Sponsored

Don't underestimate the 27mm rear strut bottom nut...

Shamalama86

Outer Banks
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FX4 3.5L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Interesting thanks for the heads up. I wonder why it’s so tight… and seems like others have had issues too.
Sponsored

Murfman

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WildTrak, Cyber Orange soft top
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Interesting thanks for the heads up. I wonder why it’s so tight… and seems like others have had issues too.
350 pound feet of torque. FWIW, Jesus nut, that holds the rotor blades on a Cobra or Huey helicopter is 710 pound feet.

OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Fyi Milwaukee high torque impact made short work of the nut. I didn't tighten the nut back to the same level. I did add a drop of locktight and will see if that was a bad idea...

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Fyi Milwaukee high torque impact made short work of the nut. I didn't tighten the nut back to the same level. I did add a drop of locktight and will see if that was a bad idea...
I figure an impact will get it off but how in the world are you all tightening it back up? 1. I’m not that strong, and 2. I don’t know anyone with a 350 ft lb torque wrench

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I figure an impact will get it off but how in the world are you all tightening it back up? 1. I’m not that strong, and 2. I don’t know anyone with a 350 ft lb torque wrench
A dozen ugga duggas with the impact will get you close.

Sponsored

8cam

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Put a paint mark on the nut/bolt so you can tell if it backs off. Then tighten moar. :cool:

Sooner

Base
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 F100, 56 CJ5, 11 F250, 17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Sounds lIke y’all need to invest in 3/4 drive tools. Most of the stuff I work on is well over 350 Ft lb, snap on is the only way to go. Or buy a multiplier

Last edited:

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pretty sure mine came from Ice Mountain (has salt/grit on the underside), 4ft cheater pipe had no effect. I am a pretty big guy too... Currently soaking with PB Blaster.

Only takes a couple of double taps with an impact to go fully overboard.
Yeah that sounds way too tight for a new vehicle or has some corrosion. You were probably putting close to 700 to 1000ft/lbs in spurts!

So how’d you get it torqued back to 350 ft lb?
Math can get you really close by "hand".

First, you always want clean threads no matter what method you use. Torque wrenches don't know the difference between stretching the bolt (which it needs to do) or the resistance from messed up threads.

Then, as in this instance, a 200lb person could achieve 350ft/lbs by standing on the breaker bar almost 2’ from the bolt.

Or if working from underneath, they could take a 4’ bar and hang half of their weight (100lbs) at the 3.5’ mark.

Just multiply the number of feet from the bolt by pounds exerted at that point.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What flavor? Blueberry or Cherry?

I prefer cherry flavored Locktite for suspension components for it's perfect hold and that it won't back off at all once cured. If you're consistent across your fleet, you know you'll have to bring the torch out to bake the cake whenever you're working on suspension so it's not a big deal.

FWIW, for many years it seems Ford was using red locktite on certain suspension components at the factory, probably to ensure customers couldn't do any work themselves without the tech knowing.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Snacktime

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds lIke y’all need to invest in 3/4 drive tools. Most of the stuff I work on is well over 350 Ft lb, snap on is the only way to go. Or buy a multiplier
Or make my father in law return them, but he has the tractors and I have a 110v mower.

What flavor? Blueberry or Cherry?

I prefer cherry flavored Locktite for suspension components for it's perfect hold and that it won't back off at all once cured. If you're consistent across your fleet, you know you'll have to bring the torch out to bake the cake whenever you're working on suspension so it's not a big deal.

FWIW, for many years it seems Ford was using red locktite on certain suspension components at the factory, probably to ensure customers couldn't do any work themselves without the tech knowing.
Cherry flavor as it is my favorite, couple of drops here and there go a long ways. Even a propane torch works on cherry.

I just figured it was a little bit of insurance, pretty sure if it come loose I will get a rattle over bumps. My Ram 1500 has a shock that likes to slowly work the nut loose, every 10-15k miles I have to put a half a turn on it.

51Creature

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Finally killed my old air impact(20 year old Frankenstein special) this weekend, case split/cracked after some 20 years of abuse. FYI 1/2" 600ftlb impact didn't budge the nut and I gave up after 4ft cheater bar didn't help...

So I ordered a new Milwaukee 1/2" High Torque Fuel Impact this morning. I am going to remove the nut no matter what the cost at this point. I have used Milwaukee impacts at work for years, just haven't had a reason to get one personally. Yes I spent at least an hour on one nut by the time I got impact out then switched to a breaker bar and rubber mallet. Then grabbed my spare piece of pipe...
Yup Milwaukee fuel will do the trick 99 percent of the time. I haven’t used my air impact (1150 ft lbs reverse) since I got the fuel. I believe it’s 1400 in reverse?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Or make my father in law return them, but he has the tractors and I have a 110v mower.

Cherry flavor as it is my favorite, couple of drops here and there go a long ways. Even a propane torch works on cherry.

I just figured it was a little bit of insurance, pretty sure if it come loose I will get a rattle over bumps. My Ram 1500 has a shock that likes to slowly work the nut loose, every 10-15k miles I have to put a half a turn on it.
Just a dab will do ya, unless you're aiming to please a busy room of participants.

M Redwood

Big Bend
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BB,BASE
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Just shy of welded... took 2 of us and breaker to get

SVCOFFROAD

Big Bend
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Multiple
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Finally killed my old air impact(20 year old Frankenstein special) this weekend, case split/cracked after some 20 years of abuse. FYI 1/2" 600ftlb impact didn't budge the nut and I gave up after 4ft cheater bar didn't help...

So I ordered a new Milwaukee 1/2" High Torque Fuel Impact this morning. I am going to remove the nut no matter what the cost at this point. I have used Milwaukee impacts at work for years, just haven't had a reason to get one personally. Yes I spent at least an hour on one nut by the time I got impact out then switched to a breaker bar and rubber mallet. Then grabbed my spare piece of pipe...
You should look into a torque multiplier, you’ll need to torque it to 350 ft-lbs after.
Sponsored