Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Bronco, 1969 Mustang, 85 SVO, Mach-e
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All this talk about removing doors one should consider the risk of damage to the doors when you remove them. I may ppf my doors just to protect them.
I want to PPF the whole truck and it sounds like that will be a factory option.
Sponsored

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Here are some issues with letting the factory do it:

Wrapping an entire vehicle takes time. I say it takes at least 2 days. A good installer will free hand and cut the PPF to size. This is not to say a good installer does not take pre-cut sheets and use those. Xpel has a program where you can enter the car model and make and what panels you want to wrap and a big ass printer it will cut those panels. The issue is that a good installer will want to tuck the edges so no one can tell. This is how you know if a good installer worked on your car. I once asked an installer that precut sheets seem not to be tucked in. He told me the software allows us to add a mm or 2 so that we can tuck in the edges. I bet Ford will use precut sheets and they will not be tucked in .. they will do this for ease of install and speedy installs

Also if many owners opt for the factory to do it and you have 100 cars in front of you then your bronco will sit and wait for weeks. How do I know this? I order my 2019 with a spray in bed and trucks with this option sit in a lot with the other trucks waiting for it to get done.

My 2019 raptor took close to 4 months from ordering to delivery and 3-4 weeks was waiting to get the bed sprayed. Even my dealer was scratching their heads as to why it was taking so long.

I say take delivery and find a local installer. Xpel warranties their PPF and install for 10 years.

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
He probably means dealer installed, like the undercoating....

Main problem there is they may not have the best installers

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
he was talking about PPF and not undercoating >>

71BroncoSport said:

He probably means dealer installed, like the undercoating....

Main problem there is they may not have the best installers

Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
he was talking about PPF and not undercoating >>

71BroncoSport said:

I was unclear, I used undercoating as an example of an often dealer installed add on that would likely get sold in the finance office as a pure profit add on

I do not think ppf application at the factory level makes sense and I suspect that someone crossed their wires somewhere

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I agree. A factory PPF isntall is not something I would trust.

Some high end dealers (Lambo, Maclaren, ect. ) would outsource this work to local detailing companies that have the experience as they do this all day.

I was unclear, I used undercoating as an example of an often dealer installed add on that would likely get sold in the finance office as a pure profit add on

I do not think ppf application at the factory level makes sense and I suspect that someone crossed their wires somewhere

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I appreciate the PPF input. I was 100% sold on a local place doing it. My wife had her 2020 Explorer ST done (Front half) and they did a great job. They have a great reputation in the area. The problem is between assembly and a few weeks after delivery is the paint can get messed up, ESPECIALLY in the transportation and dealer prep time.

With the factory doing it, the paint is in it's best shape (Minus any post wet sanding) it'll ever be in.

The delay is a big issue you bring up. If it adds weeks to the delivery then forget it.

Rmck49

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
If the seats fold forward Im sure you could probably fit it in the vehicle that way. Back in the day with my Geo tracker I only ever kept one rear seat in it. Ill probably do the exact same thing with a 2 door when I buy one. I fully expect the front seat part of the top and doors will be able to fit in the 2 door if i pull a seat like I plan to.

Also yes on the Wrangler they use the same doors between 2 and 4 door models because Chrysler penny pinches in any way they can. Just like the Gladiator back doors look weird because they use the door set from the 4 door (which has the rear tire a lot closer to the back doors, hence the odd shape on the Gladiator).

Im not sure yet if i like the bigger door on the 2 door model. It will be more open when you go doorless will be neat but i always hate bigger "coupe" doors when it comes to parking lots and getting in/out of cars.
Easier to get in the back seat with bigger doors.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The ability to store the doors in the back is vastly overrated. You definitely don't want them back there while wheeling, but even for trips to the mall it would be better to just leave them at home.
Yeah, it's cool they have bags to store the 4door, but in reality I doubt many people do other than a time or two. I plan on having stuff back there anyway, so the doors wouldn't fit regardless.

Sponsored

CFC

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee overland
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can do a full wrap in vehicle in half a day . Be prepared to spend thousands to do it .

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The ability to store the doors in the back is vastly overrated. You definitely don't want them back there while wheeling, but even for trips to the mall it would be better to just leave them at home.
Yeah, it's cool they have bags to store the 4door, but in reality I doubt many people do other than a time or two. I plan on having stuff back there anyway, so the doors wouldn't fit regardless.
Not to mention you wouldn't be able to leave anything in the cargo area if you wanted to store them all back there.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Not to mention you wouldn't be able to leave anything in the cargo area if you wanted to store them all back there.

Yeah, I think it will be a novelty that will quickly give way to practicality. It is a cool feature that Ford thought of, but I just don't see it as anything more than a "hey Jeep, look what we can do" type thing.

OP
OP
Metal_Horses

Metal_Horses

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I disagree. Coming home from work, throw the doors in the back. Going to an all day family thing, throw the doors in the back. 5 hours later if it looks like rain, put the doors back on. I'm looking forward to doing this.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I disagree. Coming home from work, throw the doors in the back. Going to an all day family thing, throw the doors in the back. 5 hours later if it looks like rain, put the doors back on. I'm looking forward to doing this.
Yeah, I do see myself using it from time to time, but not ALL the time. I agree with the scenario you present with the way home from work. But if I'm at home on a gorgeous sunny winter day here in S FL and go for a drive, I'll leave them at home so they're not back there in the way.
Sponsored