Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is this how the Bronco with the 2.3 EcoBoost will be oil changed? This is a Ford Ranger, however, its the same engine found on the Bronco as well.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Will probably be similar but who knows.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
well, that looks like a PITA. like, really, a PITA. even my diesel is easier than that.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My oil will be changed by the dealer. Every time.

Because if they're anything like Toyota, the local dealers will all continue to send me coupons for years making it cheaper than I could do it for myself. Plus, free coffee and I can walk around looking at new cars the whole time.

EvlNvrDys

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'84 Bronco, '93 Bronco, '94 Bronco, 2012 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oh God I hope it isn't the same. I agree... major PITA.

I may hate the wife's JK, but I will admit, I love changing the oil. Couldn't be any simpler.

Sponsored

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Yeah if I'm getting a brand new Bronco, I'm getting the extended service plan. I am perfectly capable of doing my own service but I have little to no interest in it. Plenty of other things to do, like fix all my super old stuff that isn't worth taking to a shop.

SeaBee

Outer Banks
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The F150 with the 2.7 litre is a lot easier to change, oil filter cartridge on top - easy and no mess but 3 0 rings so Ford really being certain no leaks - my GTI has the same top filter filter set up with just 2 0 rings. Same for the oil sump, plastic like my GTI and a twist and turn oil sump drain plug - easy peasy. Plastic is a bit worrying but is heavily webbed and strong plus skid plate protected. Anything to save weight and better fuel economy for the CAFE standards.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Having done 3 oil changes on a 2019 Ranger, i'll just chime in that the guy in the video must be TRYING to have that be more difficult than necessary.

Some notes:
  • You can do a full oil change on the Ranger in under 10 minutes, including beer breaks during drain and fill.
  • You don't need to remove the shield under the truck to drain the pan.
  • He has the wrong type of oil filter wrench for the job, those metal hoop-wrenches are garbage, ESPECIALLY at a 90 degree angle
  • A proper rubber strap wrench would have had that filter off in 3 seconds
  • Replacing the plastic trim screw type clips with push clips will also save time/frustration
Even my GF changed the oil in the Ranger in under 10 minutes, and it was the first time she ever changed oil. And yes, she missed the collection pan entirely and drained 5 quarts of oil on her garage floor and was upset with herself. Live and learn!

OP
OP

aabsalon

Badlands
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having done 3 oil changes on a 2019 Ranger, i'll just chime in that the guy in the video must be TRYING to have that be more difficult than necessary.

Some notes:
  • You can do a full oil change on the Ranger in under 10 minutes, including beer breaks during drain and fill.
  • You don't need to remove the shield under the truck to drain the pan.
  • He has the wrong type of oil filter wrench for the job, those metal hoop-wrenches are garbage, ESPECIALLY at a 90 degree angle
  • A proper rubber strap wrench would have had that filter off in 3 seconds
  • Replacing the plastic trim screw type clips with push clips will also save time/frustration
Even my GF changed the oil in the Ranger in under 10 minutes, and it was the first time she ever changed oil. And yes, she missed the collection pan entirely and drained 5 quarts of oil on her garage floor and was upset with herself. Live and learn!
What about using an oil pump to pull the old oil out so that you dont have to go underneath to drain the oil?

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
What about using an oil pump to pull the old oil out so that you dont have to go underneath to drain the oil?
A petcock valve would be easier. Fumoto has a valve for just such a thing. Personally I wouldn't run one of these because it introduces so many failure modes to a system.

It's highly unlikely that you can siphon out oil through the fill location. There isn't a direct line down to the pan.

Fumoto engine drain valve

Sponsored

Sighlense

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - 2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oughta be hella fun with a bash plate in the way.

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Skid plates on BD and BL will suck!!!

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
Skid plates on BD and BL will suck!!!

That was my first thought also. I'm already thinking of ways to make an extension for the drain port or cut a hole in the skid plate...

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My advice to the guy in the video is (a) buy a nice electric impact gun, (b) decide on which brand filter he will use and buy a cap wrench for it, (c) use a 3/8ths ratchet and long extension bar to spin the filter off, (d) learn how to use tools correctly.
Sponsored