First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Converted a 6x12 cargo trailer into a camper. Lock and roll hitch, 35s, sleeps 4, weighs 2660 lb dry. Kitchen in rear with fridge, sink and 7 gallons of water on a electric pump. Solar panels up top charging 12V battery.

IMG_20220509_201754.jpg

(Last year before the 35s and new hitch)
Screenshot_20220510-115343.jpg

Screenshot_20220510-114501~2.jpg

IMG_20220509_195242.jpg

(Full bed up top for the wife and I)
Screenshot_20220510-115030~2.jpg

(Kids bunked underneath us on sleeping pad sized beds)
Screenshot_20220510-115046~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220510-115039~2.jpg
Nice build. The only thing keeping me sane during the wait for my Bronco is building out my 6x12 conversion. The questions I have all pertain to how do you like the hitch? How much of an extension did you need to clear the Bronco spare tire and the jack? Do you have any sway? Squat? I havent started on my hitch yet. I have plans to weld a receiver to the front of the trailer and put the extension on the trailer to take stress off the Bronco. Really looks like it makes the trailer hard to steal as well, because not every douchebag in town has the hitch head required.
Sponsored

dcaero

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Nice build. The only thing keeping me sane during the wait for my Bronco is building out my 6x12 conversion. The questions I have all pertain to how do you like the hitch? How much of an extension did you need to clear the Bronco spare tire and the jack? Do you have any sway? Squat? I havent started on my hitch yet. I have plans to weld a receiver to the front of the trailer and put the extension on the trailer to take stress off the Bronco. Really looks like it makes the trailer hard to steal as well, because not every douchebag in town has the hitch head required.
I did not need any hitch extension to clear the rear tire. Since there is no ball assembly it makes it fit nice and tight in there. Down side is I can no longer see it in the rear camera view but it gives more breakover angle clearance so that's a trade off. I do have an 8" extension for another application and that gives me camera sight. I also removed the jack handle and installed a nut coupling so I can use an electric drill to take it up and down.

Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO Screenshot_20220511-084400_2
Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO IMG_20220510_173806

I have a very tiny amount of sway but it dampens out quickly. I've got the weight distribution as good as I can realistically get it, and that obviously makes the biggest difference. Ball weight is about 280 lb so right between 10-15% of total trailer weight. Squat is maybe an inch or so. I also did some calcs and the trailer will tip over at about 35-40 degrees so feel plenty comfortable with that as well but do have a inclinometer attached to the trailer within sight out the rear view mirror so can keep an eye on the angle.

Last edited:

Draykas

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL rubicon, 2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That looks awesome, and a lot like the kind of trailer I'm looking at.
Have you towed it off pavement yet? If so, how does it do on dirt with the Bronco pulling it? I want to be able to take a trailer similar to that (about 2500 lbs dry) to some camp spots that are some light off road to get to. Like, I could take the minivan to these spots, so not super out of the way. Then, unload the trailer from the Bronco, and go actually offroad without the trailer, come back to the trailer, make dinner, yada yada yada. That kind of stuff.

I have taken it down forest roads and had no issues. plenty of power. FYI I have upgraded to new trailer and will post setup

Draykas

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Upgraded to new trailer so far have taken 300 mile trip get about same MPG (with exception of windy day 20 MPH crosswind) will post updates on 3000 mile trip to Overland Expo trip in Flagstaff. Gives room for dogs and have added rack for generator and fuel to back bumper so can do remote camping. Plan is to weigh complete setup as calculation indicate might be slightly hefty
Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO 20220422_191048
Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO 20220402_105233

Sponsored

TheKim

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Upgraded to new trailer so far have taken 300 mile trip get about same MPG (with exception of windy day 20 MPH crosswind) will post updates on 3000 mile trip to Overland Expo trip in Flagstaff. Gives room for dogs and have added rack for generator and fuel to back bumper so can do remote camping. Plan is to weigh complete setup as calculation indicate might be slightly hefty
20220422_191048.jpg
20220402_105233.jpg
Wait, what's the new trailer though?!
😆

I'm looking at an Enlightened 18BH.

Are you using the factory 7 pin cable or 4 pin? I'm guessing all of these have trailer brakes.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did not need any hitch extension to clear the rear tire. Since there is no ball assembly it makes it fit nice and tight in there. Down side is I can no longer see it in the rear camera view but it gives more breakover angle clearance so that's a trade off. I do have an 8" extension for another application and that gives me camera sight. I also removed the jack handle and installed a nut coupling so I can use an electric drill to take it up and down.

Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO 20220402_105233

I have a very tiny amount of sway but it dampens out quickly. I've got the weight distribution as good as I can realistically get it, and that obviously makes the biggest difference. Ball weight is about 280 lb so right between 10-15% of total trailer weight. Squat is maybe an inch or so. I also did some calcs and the trailer will tip over at about 35-40 degrees so feel plenty comfortable with that as well but do have a inclinometer attached to the trailer within sight out the rear view mirror so can keep an eye on the angle.
I also have a Lock N Roll and it's just perfect for the Bronco, I agree with your assessment. No extension needed, without a ball to lift past you don't need any upward clearance.

Draykas

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wait, what's the new trailer though?!
😆

I'm looking at an Enlightened 18BH.

Are you using the factory 7 pin cable or 4 pin? I'm guessing all of these have trailer brakes.
Trailer is wolf pup 16bhs black label

El Jefe Texas

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm really interested in pulling an overland trailer so thanks for this thread. I've also been looking at the Basecamp, in "X" configuration for improved off-road characteristics. At Bronco's current 3,500 lb. towing capacity the 16-footer makes the most sense. Base trailer weight of 2,650 lbs leaves 850 lbs. useful load - stuff I don't have to carry in Bronco leaving room for the doggies.

However, would really like to tow the 20' if possible - more room for carrying stuff like bicycles, and once parked, a bit more room for several people to move around at the same time. But the 20-footer's empty weight of 3,400 lbs leaves almost no margin for useful load.

16' is not a show-stopper. Getting the Bronco to get outside anyway. But crossing fingers the tow package is a class III that bumps capacity to 4,500-5,000 lbs.

Here is the comparison of 16' and 20' Basecamp specs - https://www.airstream.com/travel-tr...s=basecamp--standard-16,basecamp--standard-20
For someone that doesn't know how these ratios work, I'm reading that the Basecamp 16 is almost the entire capacity the Bronco can pull and that the Basecamp tongue weight exceeds what the Bronco can do.... are you saying a Bronco CAN pull and Airstream 16? What about in the high altitude in Colorado... does that impact things?

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For someone that doesn't know how these ratios work, I'm reading that the Basecamp 16 is almost the entire capacity the Bronco can pull and that the Basecamp tongue weight exceeds what the Bronco can do.... are you saying a Bronco CAN pull and Airstream 16? What about in the high altitude in Colorado... does that impact things?
Bronco will absolutely pull a 16 OR a 20 without issue.
Into a 20 you're pushing somethings many would be uncomfortable with, (I wouldn't) but would indeed be possible.

But the 16 is 0 issue with proper loading.

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Draykas

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Breaking in with 3000 mile trip to overland expo west in flagstaff. Ran across scales trailer came in fuel water tank at 3580. Bronco was slightly over but wow pulls like a dream even on heavy crosswind. Setup working great. Dropped water and some gear didn't make any difference.
Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO 20220516_090628

RunninRiot

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is the camper that has me really interested : https://travelliterv.com/rvs/2021-rove-lite-travel-trailers/

I haven't seen in person yet, but they are in stock locally. Going to try to take a look at them in the next couple of days.
I've looked at these. The problem is the 5gal black tank. That'll get you 2 days off grid and then you're back to pooping in the woods. With a name like Rove Lite it's bizarre that it's a RV site only camper. Another option is a Free Solo but I've read nothing but bad things about them. So far the best bets are R-Pods. Here is what I am looking at for a Badlands:

Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO 1652913871294

With a non-Badlands you could go up to 2,750lbs dry. The R-Pods have gotten slightly heavier each year, hence why my targets stop at 2018. I looked at a "2,650lb" 179 but the actual weight sticker was 2,925 when I showed up and Camping World wouldn't sell it to me. I'm at altitude so sticking to the recommended 80% of total allowable tow weight is my goal. 2% power loss for every 1,000 ft adds up at 11,000 ft.

Draykas

Badlands
First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've looked at these. The problem is the 5gal black tank. That'll get you 2 days off grid and then you're back to pooping in the woods. With a name like Rove Lite it's bizarre that it's a RV site only camper. Another option is a Free Solo but I've read nothing but bad things about them. So far the best bets are R-Pods. Here is what I am looking at for a Badlands:

Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO 1652913871294

With a non-Badlands you could go up to 2,750lbs dry. The R-Pods have gotten slightly heavier each year, hence why my targets stop at 2018. I looked at a "2,650lb" 179 but the actual weight sticker was 2,925 when I showed up and Camping World wouldn't sell it to me. I'm at altitude so sticking to the recommended 80% of total allowable tow weight is my goal. 2% power loss for every 1,000 ft adds up at 11,000 ft.
I think you would be surprised no mm issusend surprised at how well 4vdr badlands performs towing max weight thru mountains. Driving thru right now and have to b slow down for rest of group climbing hills. 8.1 mpg avg so far this trip towing max load. Yes ibid put on scale. I did drop thecwaterbfrom tanks to get weight down and it drives very stable non-issue. Drove across Oklahoma MN a with high crosswinds.
Ford Bronco Lightweight Overlanding Camper/trailers ideal for BRONCO 20220516_092432
Sponsored