Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't. When my sales rep got it in we just pulled the liners out of the cardboard box and loaded them into the Bronco.
So the liner ships as a dealer-installed accessory? Meaning we could just ask them in advance not to install upon arrival?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Knownman

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don’t know that it can be just ordered uninstalled or not. In my case I requested the liner way back when Ford offered it as a free upgrade. At the time hardtops we’re scheduled to receive this free of charge but if you had the MGV interior it had to be requested by the purchaser and the dealer would update the order. Like many of you know the ordering system wasn’t exactly accurate and had hickups. For this reason mine wasn’t installed at the factory but I immediately noticed it was missing upon delivery. So two months later my dealer received the liners in a big box. There are four pieces in all for the four door. And the pieces have a sticky backing with a wrapping that can be simply pulled away.
I would guess you can request it to be sent and not installed, but I don’t know how well that will work out for you. Just relaying my experience.

OP
OP
Knownman

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update:
We had a 85 degree day here and the Bronco sat in the sun all day. No issues so far.

Last edited:

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

FYI I applied Dynamat (similar product, https://www.dynamat.com/ ) to the underside of floor in another vehicle. We live in the desert southwest & sometimes even visit Phoenix in 118 degree summers. It has never come loose.
I was talking about the factory sound deadening. I've used Dynamat, I know its a good product. As many problems as Ford had with these hardtops I could see cheap glue being another issue.

Romano

Badlands
First Name
Roman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bmw/Honda/Ford
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t know that it can be just ordered uninstalled or not. In my case I requested the liner way back when Ford offered it as a free upgrade. At the time hardtops we’re scheduled to receive this free of charge but if you had the MGV interior it had to be requested by the purchaser and the dealer would update the order. Like many of you know the ordering system wasn’t exactly accurate and had hickups. For this reason mine wasn’t installed at the factory but I immediately noticed it was missing upon delivery. So two months later my dealer received the liners in a big box. There are four pieces in all for the four door. And the pieces have a sticky backing with a wrapping that can be simply pulled away.
I would guess you can request it to be sent and not installed, but I don’t know how well that will work out for you. Just relaying my experience.
Great write up, did you have to pay for the carpet after the fact or did the dealer get it ordered for you free of charge? Thank you.

Sponsored

NevadaDesertExploration

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks for my next upgrade. Living in Vegas this should help block out some of the radiant heat during the summer months.

Garret Sterling

Black Diamond
First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
When I took delivery of my Bronco it didn’t have the hardtop sound deadening package installed. Somewhere this got missed but Jeff at Galpin made it right and got the package delivered. I’m kind of glad it wasn’t installed as this gave me the opportunity to take advantage of a raw untreated top.

Based on a lot of people mentioning how little difference there was between the soft top and the hard top regarding outside noise I decided to add some Kilmat. And this weekend was beautiful so I started and finished that project.

I did each panel one at a time. First I removed all the latches, then laid out the factory liner, then I checked for clearance of the latches swing which led me to the areas I chose to not add treatment. Too thick under the latch and it would interfere with the throw of the latch. Next I thoroughly cleaned the entire area with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber. Noting the interior is somewhat rough so using a cloth that wouldn’t shed or leave residual fibers was pretty important. I then hand laid each piece with the backing still applied, formed them to the contours by hand and used my thumb nail to crease in the areas I would trim. Pulled the Kilmat and cut the unneeded areas with some shop shears.

Then I laid the piece down and reformed it paying close attention to the depressions, edges and contours. I used a roller to finish each piece and made sure they were super tight. Once the entire roof section was sound deadened I would recheck the factory head liner for any overlaps to avoid having any deadened hanging out exposed. I then recleaned the surface of the entire panel with the alcohol. Next was to peel and lay the factory liner. I had noted where rack piece needed to line up so I just took my time and employed the help from my wife for the two larger sections.

Overall I’m super happy with the results. I couldn’t really put numbers down for the interior sound decibel difference but it’s substantial. Yes the roof still has a notable air flowing sound from the seams, but it’s less than it was. And I no longer feel like I’m in a tent while in the Bronco which is about what the stock hardtop sounded like. Next I will probably deaden the entire interior while I upgrade the stereo.

84B04551-1113-426E-878A-C2A51C567A61.jpeg

3BB79CFF-A631-4AB0-A20D-9476AB9CE5A7.jpeg

E01124D5-134B-49A7-BD0D-8BA3E0239366.jpeg

66C20C03-CC14-41EC-81C7-9587327D512D.jpeg

4258E1F2-D35B-477D-9631-9AC4D55C1C25.jpeg

45147229-C688-4C49-967B-383EC9E0BECC.jpeg

6ECA4740-4812-4A7B-AB51-86DF79F0365F.jpeg
You must have a great mind because I was gonna do the EXACT SAME THING! Great Minds, I say!

OP
OP
Knownman

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great write up, did you have to pay for the carpet after the fact or did the dealer get it ordered for you free of charge? Thank you.
It was free of charge for me. Dealer handled the entire process.

OP
OP
Knownman

Knownman

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know this is asking a lot, but can you measure the decibels at 60 mph and someone else with a regular hard top do the same? Genuinely curious. lol
I used an app on my cell phone today called NIOSH. it measures sound but isn't calibrated so your results may vary. The phone is mounted on my 67 designs phone holder that's hung on the Archetype Racing BYOD rail. It's just to the right of the steering wheel and level with the dash. Sitting at the light the ambient sound was around 44 to 45 decibels.
Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat IMG_0053

Driving at 60 mph the sound was in the 65 dB range
Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat IMG_0051

And then on the 5 in a section that's got grooved concrete with a fairly windy day and doing 75 mph it was 75 dB.
I have stock Good Year Territory "Wrangler" 315's on the truck and the driveline is stock. The section of road I metered was pretty much about the loudest section we have around.

Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat IMG_0057

And I can't show any before because I honestly didn't think to do it before. Actually I was just too impatient to wait to do it once I had the time to get into it. :cool:

Economisto

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Mistubishi Montero, 2013 Audi S5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I used an app on my cell phone today called NIOSH. it measures sound but isn't calibrated so your results may vary. Sitting at the light the ambient sound was around 44 to 45 decibels.

Driving at 60 mph the sound was in the 65 dB range

And then on the 5 in a section that's got grooved concrete with a fairly windy day and doing 75 mph it was 75 dB.
I have stock Good Year Territory "Wrangler" 315's on the truck and the driveline is stock. The section of road I metered was pretty much about the loudest section we have around.

And I can't show any before because I honestly didn't think to do it before. Actually I was just too impatient to wait to do it once I had the time to get into it. :cool:

This is perfect! Just need someone that has a similar setup without the sound deadening to do the same lol. If not I can do it when I get mine in a couple months

Sponsored

peterh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler jlu 2018
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

That's an awesome job you did. I have a plan to paint my MIC white even on the inside and wonder if there is a product that can either take white or is white out of the box
there are acoustic hex panels in white and sound dampening paint -
any opinions or experience with whether they are effective in auto applications?
Trying to lighten up the cabin with a white interior roof and the sound deadener from the factory seems to look like grey carpet

Toffen

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I took delivery of my Bronco it didn’t have the hardtop sound deadening package installed. Somewhere this got missed but Jeff at Galpin made it right and got the package delivered. I’m kind of glad it wasn’t installed as this gave me the opportunity to take advantage of a raw untreated top.

Based on a lot of people mentioning how little difference there was between the soft top and the hard top regarding outside noise I decided to add some Kilmat. And this weekend was beautiful so I started and finished that project.

I did each panel one at a time. First I removed all the latches, then laid out the factory liner, then I checked for clearance of the latches swing which led me to the areas I chose to not add treatment. Too thick under the latch and it would interfere with the throw of the latch. Next I thoroughly cleaned the entire area with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber. Noting the interior is somewhat rough so using a cloth that wouldn’t shed or leave residual fibers was pretty important. I then hand laid each piece with the backing still applied, formed them to the contours by hand and used my thumb nail to crease in the areas I would trim. Pulled the Kilmat and cut the unneeded areas with some shop shears.

Then I laid the piece down and reformed it paying close attention to the depressions, edges and contours. I used a roller to finish each piece and made sure they were super tight. Once the entire roof section was sound deadened I would recheck the factory head liner for any overlaps to avoid having any deadened hanging out exposed. I then recleaned the surface of the entire panel with the alcohol. Next was to peel and lay the factory liner. I had noted where rack piece needed to line up so I just took my time and employed the help from my wife for the two larger sections.

Overall I’m super happy with the results. I couldn’t really put numbers down for the interior sound decibel difference but it’s substantial. Yes the roof still has a notable air flowing sound from the seams, but it’s less than it was. And I no longer feel like I’m in a tent while in the Bronco which is about what the stock hardtop sounded like. Next I will probably deaden the entire interior while I upgrade the stereo.

Fantastic job!
Thanks for taking the time to post this.
Coming from a 2010 hardtop Jeep, my only real disappointment in the Bronco is how ridiculously loud the wind noise is from the MIC top.
I am in the same boat as you with the factory forgetting my headliner. (Thank goodness)
It should be here soon, and after reading your post, I immediately ordered my Kilmat on Amazon!
Thanks again! 🍻

Bronco71

Badlands
First Name
Scottie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1979 F250 Ranger Lariat, 1980 CJ5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What kind of sound deadening squares?
Pictures please ?
Amazon link ?
I couldn’t find the amazon link or where I ordered the panels. I ordered them for another project a while back.
This only helps with the noise in the joint where front two panels meet. Its also only a temp solution til a better top is produced or Ford fixes these. I could see where doing something like the OP did plus this would help for mine.
Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat B15D923C-3DD3-4324-BD87-0C8E25DEA429

Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat 66AAF85B-05CC-48D8-B097-AA6176BDE576

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I couldn’t find the amazon link or where I ordered the panels. I ordered them for another project a while back.
This only helps with the noise in the joint where front two panels meet. Its also only a temp solution til a better top is produced or Ford fixes these. I could see where doing something like the OP did plus this would help for mine.
Ford Bronco Hardtop sound deadening mod using Kilmat 66AAF85B-05CC-48D8-B097-AA6176BDE576

Thanks for the explanation. đź‘Ť

Alvin Olson

Wildtrak
First Name
Alvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Raptor - 2017 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If you find the link , please let me know. The noise between that gap is a bit too much for my taste.
Sponsored