First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Base
I purchased my Bronco last week 5/2. Immediately day one I noticed my headlights (when selected for the automatic position) would "forget" their setting and select themself to on. It will happen in a few different ways (and not every time). 1. I shut off the vehicle after driving and open the door the car will be dinging at me to notify me my headlights are on. 2. they will turn themselves on when I lock or unlock the car (not just courtesy lighting) but on on. and 3. sometimes randomly they will just turn on like mid day at work I will look out and they will be on.

To guarantee I am not simply hitting the switch with my knee when getting in or out of the bronco I taped the selector switch in the automatic position. I documented a number of cases over the past week in the youtube videos linked below. It is clear the selector switch is bad, as it does not remember what is selected and "has a mind of its own". Has anyone delt with this yet? Can you tell me what your dealership had to replace etc?

Sponsored

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What happens if you just set them to "off" and not use automatic? I'm old school I guess and hate automatic.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I purchased my Bronco last week 5/2. Immediately day one I noticed my headlights (when selected for the automatic position) would "forget" their setting and select themself to on. It will happen in a few different ways (and not every time). 1. I shut off the vehicle after driving and open the door the car will be dinging at me to notify me my headlights are on. 2. they will turn themselves on when I lock or unlock the car (not just courtesy lighting) but on on. and 3. sometimes randomly they will just turn on like mid day at work I will look out and they will be on.

To guarantee I am not simply hitting the switch with my knee when getting in or out of the bronco I taped the selector switch in the automatic position. I documented a number of cases over the past week in the youtube videos linked below. It is clear the selector switch is bad, as it does not remember what is selected and "has a mind of its own". Has anyone delt with this yet? Can you tell me what your dealership had to replace etc?
Good morning! Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your Bronco's headlight concerns.

OP
OP

broncocoy

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Base
What happens if you just set them to "off" and not use automatic? I'm old school I guess and hate automatic.
I don't know haha I just want the auto option to work like it does in any of my other vehicles. But like you say it would be interesting to know if it still does it if it is selected to OFF.

OP
OP

broncocoy

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Base
Good morning! Could you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer? I would like to take a closer look at your Bronco's headlight concerns.
PM sent, Thanks!

Sponsored

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I noticed mine do the same thing maybe once every fifty drives

OP
OP

broncocoy

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Base
I noticed mine do the same thing maybe once every fifty drives
Strange, I am seeing this ~ one of every 3 drive cycles, some times back to back. I taped the switch to be sure it wasnt my knee hitting the switch on accident.

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Strange, I am seeing this ~ one of every 3 drive cycles, some times back to back. I taped the switch to be sure it wasnt my knee hitting the switch on accident.
yes I kept thinking maybe I am hitting.. I am not lol but I have had them come on at work a few times but it has been so out of the ordinary for me. it has not been on my mind to much, I do find myself checking to make sure they are off at night just in case. I have talked to a few bronco owners i have seen they seem to not have this issue at all

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been experiencing this a few times too, it's so weird. Definitely seems like a switch issue of some sort.

Also, I read that F-150's had a recall a few years back due to headlight switch software glitches. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a bad line of code that's causing this.

Last edited:

thesocalexplorer

Big Bend
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sponsored

ctandc

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22/23 Bronco, 96 EB Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Taping the switch doesn't do anything. You can spin the switch all you want. On my '22 2dr BB Mid package, I bumped the switch the other day with my knee. Then realized every time you cut the truck off, and get back in, it resets the switch indicator to Auto.

Brnco2.7

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mine also does this. I get the headlight on chime but nothing telling me what the problem is. I turn the headlight switch to off and it goes away.

Lambert87

Base
First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 f250, 71 Super beetle, 05 F150, 22 bronco sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not too be dragging up an older thread but I've noticed about 4 times in my 1300 miles that I will unlock the bronco with the fob, open the door and it's dinging like my lights are on.
I turn the switch to off and the dinging stopped.... Thinking I had brushed the switch with my knee I passed it off, but it did it today getting out of the truck and I know for a fact that I hadn't ever turned the lights on. I've also noticed when this happens that my HVAC will be on #4 fan speed and in "recirc" mode plus Android auto doesn't connect... I'm trying to notice a rhythm so I will be able to duplicate it, but it's sooo random...

OP
OP

broncocoy

Base
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi A5 Cabriolet
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not too be dragging up an older thread but I've noticed about 4 times in my 1300 miles that I will unlock the bronco with the fob, open the door and it's dinging like my lights are on.
I turn the switch to off and the dinging stopped.... Thinking I had brushed the switch with my knee I passed it off, but it did it today getting out of the truck and I know for a fact that I hadn't ever turned the lights on. I've also noticed when this happens that my HVAC will be on #4 fan speed and in "recirc" mode plus Android auto doesn't connect... I'm trying to notice a rhythm so I will be able to duplicate it, but it's sooo random...
Interesting, I haven't thought to see if I notice any settings elsewhere in the interior that are consistent to when I notice this happening! Still waiting to see what Ford and my dealership want to do to fix this.

r21free

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ive notice that my knee keeps turning the switch when I get out. I know not the same problem but an·noy·ing
Sponsored