First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was going to my FordPass app to check my oil life and before I could access my account, it was required to click on “I Agree.”

It was a tremendously long list of conditions. Among other things, your driving stats (speed, braking, etc…) are shared with other entities. A real “Big Brother “ feel to it.

I didn’t agree. I wanted to see the forum’s reaction. It also stated that no agreement meant you can no longer use the FordPass app.
Sponsored

Jawbox

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I mean, yeah. It's the way the finance the work, it doesn't feel like you get a ton of value out of it right now so I don't feel like you'd be missing much.

SZairborne

Big Bend
First Name
Shayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge charger GT AWD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ever read the permissions when you download app to your phone? Same things.

Sponsored

Aurongel

Outer Banks
First Name
M.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Dodge Challenger RT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m a cloud network security engineer so this is all well-trodden territory for me. Ford wants to collect user telemetry to help inform their future business strategies and also to sell it to advertisers and data brokerage firms. It’s extremely lucrative for them which is why they’re having their dealers push it as hard as they are and why they offer some pretty decent perks for those who engage with it for some specific period of time.

It’s why many data privacy advocates want the United States to adopt a regulatory standard for data collection transparency and accountability like what exists in the European Union with GDPR.

RedDawg

Big Bend
First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just wait until your Bronco asks you if it can share your music listening history.
Mine asked me yesterday 😳

OP
OP
Last Ride Bronco

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m a cloud network security engineer so this is all well-trodden territory for me. Ford wants to collect user telemetry to help inform their future business strategies and also to sell it to advertisers and data brokerage firms. It’s extremely lucrative for them which is why they’re having their dealers push it as hard as they are and why they offer some pretty decent perks for those who engage with it for some specific period of time.

It’s why many data privacy advocates want the United States to adopt a regulatory standard for data collection transparency and accountability like what exists in the European Union with GDPR.
So, what is your verdict?

1) Run for your life! Hard no!
Or
2) Meh, nothing new here (even the driving data).

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've clicked agree for now so I get my 42,000 points

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

SecuriAlert alone is worth it for me (e.g., “Driver door opened. Lock doors? Sound horn & flash lights? Alert police?”)

I also like the ability to see my oil life remaining, odometer reading, estimated distance to empty, and tire pressures remotely.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

And now they have added "Alexa". The Ford Pass app is like far less invasive than Alexa.

MiFord

Base
First Name
Raj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, what is your verdict?

1) Run for your life! Hard no!
Or
2) Meh, nothing new here (even the driving data).
Say Yes on the app. Go to your Bronco and turn off all settings related to data sharing. Ford will still warn you " the world is ending..." if you proceed :)

Plala

Big Bend
First Name
Pamela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
In my iPhone settings I allowed ford to have location info “while using”. The app is bugging me to change that and go to my settings to allow “all the time”. That’s what really bugs me. I’ve had 5 ford vehicles and worked for Ford and never used FordPass before - I would download the app so the SP gets credit and then delete the app…and I think I’m going to do that again. I can’t really see a benefit and what if ford partners with insurance companies? I know iPhone does same thing but I use a vpn and I’m very careful about setting up my apps correctly and limiting permissions. I always felt Ford Pass was intrusive….I am not a commodity - I am a customer.

OP
OP
Last Ride Bronco

Last Ride Bronco

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan pup
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
In my iPhone settings I allowed ford to have location info “while using”. The app is bugging me to change that and go to my settings to allow “all the time”. That’s what really bugs me. I’ve had 5 ford vehicles and worked for Ford and never used FordPass before - I would download the app so the SP gets credit and then delete the app…and I think I’m going to do that again. I can’t really see a benefit and what if ford partners with insurance companies? I know iPhone does same thing but I use a vpn and I’m very careful about setting up my apps correctly and limiting permissions. I always felt Ford Pass was intrusive….I am not a commodity - I am a customer.
I think that is what most people are leery of, that insurance companies might get involved. If you read through the agreement information, you will see that it states that your driving habits can be given to government entities without your knowledge. I don't really know what that means unless it is a reference to prosecution in the event of an automobile accident.
Sponsored