Sponsored

UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening!

GoldenKnight

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Malibu
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not once, on any of my vehicles, 40 years changing my own oil, has my oil looked dirty or turned black just a few miles after changing it.
Just curious, have you frequently drained and checked the color of your oil 2 miles after changing it?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not once, on any of my vehicles, 40 years changing my own oil, has my oil looked dirty or turned black just a few miles after changing it.
Just sent the pics to the Service manager….
As it turn out they completely and utterly agree with your assessment….

I told them they did not torque the lug nuts evenly and or to 100 ft lb Ford spec….

I told them I am not interested In taking my car back there and that my second Bronco (just received my VIN number) will not be serviced there either….

I just wanted to document that this happened and that your tech should not be telling customers that the oil level should be about a quart past the Max Fill hole…(into the twist on the dip stick)
When specifically the Ford owners manual says not to fill past the max fill mark … that engine damage will occur….

Anyway, they told me they would check with Ford and get to the bottom of the 7 quart capacity overfilling the transmission issue….

So hopefully something GOOD will come out of this!!!

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! 74755382-7F5C-498A-B20D-8BEAD27871FE

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As has been pointed out separately, there are LOTS of things that contribute to dark oil right after an oil change, especially in modern cars. DI engines get buildup faster than port injected or carbureted engines, modern additives darken oil, which is perfectly normal, and there's always a little oil left in the engine when doing a change. Service shops can't let oil drain as long as some of us do while we run in and get a beer or something. They're turning cars to turn a profit. Another thing we haven't see or heard from the OP is how long the engine was running, even if it was only driven 2 miles, as stated.
The point still stands that the only way to truly know is if he sends the oil out for analysis. What likely happened is a little more than the trace amount normally left in the engine was present because it was a busy day at the shop, the oil change was completed and 7 qts added, since it was higher than when the OP dropped it off, and all of the above mentioned factors contributed to the color of the oil, which by itself, doesn't 100% mean anything.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just curious, have you frequently drained and checked the color of your oil 2 miles after changing it?
No, nobody does that. But what I do, is I frequently pop the hood, at least once a week, and inspect hoses, air filter, nuts and bolts for tightness, oil level, brake fluid level, check lug nuts for loosening etc. Especially new vehicles as things start to wear and get broken in.

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just sent the pics to the Service manager….
As it turn out they completely and utterly agree with your assessment….

I told them they did not torque the lug nuts evenly and or to 100 ft lb Ford spec….

I told them I am not interested In taking my car back there and that my second Bronco (just received my VIN number) will not be serviced there either….

I just wanted to document that this happened and that your tech should not be telling customers that the oil level should be about a quart past the Max Fill hole…(into the twist on the dip stick)
When specifically the Ford owners manual says not to fill past the max fill mark … that engine damage will occur….

Anyway, they told me they would check with Ford and get to the bottom of the 7 quart capacity overfilling the transmission issue….

So hopefully something GOOD will come out of this!!!

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! 74755382-7F5C-498A-B20D-8BEAD27871FE
But the Bronco does take 7. Did you read through the other posts where it has been confirmed and Ford is working on the dipstick issue...?

Sponsored

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As has been pointed out separately, there are LOTS of things that contribute to dark oil right after an oil change, especially in modern cars. DI engines get buildup faster than port injected or carbureted engines, modern additives darken oil, which is perfectly normal, and there's always a little oil left in the engine when doing a change. Service shops can't let oil drain as long as some of us do while we run in and get a beer or something. They're turning cars to turn a profit. Another thing we haven't see or heard from the OP is how long the engine was running, even if it was only driven 2 miles, as stated.
The point still stands that the only way to truly know is if he sends the oil out for analysis. What likely happened is a little more than the trace amount normally left in the engine was present because it was a busy day at the shop, the oil change was completed and 7 qts added, since it was higher than when the OP dropped it off, and all of the above mentioned factors contributed to the color of the oil, which by itself, doesn't 100% mean anything.
I'll bet my bottom dollar that what likely happened is the tech got busy doing something else and "thought" he changed the oil. I have never seen oil that contaminated and black in a few miles especially from a new engine and probably synthetic oil!

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, nobody does that. But what I do, is I frequently pop the hood, at least once a week, and inspect hoses, air filter, nuts and bolts for tightness, oil level, brake fluid level, check lug nuts for loosening etc. Especially new vehicles as things start to wear and get broken in.
.... then how do you know. You've said you've never seen it, but then said you've never done the thing described.

Jrod0486

Black Diamond
First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll bet my bottom dollar that what likely happened is the tech got busy doing something else and "thought" he changed the oil. I have never seen oil that contaminated and black in a few miles especially from a new engine and probably synthetic oil!
How did the extra .6 qts show up then? And, as you've said, you haven't done the oil change like this right after. Also, modern additives darken fresh oil a lot after running for a short amount of time.

RoLyMa27

Badlands
First Name
Rodney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 22 Maverick
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
.... then how do you know. You've said you've never seen it, but then said you've never done the thing described.
Dude, you don't have to drain the oil, all you have to do is pull the dip stick out and look at it to see if the oil is black or not! Edit: This is the dipstick from my Bronco, 2.3 7M after 4,500 miles. 6,900 total vehicle miles.
PXL_20220531_122213016.MP.jpg
It has Motorcraft 5W 30 synthetic blend. Notice how it is turning brown, but still not black after almost 5k miles. This is normal.
This second picture is from our new Maverick, picked it up Saturday, it has a total of 118 miles.
PXL_20220531_195557371.jpg

EDIT TO THE EDIT: If your oil out of a new vehicle looks like this after driving home a few miles, your engine has issues!
Screenshot_20220531-151116.png

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lake Tahoe Traveler

Lake Tahoe Traveler

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2dr BL SASQ, & 1975 Bronco Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

But the Bronco does take 7. Did you read through the other posts where it has been confirmed and Ford is working on the dipstick issue...?
Yes I have…. 7 quarts reads above the max fill line… (at least for me it does) and 7 quarts is in the capacity literature page 406-7 in the owners manual.

However until I hear back from Ford via this dealership and or get the new correct dip stick…. I will NOT go against there owners manual saying NOT to fill above the “MaxFill” hole….

Most importantly, this is a dealer-Ford- officially lodged complaint that is documented and will be followed up on….

So when or if something bad happens from this “overfill” 7 quart situation, it has been officially logged and documented….
Thus will force Ford to take an official position for all Bronco owners to benefit from.

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! 1ABCB749-9B71-4604-9938-491F0A21D7DA

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! 57D71C4A-D24E-4C1A-976F-A5D36AA2E867

Ford Bronco UPDATE FORD DIRECTIVE ON 7QUARTS FILL. Dealership Service fiasco! Ford If You're Listening! D77B2241-C3E2-40AF-9022-F71AD9C300FD

Last edited:

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The oil in my daughter's 2007 JK doesn't even look like that, just checked it last night. It's got 4k on the oil and 197k on the engine. When I changed the oil in our 2.7l Badlands last week at 3k miles for the first time it wasn't that black.

2.3BigBend

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Work Beater
Your Bronco Model
Base
If you asked me if the oil in the pic had A.) 2 miles or B.) 4,600 miles, I would be more inclined to go with A as my answer. While it does look "black", it doesn't look like 4,600 mile oil in the pics. I would be more inclined to think the tech might have rushed the oil change, especially if your Bronco wasn't up to normal temp when he changed it. The 2.7 takes a few minutes for the oil to drain into the pan. So if there was say, 1/2 a qt of old oil, it would easily turn the new oil black in a matter of minutes.
Sponsored