pass-through to mount the radio body.

Wiring it was a breeze. I powered it using the Brown/White Aux switch wire behind the glove box, which conveniently comes completely off with no tools. I then ran the antenna cable under the driver's side dash and through an extra grommet in the firewall. I then routed the cable up through the cowl and to the Driver's side pillar, where I installed a JCR ditch light bracket and Midland antenna.

Honestly, this was so easy that if a Ford Engineer had been present I might have kissed them lol! It really felt as though they designed this truck to have this exact radio installed. If people show interest in this install I'd be happy to provide all of the links to what I bought. But for now, here are the install pics:

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! 20220424_143858

Any pictures under the console?

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any pics of how it mounted under the console?
I tried to take some, but they all came out awful and unusable. But the good news is you don't really need them. It is that straight forward. By drilling out the center hole in that midland bracket, you can conveniently mount the radio at an angle using the driver side tranny cable pass-through bolt.

Screenshot_20220424-153455_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:

Wannabe Techie

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Honestly, this was so easy that if a Ford Engineer had been present I might have kissed them lol! It really felt as though they designed this truck to have this exact radio installed. If people show interest in this install I'd be happy to provide all of the links to what I bought. But for now, here are the install pics:

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! Screenshot_20220424-153455_DuckDuckGo

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! Screenshot_20220424-153455_DuckDuckGo

Nice and clean! Which mole bracket is that for the passenger side?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the radio is under the center console or inside of it? I hate to be a pain but could you explain that a little more? I'd like to mimic this setup. Looks super clean! Thanks!

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So the radio is under the center console or inside of it? I hate to be a pain but could you explain that a little more? I'd like to mimic this setup. Looks super clean! Thanks!
Tricky to say which word more accruately describes it, because, technically... both lol! It is directly under the front storage area (or the wireless charging area if you have a Lux pkg). The pic where you see the Cat5e jack, right under there.

I did find an awful picture that kind of shows you the general area, although the picture does not accurately show the EXACT spot I mounted it. I marked up another picture to show you the Ford fastener I utilized. In the picture it is the other bolt like the one on the right that I used. So I just repositioned the unit at an angle on that left side screw.

20220424_121743.jpg

Screenshot_20220424-161207_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tricky to say which word more accruately describes it, because, techically... both lol! It is directly under the front storage area (or the wireless charging area if you have a Lux pkg). The pic where you see the Cat5e jack, right under there.

I did find an awful picture that kind of shows you the general area, although the picture does not accurately show the EXACT spot I mounted it. I marked up another picture to show you the Ford fastener I utilized. In the picture it is the other bolt like the one on the right that I used. So I just repositioned the unit at an angle on that left side screw.

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! Screenshot_20220424-161207_Gallery

Ford Bronco Super Clean GMRS Radio Install! Screenshot_20220424-161207_Gallery
This is awesome. I may PM you more about this install. Thanks for posting!

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks good. They need to sell a 50w radio with this configuration, if it’s not in the works already.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is awesome. I may PM you more about this install. Thanks for posting!
I'd be happy to walk you through the entire process!

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What was the part you ordered for the CAT 5 pass through?

OP
OP
Bo-Ronco

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What was the part you ordered for the CAT 5 pass through?
Here is my full setup...

Radio: https://midlandusa.com/products/mxt275-micromobile-two-way-radio?bvstate=pg:3/ct:r

Antenna: https://midlandusa.com/collections/...ucts/micromobile-mxta26-6db-gain-whip-antenna

Antenna Cable: https://midlandusa.com/products/mic...ile-antenna-cable?_pos=1&_sid=2640db0e3&_ss=r

Ditch Light Bracket (used to mount antenna): https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/BR6-DLM.html

Cat5e Extension: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRZAN3R/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_GTY5PP8BHM3RVYCQ3Q15?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Console Molle Panel: https://mountains2metal.com/product/center-console-molle/

I also bought some cheap trim removal tools. They really did make the entire process very easy: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R44VJHN/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_VG4Y4GEXJA89JEBFCQMY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The Cat5E extension could have been way shorter. Honestly, 3 feet would have been plenty and still be able to install/Uninstall the console top easily. Same for the Antenna Cable. Had gobs of length remaining. May go back and trim the cable down.

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I bought the same radio a couple weeks ago still got to get it installed and some Baja desighn xl sport lights installed

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs