Bronc-OH

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep XK, Jeep WJ
Your Bronco Model
Base
And yet our GC trailhawk w/ air suspension, higher tow rating, thinner sidewalls and small tires can go 90% of places anyone with a bronco will be going.
This right here....

I'm comparing these low ratings to my unibody 06 jeep commander... Solid rear, independent front, 5.7 (Less power than the ttv6 mind you) and its good for 7200ibs.(yes with bars and controller, safety first)... I don't think the lack of a rear sway bar accounts for that much of a rating drop.
Sponsored

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's the way I'm seeing it as well.

All of these comments.... "You should just buy a truck or some other vehicle to tow with." ... well... maybe they should just go and buy a Side-By-Side to 4 wheel, sense they "apparently" already have a Truck to Tow with.

I can't help to sit back and think.... how would someone get a Dully with a fully loaded trailer weighing in at 5000 lbs. up and though some of the off-road trails that the Dully (or other Full Size Truck) are just to big to go through even without a trailer????
Simple. I don't NEED a 5000 lb trailer to go camping... The Bronco is for off-roading. I don't get why you have such a problem with this.

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I voted 3500 because the most towing I will do would be an overloaded utility trailer. However, I do have a tendency to have the Pontiac Vibe/Monte Carlo/Crown Vic pull cut down trees about the yard so that I can get rid of them.

OP
OP
The Pope

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Simple. I don't NEED a 5000 lb trailer to go camping... The Bronco is for off-roading. I don't get why you have such a problem with this.
You don't have to "get" why I have such a problem with this.

My needs are My Needs and those Needs Don't Have To Be The Same As Someone Else's Needs.

I "could" say that you don't Need a Bronco and that a Side-By-Side would be sufficient, but I'm not. If you feel that the Bronco will fit Your Need for and Off-Road Vehicle, I'm perfectly fine with you getting what You feel that You Need.

I don't get why others are trying to tell me what I Need. They are not me and they don't know what I need.

So.... Respectfully... everyone PLEASE keep their Opinion about what SOMEONE ELSE NEEDS or DOESN'T NEED to yourself unless you are asked.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a vehicle that's actually made for towing, rather than compromising my offroaders ability to ya know, off road. Would I have been happy if it could tow a boat? Absolutely. But I can't run two sleds on the roof, so I'll still have my truck and sled deck regardless of what the Bronco can tow. 3500 is fine, and matches the competition.

I still think it will be 5000 lbs behind the bronco will be doable in the near future anyway.

Sponsored

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't have to "get" why I have such a problem with this.

My needs are My Needs and those Needs Don't Have To Be The Same As Someone Else's Needs.

I "could" say that you don't Need a Bronco and that a Side-By-Side would be sufficient, but I'm not. If you feel that the Bronco will fit Your Need for and Off-Road Vehicle, I'm perfectly fine with you getting what You feel that You Need.

I don't get why others are trying to tell me what I Need. They are not me and they don't know what I need.

So.... Respectfully... everyone PLEASE keep their Opinion about what SOMEONE ELSE NEEDS or DOESN'T NEED to yourself unless you are asked.
Ford is going after Jeep. Your needs don't matter to Ford. I'm sorry your poor and can't afford two vehicles. If you don't want others responding to you, don't post here.

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I voted 5000. I don't need it but I would like it. It certainly won't keep me from buying the Bronco if 3500 is the max. It would give me more flexibility on a camper/trailer that I could pull if it were higher.

Mopar2Bronco2021

Base
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Dodge Charger RT 5.7L
Your Bronco Model
Base
Even 4000lbs would’ve been much nicer when considering small campers at 2800-3000 lbs dry weight. With that torque number, I’m surprised they don’t offer a more capable tow package.

It has to be something more than the suspension holding it back or else I’m sure Ford would’ve offered an alternative way to increase tow capacity. I’m no expert by any means on tow capacity design but man 400 lb-ft of torque and 3500 lbs max is borderline absurd.

Edit: I forgot the hitch receiver was Class 2 and rated at 3500 lbs so I guess this is the limiting factor. Does anyone know if it can be safely replaced with a Class 3 aftermarket? If so, has Ford released the GVWR or GCWR?

Last edited:

jtzako

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Xterra Pro4x
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Tow ratings tend to be very conservative in the US (identical cars over in EU/UK often are rated higher) but it does seem odd the 4door has a low rating. Longer wheelbase usually means higher tow rating. The bronco is probably limited by its suspension for some reason since the rest of it should be capable of more.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Why doesn't my Wildtrack tow a goose neck trailer weighting 12000 while I am doing Baja 10000?!?!
That is nowhere close to what most people on here are asking for. Pretending it is is not advancing the conversation in any useful way.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Why doesn't my Wildtrack tow a goose neck trailer weighting 12000 while I am doing Baja 10000?!?!
I can’t believe a base bronco can’t rock crawl it’s way up the side of Mount Everest, is it even off road capable if it can’t?

That’s about how you sound. Nobody’s asking for 12k, because yea that’s ridiculous. A 1500lb increase from what it currently is, at least in some variation, would satisfy most that care about towing. Wrangler has 1500lb increase just from 2 to 4 dr without any changes except wheelbase. Gladiator has 3-4K differences in towing based on various trims and options. Bronco has 6 trims(7 with first edition) and likely plenty of package options, 1 trim level or 1 package available on multiple trims that adds 1500lbs would be enough. Not asking to triple or even double what it’s already rated at.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can’t believe a base bronco can’t rock crawl it’s way up the side of Mount Everest, is it even off road capable if it can’t?

That’s about how you sound. Nobody’s asking for 12k, because yea that’s ridiculous. A 1500lb increase from what it currently is, at least in some variation, would satisfy most that care about towing. Wrangler has 1500lb increase just from 2 to 4 dr without any changes except wheelbase. Gladiator has 3-4K differences in towing based on various trims and options. Bronco has 6 trims(7 with first edition) and likely plenty of package options, 1 trim level or 1 package available on multiple trims that adds 1500lbs would be enough. Not asking to triple or even double what it’s already rated at.
After taking my camper through the Baja 10000 I was planning to take it up Mt. Kilamanjaro, so the Bronco needs to be able to have 12,000 towing and the off-road capabilities to climb up that one. I'll tackle Mt. Everest after I fit it with the appropriate oxygen requirements for climbing that high. I'm just upset it doesn't already come that way from the factory.

Cookieck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camaro SS, Indian Chief Vintage, Yamaha Fz1, Honda Shadow, etc
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After taking my camper through the Baja 10000 I was planning to take it up Mt. Kilamanjaro, so the Bronco needs to be able to have 12,000 towing and the off-road capabilities to climb up that one. I'll tackle Mt. Everest after I fit it with the appropriate oxygen requirements for climbing that high. I'm just upset it doesn't already come that way from the factory.
And lemme guess you’re also miffed about the lack of a factory snorkel so you can drive it across the ocean floor.

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And lemme guess you’re also miffed about the lack of a factory snorkel so you can drive it across the ocean floor.
I fully expect a snorkel to be one of the 200 accessories from the factory. So we're good there.
Sponsored