Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hello,
Im new to the industry, do the ford rock rails serve and do the same purpose as something like N-fab Rock sliders?
Are they the same?
Please help
Sponsored

babraunagel

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Rock rails and rock sliders are different names for the same thing. Generally rock rails are attached to the frame of an off-road vehicle, however Ford has installed the Bronco rails at the pinch weld and state that it can support the entire weight of the vehicle should it get hung up on a boulder.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
It depends. The stock rock rails tuck close to the body and work well for some use cases. Some aftermarket units are both wider (to provide some use as a step) and a little deeper providing a little more help from rocks, but also cutting into the ground clearance a little bit.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think hard core rock crawlers will prefer frame mounted options, but so far my factory rails have done a great job of protecting the rocker panels and acting as a pivot on rocks and stumps (within reason). Note- I am in an area dominated by sand and our exposure to rocks is not nearly as extreme as other terrain.

Reactions: LCW

Murph56789

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos/F350s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The ford rock rails will only last so long with actual rock crawling. If you doubt you’ll drag the sliders or only do it occasionally, they’ll probably hold up. But being they’re only attached to the pinch weld there’s no way they will not deform that sheet metal over time. I switched to frame mounted rock sliders because I want to be able to drag the whole weight of the bronco across them repeatedly over time.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a surprisingly passionate subject for some people.

I've seen the claim that the OEM sliders are boron steel like the roll bar. I modified mine and they cut pretty easily, so I have doubts about that.

The biggest downfall IMO for OEM is no outer rail. You'll still see rocker or door damage if you drop on a rock at the right angle. I added my own outer rail and they've been taking a beating since.

Last edited:

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Oem rocker protection will get you by, but if you want to feel confident not tearing up your bronco off-road get some real rock sliders. Here’s Lod signature sliders I haven’t bounced them off any rocks yet but I’m confident when I do they will do their job.
Ford Bronco Ford rock rails vs. Rock Sliders C64014A1-36DF-48DE-AA9D-56C3DEBE2744

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hate seeing people say that the OEM rails attach to the pinch weld because it’s just not true. While they certainly have some brackets on the pinch weld the main support goes 4-6 inches up behind the pinch weld and anchors deep into the body. It still isn’t frame mounted but it’s a lot more than putting all the weight on a pinch weld.

OP
OP
Basssquatch

Basssquatch

Base
First Name
Felipe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is a surprisingly passionate subject for some people.

I've seen the claim that the OEM sliders are boron steel like the roll bar. I modified mine and they cut pretty easily, so I have doubts about that.

The biggest downfall IMO for OEM is no outer rail. You'll still see rocker or door damage if you drop on a rock at the right angle. I added my own outer rail and they've been taking a beating since.
Did you add an outer rail to the ford OEM rock rails? If so would you mind posting a picture? thank you

Reactions: LCW

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you add an outer rail to the ford OEM rock rails? If so would you mind posting a picture? thank you
Yes. There are more pics in the link in my signature.

PXL_20220515_192208109 (1).jpg

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How is the bestop softop compared to factory soft top? is it quieter?
I haven't rode in a factory soft top that wasn't open so I can't compare.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Murph56789

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Broncos/F350s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I hate seeing people say that the OEM rails attach to the pinch weld because it’s just not true. While they certainly have some brackets on the pinch weld the main support goes 4-6 inches up behind the pinch weld and anchors deep into the body. It still isn’t frame mounted but it’s a lot more than putting all the weight on a pinch weld.
It’s still just sheet metal on the body. I even saw frame mounted sliders bend up into the rocker after enough time on large rocks (80s bronco). The stock sliders will be fine for most people but watch over time as people that do serious rock crawling will fatigue the mounts and bend it into the body.
Sponsored