Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger redeye
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I have the same metal popping sound as well. Def the tailgate hinges, or tailgate itself. Mine started around 2000K miles. Driving me nuts. Sounds like popping pinch welds.
I still have this sound and I have taken my car to the dealer and they said they fixed it by insulating the funnel in the trunk. Which that was a lie, now Iā€™m waiting on the hammer brace to see what that does.
Sponsored

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I still have this sound and I have taken my car to the dealer and they said they fixed it by insulating the funnel in the trunk. Which that was a lie, now Iā€™m waiting on the hammer brace to see what that does.
I ordered the RC Tailgate brace. Hopefully that corrects this problem.

Geo2

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Update. I took my Bronco to the dealership. They removed the tire and replaced the tire mounting bracket and the "rattle-click-pop sound" was still presenting. Ford has advised to replace the tailgate. I have since been waiting 3+ weeks for the replacement tailgate to be delivered....and the sound is unbearably worse. I am so disappointed @Ford Motor Company that I have had to endure this for 2+ months now.

slohatch

First Edition
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger redeye
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Update. I took my Bronco to the dealership. They removed the tire and replaced the tire mounting bracket and the "rattle-click-pop sound" was still presenting. Ford has advised to replace the tailgate. I have since been waiting 3+ weeks for the replacement tailgate to be delivered....and the sound is unbearably worse. I am so disappointed @Ford Motor Company that I have had to endure this for 2+ months now.
I hope when they paint it that you canā€™t tell the difference. I work at a dealer and you can almost always tell when a car has been painted.

Hbrichman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Figured Iā€™d give an update on my situation. Took about 2 months, but the tailgate was successfully replaced and paint matched perfectly. Unfortunately, after about 3-400 miles the tapping/popping sound on the new tailgate began yet again. Thereā€™s no exterior damage that I can find and itā€™s not nearly as bad as the first time. As others have stated, sounds like itā€™s coming from inside of the tailgate itself. I donā€™t feel like going through this entire ordeal again, so probably just going to live with it for the time being in hopes that Ford might eventually come up with a fix although Iā€™m not holding my breath. Tapping/popping aside, still loving everything about my Bronco!

Sponsored

Saltlife4shore

Big Bend
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I installed the Rough Country tailgate reinforcement. Got about 400 miles in it and no more popping noises. Hopefully it don't come back.

Note to others. Get some ppf film to apply to the talgate in the area of the tire mounting location. Unless you want the bare metal pressed against your paint. I also needed to buy larger washers. The ones supplied we're only about 1mm larger in diameter then the hole they were sitting on. I also use blue loctite on all the bolts. I wish I could have just found the same style factory bolt, just longer.

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Figured Iā€™d give an update on my situation. Took about 2 months, but the tailgate was successfully replaced and paint matched perfectly. Unfortunately, after about 3-400 miles the tapping/popping sound on the new tailgate began yet again. Thereā€™s no exterior damage that I can find and itā€™s not nearly as bad as the first time. As others have stated, sounds like itā€™s coming from inside of the tailgate itself. I donā€™t feel like going through this entire ordeal again, so probably just going to live with it for the time being in hopes that Ford might eventually come up with a fix although Iā€™m not holding my breath. Tapping/popping aside, still loving everything about my Bronco!
Sounds like a lot people are having tailgate problems. Under engineered just like the window rattling when partially down. How about the window indexing? You would think that Ford would be able to do doors and windows by now. Not a big confidents builder. This is definitely a vehicle of compromise.

slohatch

First Edition
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger redeye
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So I have had this brace by hammer built installed for 2 weeks now and I will say 95 percent of the noise is gone. I cannot even say the noise I hear is from the tailgate as the noise is so infrequent. I love this brace.

A572D1C5-558B-4EF4-8143-58E45E0EE8E2.jpeg

1633A62E-E300-47B9-846A-7595D4A3A3F9.jpeg

22E71DE7-95CB-44D2-B0DA-867D9B5D2E8E.jpeg

Patriotic

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Wildtrak; ā€˜23 Porsche 992T; ā€˜20 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a rattle when I hit larger bumps. I had my son drive around while I rode in the back and I pinpointed it coming from the tailgate area. I tried opening the plastic latch cover to look inside, nothing there.
I then just sprayed some WD-40 on the latch and the strikers, took it for a drive and it went away!

Rattle free..... for now my OCD is held at bay. :)
Has the noise returned?

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So I have had this brace by hammer built installed for 2 weeks now and I will say 95 percent of the noise is gone. I cannot even say the noise I hear is from the tailgate as the noise is so infrequent. I love this brace.

Ford Bronco Gnarly tailgate rattle 22E71DE7-95CB-44D2-B0DA-867D9B5D2E8E

I ordered the exact same setup you have from hammerbuilt last week. Canā€™t wait to get it

Sponsored

MJ21Hog

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I had a rattle when I hit larger bumps. I had my son drive around while I rode in the back and I pinpointed it coming from the tailgate area. I tried opening the plastic latch cover to look inside, nothing there.
I then just sprayed some WD-40 on the latch and the strikers, took it for a drive and it went away!

Rattle free..... for now my OCD is held at bay. :)
I re-applied after about a month, but it worked again. Might try white lithium next time.

Patriotic

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Reporting what worked for me in hopes it will help others:

1. I developed the same rattle as in the short videos posted on this thread. Noticed mine 2-3 weeks ago, at about 500 miles.

2. After reading another thread on B6G (but not this one) regarding a rattle from the cargo area, I applied GummiPflege to all window and seals in the rear. This didn't resolve the issue.

3. Rode in the rear seats yesterday morning and I isolated the sound as coming from inside the tailgate as others here observed.

4. On advice of a poster to this thread, I removed the rectangular black accessory cover from the tailgate and really doused (bathed) the 2-3 bolts that I could see with WD-40 Spray Lithium Grease. Test drove it again and the noise was better (i.e. less frequent) but still there. Figured I was on to something.

5. Found and read all 13 pages of this thread. I removed the accessory cover again and doused the lower bolt towards the driver side latch that I had missed on the first pass. (Tip: Use flashlight to see this and all other bolts to make sure you don't miss any).

6. At the same time, on the advice of another poster to this thread, I doused the latch mechanism on the tailgate and the slider on the body.

7. Test drove again and the rattle/tick-tick sound is completely gone.

Not sure what actually resolved my issue or whether it was a combination of all these things but I hope this helps others.

BradW

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 1933 Ford 5w Coupe
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

not the rubber gasket video. This one:

I am having this exact same sound although not as bad yet. Started about 200-300 miles ago and has progressively gotten worse.

luptanpitman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco, ā€˜21 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am having this exact same sound although not as bad yet. Started about 200-300 miles ago and has progressively gotten worse.
Mine was a pretty specific spot in tailgate and ultimately the replaced.

Patriotic

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thankfully my noise hasnā€™t returned since my above post on Sunday.
Sponsored