Sponsored

I can't wait to go off road. What can I do?

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm pretty much resolved to huge wait times from here before ever receiving my Bronco. (Reservation Nov 2020, Badlands, Sasquatch, Hardtop, Trailer tow, V6, Automatic trans.) And I suspect I'm not the only one.

Wife and I did do OffRodeo and we are just pumped about going offroading on local trails.
Been watching lots of off road videos. Been checking out trail maps of local areas. Joined local 4x4 off road meetup group. Not doing much with the group, just watching what trips they are taking to get ideas of where to go. Watching more videos.

One idea is to be a volunteer support rider to others in the local meetup group. Bring gas money. (Hoping single drivers want company...)

Another idea is to purchase an off road capable vehicle right now. Something with no wait times for availability. Cargurus is your buddy here.
--A Bronco Sport is an idea... buy it use it then trade it in when the Bronco arrives a few years from now. That's going to be expensive.
--Mechanics special (4x4 pickup?) I've got skills/tools in this arena. Interesting finds on OfferUp . Get it running, lift kit? wheels, tires?
I like the off road capable unibody vehicles I've seen.
--Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Inspiring Video here...) I can find lots of these, pretty affordable.
--Used Jeep Wrangler (Lots of these around, high mileage ones are affordable)
--Suburu Outback?

The thought is to have something that gets me off road, learn the trails, learn how to ground guide. Its a temporary fix. Something less then $25K that can be resold or traded in when the Bronco finally arrives. (2023?)

What would you do? Anybody else in this situation?
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was in that situation.
Bought a over-100K mile (but with recent engine) TJ, immediately hit the trails and took the top down/doors off.
Sold it for what I paid for it once the Bronco "built and shipped" email came across.
IF you are expecting the wait to last past summer, I'd look into it.
Ride-a-longs with clubs in your area is also a way to get out there and not take on the potential investment/loss. Most of them have events or "clean up" days where they ride the trails and do maintenance and cleanup.
You'd gain some knowledge, network some friends to go wheeling with, etc.

Last edited:

utbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Last edited:
OP
OP

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm still dinking with alternatives here. A couple of things I found.
  • Jeep Wranglers REALLY hold their value in the used marketplace. Jeep Wrangler has lowest average 5-year depreciation of any make/model at 9.2%.
  • I found lots of used stuff for sale at Craigslist, CarGurus, and OfferUp. When I do the math, generally the used Jeep Wrangler market retains essentially the same cost/mile as do new Jeep Wranglers. My formula for Cost / mile = Used price / (150,000 lifetime est. mileage - current odometer). The number for a new Wrangler is around $0.30/mile. Generally that is the same range as used market. 2 Door Wranglers seem to be cheaper.
  • One interesting thing I discovered was aftermarket Digital Multimedia Video Receivers and their nice installation packages. This breathes new life in to pre-2010 vehicles with low mileage without Bluetooth at a reasonable cost. (My Bronco order will be my first Bluetooth equipped vehicle.)
  • I'm still looking at lots of different ways to go off road.. Wranglers, 4x4 trucks, etc...
  • A key factor in what I buy is how easily I can sell it later.
Like many of you, I'm frustrated. If I had known when I made my Bronco reservation that it wouldn't be filled for three or more years, I would probably have made different decisions at the start. (Good news / bad news... were it not for the Bronco OffRodeo, I wouldn't have gotten the urge to go offroad pronto...). I'm pretty committed to Ford, but I gotta say, getting a Wrangler off the lot is pretty attractive right now. Generally the Additional Dealer Markup (ADM) on a new Jeep Wrangler is around $5000 for a $40,000 vehicle.

The dilemma is If I get something nice now, why bother buying a Bronco later? sigh...

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Used comfortable side by side. Great for support. Plus you get the option of keeping it or selling it when the bronco comes in.

OP
OP

ZipZit

Badlands
First Name
Zip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Escape, 2008 Mazda3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Used comfortable side by side. Great for support. Plus you get the option of keeping it or selling it when the bronco comes in.
Great call for those committed to having fun offroad, but I have to store it somewhere, and then transport it to the offroad site. No go for me. No truck here. No vehicle with trailer hitch. No trailer. I'm still thinking along the lines of a new or used Wrangler...
Sponsored