Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I took delivery of my Bronco it didn’t have the hardtop sound deadening package installed. Somewhere this got missed but Jeff at Galpin made it right and got the package delivered. I’m kind of glad it wasn’t installed as this gave me the opportunity to take advantage of a raw untreated top.

Based on a lot of people mentioning how little difference there was between the soft top and the hard top regarding outside noise I decided to add some Kilmat. And this weekend was beautiful so I started and finished that project.

I did each panel one at a time. First I removed all the latches, then laid out the factory liner, then I checked for clearance of the latches swing which led me to the areas I chose to not add treatment. Too thick under the latch and it would interfere with the throw of the latch. Next I thoroughly cleaned the entire area with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber. Noting the interior is somewhat rough so using a cloth that wouldn’t shed or leave residual fibers was pretty important. I then hand laid each piece with the backing still applied, formed them to the contours by hand and used my thumb nail to crease in the areas I would trim. Pulled the Kilmat and cut the unneeded areas with some shop shears.

Then I laid the piece down and reformed it paying close attention to the depressions, edges and contours. I used a roller to finish each piece and made sure they were super tight. Once the entire roof section was sound deadened I would recheck the factory head liner for any overlaps to avoid having any deadened hanging out exposed. I then recleaned the surface of the entire panel with the alcohol. Next was to peel and lay the factory liner. I had noted where rack piece needed to line up so I just took my time and employed the help from my wife for the two larger sections.

Overall I’m super happy with the results. I couldn’t really put numbers down for the interior sound decibel difference but it’s substantial. Yes the roof still has a notable air flowing sound from the seams, but it’s less than it was. And I no longer feel like I’m in a tent while in the Bronco which is about what the stock hardtop sounded like. Next I will probably deaden the entire interior while I upgrade the stereo.

Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat 84B04551-1113-426E-878A-C2A51C567A61

Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat 3BB79CFF-A631-4AB0-A20D-9476AB9CE5A7

Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat E01124D5-134B-49A7-BD0D-8BA3E0239366

Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat 66C20C03-CC14-41EC-81C7-9587327D512D

Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat 4258E1F2-D35B-477D-9631-9AC4D55C1C25

Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat 45147229-C688-4C49-967B-383EC9E0BECC

Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat 6ECA4740-4812-4A7B-AB51-86DF79F0365F
Sponsored

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is awesome. I wasn't able to get MIC, personally, because I couldn't wait that long, but I was thinking that a solution like this must be feasible on the hard-top.

Your solution looks great!

EDIT:

Can you use something like a velcro tape for the seams on the inside? I was thinking, for example, run a line of 1" velcro (hook side) along each side of a seam. Then run a 2" velcro (loop side) that you can take on/off to seal it up better

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Nice job. I contemplated ripping off my fuzzy liner to apply kilmat, but didn't know if it was worth the effort since most of the noise is wind from the gaps in the gaskets. I wish they would of forgot my headliner lol.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That looks great.

When I pulled my top off this last time and got some good sun on the front panels I couldn't believe how poorly the headliner was applied. Purple primer slopped all over outside of the carpet area.

OP
OP
Knownman

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I just drove again, the second trip, and noted the deadening has worked actually better than I was thinking this morning. I was driving on the 101 and started to really appreciate it. Even the ever present wind from the seams noise is down substantially. Now I can hear the tires and I really didn't notice them before. I can listen to a fairly quite podcast at sound volumes about half or maybe only two-thirds what I had to put it to before the mod. on the highway at 75 mph I have the volume at 10 and in town it's at 8 and that's with a really quite podcast containing old news interviews. I actually think it's almost as quite as the wife's Honda Pilot.

This is a really simple mod for any do it yourself. And the material doesn't cost much. I only bought one box for the entire roof and I din't use it all. I wish I could've left the top off. It's amazing like that. But I had work to do and leaving gear in the back isn't so great. Plus I wanted to see if that effort amounted to anything. I highly recommend the mod. I'll update this occasionally if I note any issues.

Cheers!

Sponsored

Denny3297

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acadia, Ranger, Fusion, E450 motorhome, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the exact reason I ordered my Bronco without the sound deadening headliner! Only difference is I haven't gotten around to it, so thanks so much for being the first! One question though, was the factory liner a peal and stick adhesive?

OP
OP
Knownman

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the exact reason I ordered my Bronco without the sound deadening headliner! Only difference is I haven't gotten around to it, so thanks so much for being the first! One question though, was the factory liner a peal and stick adhesive?
Yes the liner is peel and stick. And it’s really quite a sticky thing indeed! 😉

Scape Goat

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is great! Thanks for all the pictures. Some day when I get mine I will do the same. (y)(y)

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks for the writeup and pictures! This is on the "someday" list, whenever hotheads comes out with something for the Bronco, I'll rip out the carpet headliner and Kilmat the heck out of it.

2ata

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curr.: 2021 Ford Bronco; '77 924, '01 986, '02 911
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Any idea how much weight that mat added to the top?

Sponsored

Denny3297

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acadia, Ranger, Fusion, E450 motorhome, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you happen to have the part number for the kit?
Yes the liner is peel and stick. And it’s really quite a sticky thing indeed! 😉

motocane

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for posting! I actually asked if someone had tried DynaMat or something similar a while ago so glad to hear it works well. Fortunately, my 2dr didn't come with the factory liner installed either.

I'm wondering how the adhesive will hold up in the heat over time (CA for you; FL here) and whether the added weight from the Kilmat presents any issue (I doubt it).

Bronco71

Badlands
First Name
Scottie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1979 F250 Ranger Lariat, 1980 CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is awesome. I wasn't able to get MIC, personally, because I couldn't wait that long, but I was thinking that a solution like this must be feasible on the hard-top.

Your solution looks great!

EDIT:

Can you use something like a velcro tape for the seams on the inside? I was thinking, for example, run a line of 1" velcro (hook side) along each side of a seam. Then run a 2" velcro (loop side) that you can take on/off to seal it up better
I have factory headliner. Wind noise in front seam between both driver and passenger panels was bad. I bought some sound deadening squares off Amazon. They are like thick black felt. I cut them to fit over seam and attached them like you mentioned with Velcro so they are easy to remove. They helped with noise. Also tested a piece of clear gorilla tape over seam on the outside. That helped a lot, just looked like crap so removed it.

Mudlight

Base
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
Base
So, how did you stick the factory liner back to the Kilmat? Sorry, I missed that part.

OP
OP
Knownman

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any idea how much weight that mat added to the top?
So the Kilmat has some weight to it as I used the 80 mil thick option. That's inherent in all sound deadening but I used less than a full box, maybe I used two thirds of an 18.75 lb box. So go figure what that added is aprox 12 lbs across all four panels. The top is actually really light weight to begin with. I was worried at first about the weight but now I'm just happy I din't think too long about it.
Sponsored