Sponsored

Bronco R Race Prototype Revealed for Baja 1000!

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the "race" one is boasting a whopping 14" of suspension travel, not even up with most side by sides... Maybe Ford needs a pic of jeeps crawling on eachother's 37s.

If it is an IFS, then this truly is another FJ. Not gonna slap big tires (37+) on a factory sheetmetal one like the wrangler they're trying to compete with.

I sold my rubicon in anticipation for this thing, if it is an IFS, I'll be buying another rubicon. I have a few other mall crawlers...

There is not a jeep on the planet that can keep up with a sidebyside in basically any trail condition (other than some specific rock configuration), let alone stock so lets use realistic comparisons here!

Also, its not an FJ, the 14" of travel is indicative of using production hardpoints. That's 6 inches more than the Colorado zr2. I think you will be surprised. i'll gladly pass you on the trail while you guys are climbing eachothers tires lolol.
Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You forget that I wheel an IFS truck on 37s pretty hard. I see nothing on this IFS system that isn't obviously a racing-specific part to get excited over. 14" of wheel travel on a race rig that looks like it is ~90" wide (outside tire to outside tire) is pretty pathetic. My rig has more than that and it is only 74" outside tire to outside tire. I see absolutely no indication that the new Bronco IFS will be anything special at all. Just another wanna be mall cruiser.
Already commented on this, 14" is very conservative, and is indicative of using production hardpoints and geometry. This wouldn't be much of a Bronco if it came with an ultra narrow diff and 20+ inches of travel. No, its like the Bronco with slightly lengthened and proportionately beefed up A-arms...

Similarly you can count on the TT2.7 EB being fairly badass without the plethora of hand built parts that are on this rig.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My guess is the Bronco will be an initial success.
Remember (as I understand it) the Bronco design/development initially recommended a different vehicle, now called Bronco Sport. No matter how many 'bad-ass' units sell, I'd guess the pull-through Sport sales will keep big brother around for quite awhile.

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is not a jeep on the planet that can keep up with a sidebyside in basically any trail condition (other than some specific rock configuration), let alone stock so lets use realistic comparisons here!

Also, its not an FJ, the 14" of travel is indicative of using production hardpoints. That's 6 inches more than the Colorado zr2. I think you will be surprised. i'll gladly pass you on the trail while you guys are climbing eachothers tires lolol.
How much travel will it have at production width though? 8”?

The R is definitely a bad ass rig, just probably not what a lot of us are interested in. I don’t understand the need for another desert machine. The Raptor has that covered. While the Early Bronco has a history in the desert it’s not what 99% of enthusiasts build their EBs for. That would be tight trails and rocks. I’m a die hard Ford fan but I’m betting the JLU is gonna be a better rig for me.

Sponsored

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How much travel will it have at production width though? 8”?

The R is definitely a bad ass rig, just probably not what a lot of us are interested in. I don’t understand the need for another desert machine. The Raptor has that covered. While the Early Bronco has a history in the desert it’s not what 99% of enthusiasts build their EBs for. That would be tight trails and rocks. I’m a die hard Ford fan but I’m betting the JLU is gonna be a better rig for me.
My guess is more than 10" based on the relative length of the A-arms, and its not less than 10 unless something changed from what I heard a year or so ago...

I completely agree on the marketing though, I don't mind that the R is a badass desert slayer, but I know for a fact that the actual engineers on this have been benchmarking jeep across the board, not trying to make a Raptor jr... so I hope the marketing reflects this when they actually reveal it. It is kind of like how the ZR2 is a jack of all trades except the Bronco actually will be a master of some. Lets not forget how capable the ZR2 is with lockers and only 8" of travel (ford explorer territory lol)

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pretty much the typical production 4x4 IFS. The rest of it doesn't bother me.
I don't see too many side by sides on technical rock trails. I don't care about going fast, I care about going slow.

Please come out to Chile Challenge in 2021 with your new Bronco and follow me up some real trails and we'll see who the trail tampon is.
I passed jeeps on the trial in my 87 diesel pickup (and none of us could touch the side by sides that acted basically like hovercraft lol), so being a trail tampon is a lot more about the driver than the rig lol. i'd love to wheel with you, but are we talking stock rigs? Give me a couple years and my Bronco will be half way to looking like this R anyway...

loubif

Threads
Reaction score
I hope and truly believe this is just one specific race version of one of the packages that may be available for future Bronco buyers, this new info is just showing the "Raptor" version of what the production trim looks like in race trim, after owning a 2011 Raptor Crew I am holding out for the "Rock Monster" trim/version that I hope will be available at or after initial launch.

SpursFan

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
350r, F150, Expedition, Cayenne and the others.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks pretty solid for a general idea of the shape. The side profile will be completely different but still give a good feel if you know the difference between a race prepped chassis and a production vehicle. Minus the front clip I see a lot of H3 which I've always been a fan of from a profile standpoint. Good to see we can close the book on will a v6 be available.

I knew Ford wouldn't pass up SEMA to let this and some of the cat out of the bag, only more to come.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have an '84 IDI and what I call "real trails" I would never dream about taking it (at least not without extensive modifications and a total disregard for body damage. I am not talking bone stock rigs, but there are plenty of late model Jeeps on the trails with factory drivetrains and suspension configurations.

I am happy to go wheeling with anyone, but my interest lies primarily in tight technical trails, not hauling ass on dirt roads. I think it would be an excellent idea for a Ford engineer to come out to Chile Challenge and see some terrain where a solid axle dominates (very different from Moab-style wheeling).
My problem is I want to do both lol, but the Chile Challenge does sound dope (and indeed the trails we were on were not that rugged, only pointing out that some people are aggressive/passive regardless of gear)

Also as many here have already noted, this R is obviously modified, and those mods are heavily biased towards desert running, similarly they could throw the same budget at it for the rocks. I doubt they will just for a PR stunt. I just don't want people to get do disappointed by the bronco trajectory based on the R running the baja 1000. My big takeaway here is simply how impressive it is to be running 4x4 in the baja 1000 with stock IFS driveline and steering gear (obviously stretched, but stock where it matters). This will no doubt be a brutal test for those components regardless of how you wheel.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Emperor Has No Clothes.

This is ugly as **** if you ask me. I honestly think half the people declaring their love for it today would say the same thing if they weren't so desperate to see something.

Like someone said earlier, it probably has as much in common with the production body as a typical NASCAR body would.

Two words...ROCK MONSTER
That thing would be awful on the rocks, the clearances aren't that great, and its stupidly wide. This is clearly built for going fast over fairly open even paths.

Sharp eye. Does the 3.0 use the same filter location?
I was asking myself that same question. Pretty sure the 2.7 and 3.0 are very similar.

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Emperor Has No Clothes.

This is ugly as **** if you ask me. I honestly think half the people declaring their love for it today would say the same thing if they weren't so desperate to see something.

Like someone said earlier, it probably has as much in common with the production body as a typical NASCAR body would.

That thing would be awful on the rocks, the clearances aren't that great, and its stupidly wide. This is clearly built for going fast over fairly open even paths.
Jalisurr already covered this if you want to see his comment. Is this a stock body? No! but come on now, NASCAR? that's insulting lol, a better comparison is GT class. NASCAR is a joke to compare to any base vehicle. And obviously a GT class car is not at all what you buy from the dealer.

As for the rocks, see comments above, this is obviously not optimized for the rocks, and it would probably still wipe the floor with any stock Jeep so lets not get toooo crazy ;)
Sponsored