Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Question, how much thicker is the casting of the RC knuckle than the stock one? I got a unique glimpse at a cross section of the stock knuckle.

image_67236097.JPG
This picture proves just how strong the aluminum parts are!!! Solid aluminum can be just as strong or stronger than hollow steel castings...lol.

RC knuckles are approximately 3Xs thicker and alot heavier...Their I-beam style design looks very strong and has to be as it is 4 " taller and the forces have increased leverage....but the hollow OEM style definitely adds STIFFNESS with their hollw casting... I'm curious what the RC knuckles used for material...some are made from weldable steel while others are not. I'm looking into this.
Sponsored

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This picture proves just how strong the aluminum parts are!!! Solid aluminum can be just as strong or stronger than hollow steel castings...lol.

RC knuckles are approximately 3Xs thicker and alot heavier...Their I-beam style design looks very strong and has to be as it is 4 " taller and the forces have increased leverage....but the hollow OEM style definitely adds STIFFNESS with their hollw casting... I'm curious what the RC knuckles used for material...some are made from weldable steel while others are not. I'm looking into this.
Exactly the observations I was looking for. I'm looking forward seeing how your build develops.

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, is Kia the winner? I'm going crawling at the Fun Run in Hot Springs this weekend so I need to pick up some spares!
Still in transit, scheduled for tomorrow.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thwarted again. The length works with the 09-14 F150 inner. The part that goes into the knuckle is puny. The Moog specs said 12mm but this off brand is 10mm. Maybe a real Moog would solve that, but the tapered section is way too short for us. Here it is compared to a 04-08 F150 outer.

Personally, for the foreseeable future I'm going to run stock Bronco steering and keep Ranger spare inners on hand.

Maybe down the road Ford will give us a better option. HOSS 3.0 tie rods?

PXL_20220511_234849226.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One more hail mary before I call it quits. Nissan D21 truck TRE. It's male threads so if it works it will be paired with a double female sleeve.

Defyfate11

First Edition
First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Camry TRD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I took off the Fabtech UCAs because the uniball has LESS angle available than the OEM ball joint....so for all the fools selling this crap try using shit that's better than OEM not worse. Probably the only ones worth a shit are the ICONS that use factory ball joint.

The OEM UCA joint has nearly 80 degrees of movement!

And for those that think new UCAs with these uni balls or heims with misalignment caps, are bad-ass super shit...here's a clue... THERE JUNK!

Here's some pics ...

Ford Bronco Exploring off-the-shelf tie rod upgrades PXL_20220511_234849226

Icon made mention that FORD has great range of motion of their suspension components on their off road vehicles from stock and so with their philosophy of better performance they created the new ICON Delta Joint PRO specifically for the above reasons. The regular Delta joint was not able to exceed the OEM specs and so the Pro had to be created.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, is Kia the winner? I'm going crawling at the Fun Run in Hot Springs this weekend so I need to pick up some spares!
I purchased the bronc buster braces, have 20,000 miles on my badlands and they are doing the trick, Im thinking ill upgrade to the Wildtrak 2.0 rack but I’m sure that’s not a one off and it’s on another Ford product..now to figure out what parts bin Ford got that from.

UtahBrandon

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puravidaoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
a number of classics and my 4dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great thread. Thank you so much for all the research.

To distill this and make sure I fully understand the recommendation, is it fair to say that this Moog EV317 is an effective spare to keep on board?

Edit: just noticing that link doesn't supply context, but that's the inner tie rod end for a 2004 Ford Ranger with any of the 3 available engine models.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great thread. Thank you so much for all the research.

To distill this and make sure I fully understand the recommendation, is it fair to say that this Moog EV317 is an effective spare to keep on board?

Edit: just noticing that link doesn't supply context, but that's the inner tie rod end for a 2004 Ford Ranger with any of the 3 available engine models.
Yes that's what you want. I've taken to referring to them as an EV317 as well, less typing. I keep 2 in my Bronco when offroading.

Sponsored

joeramirez

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is there a quick install video you can link to?

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

:LOL:
Yes that's what you want. I've taken to referring to them as an EV317 as well, less typing. I keep 2 in my Bronco when offroading.
I'm ready to party.
Ford Bronco Exploring off-the-shelf tie rod upgrades PXL_20220512_212538877

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is there a quick install video you can link to?
I don't know of a Bronco specific one. This one isn't bad, but we don't have the pins so skip that step. All the videos show to use a tie rod tool, but a large crescent wrench will work. You don't *have* to remove the stud from the knuckle as they first show to do, the inner will spin enough to get it out.. I crank the steering all the way towards the side I'm replacing for better access. If you're gentle you can reuse the boot clamp and crimp it back tight with a pair of side cutters.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)