First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is my nightmare since 90% of my off road trips are solo / with my copilot. Solo off roading is necessary when your friends aren’t into getting lost every weekend. This is just another reason I’ll be keeping the Bronco local and taking the 4Runner on the long distance explorations.

Sorry to hear this OP, hopefully it’ll be a fairly simple trail fix in the morning. I couldn’t fathom leaving a 50k+ vehicle alone on the trails over night. Best of luck!! Following your story.
I couldn't fathom leaving any vehicle parked anywhere in LA, Chicago, Portland, Seattle, better to be on the trail. That said Broncos certainly are not the only vehicle to get stranded on rough trails, and the reason it is recommend to not wheel alone with any vehicle.
Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You just drop the tank and pull the basket out then swap pumps. Worst part is your not in a clean environment. I’ve changed and swapped many fuel pumps it’s not hard. You’ll smell like gas after that’s about it.
I can't imagine doing that trailside with a Bronco. The OP said he was at 3/4 tank approx 15 gallons at 6lbs/gal is 90lbs plus the weight of the tank. Probably need the fuel line disconnect tool.
7c5e0bf8-6e76-48a1-afac-d1c596b9dea8-jpeg.jpg

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I can't imagine doing that trailside with a Bronco. The OP said he was at 3/4 tank approx 15 gallons at 6lbs/gal is 90lbs plus the weight of the tank. Probably need the fuel line disconnect tool.
Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 7c5e0bf8-6e76-48a1-afac-d1c596b9dea8-jpe
Who will be the first to pre-emptively cut an access hole in the body?

Jimmiee

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I couldn't fathom leaving any vehicle parked anywhere in LA, Chicago, Portland, Seattle, better to be on the trail. That said Broncos certainly are not the only vehicle to get stranded on rough trails, and the reason it is recommend to not wheel alone with any vehicle.
I agree 100% Never go alone. I have broken down only once when I couldn't fix my rig and I was towed home by a club member. Our club never left a vehicle on the trail overnight. We always towed the broken rig out. I can remember one time an FJ-40 broke his transmission and we towed him out of the Rubicon Trail to Lake Tahoe. We towed a jeep out of the Fordyce Creek trail once back in the 80's. I once blew up my transfer case on the Fordyce Trail! That was scary. Lucky for me, Marlin Crawler was there on this trip and he helped me replace my T-Case on the trail. I was very lucky that day!

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is there a rollover switch like on the old rangers? I recall needed to reset that switch on several occasions in my 1988 ranger....lol. it could be triggered by steep angles?
There's not a physical inertia switch any more but there is some impact detection in the restraints module that can kill the fuel pump after a hard impact. I think it would take a really hard knock to trigger it and also I would expect it to show a message on the cluster saying it was activated.

You just drop the tank and pull the basket out then swap pumps. Worst part is your not in a clean environment. I’ve changed and swapped many fuel pumps it’s not hard. You’ll smell like gas after that’s about it.
The tank is 4+ feet long and the skid plate alone is 50+ pounds so with 3/4 tank of fuel that is a tricky thing to do when not on level concrete. Also, the wiring and fuel lines aren't long enough to just let it drop to the ground so you have to partially drop it in a somewhat controlled manner.

You could cut line with tubing cutter and splice a rotary hp pu.p in line ,I would this before I drug it out. Maybe try a squirter of starting fluid to see if its fuel related failure.
This system doesn't have a return line so fuel pressure is regulated at the fuel pump itself. Old tricks might not apply to these newer vehicles.

Sponsored

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Man that is tough, like most have said, if it is the fuel pump, not a bad job to do, BUT with 3/4 tank of gas and a incline, this isn't an ideal situation, and makes for a even more fun of a job.

Is there not a fuel filter on these Broncos? If so, this would usually be the spot to disconnect, run the open end into a fuel can and turn the ignition on to see if the fuel pump primes.

Seeing this makes me think about making an access panel in the floor to get easy access to the pump housing for times like this. It's a thought!

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 7c5e0bf8-6e76-48a1-afac-d1c596b9dea8-jpe
Couldn't you just get 3 - 5 gallon gas cans from the store then drain it in there- once complete just pour it back in?

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Couldn't you just get 3 - 5 gallon gas cans from the store then drain it in there- once complete just pour it back in?
Drain it how? There isn't a drain on the bottom of the tank. I don't see too many rigs carrying 3-4 empty 5-gallon cans on the trail.
Not saying it can't be done. I am saying it would be a big fix to do on the trail. More than your typical basic tool kit.

The best option would be to prep in advance and cut in an access door through the floor. Take it out through the top.

Sponsored

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you attended a Bronco Off-Roadeo? They highly recommend you do not use TTA unless it’s necessary or you’ll erode the trail for others. If you can manage a 3 point turn, that is preferable.
That is weird. I did not attend any of the Off-Rodeos, but I did attend a Ford sponsored event at one of the local state off-road vehicle parks and they specifically had us use TTR a few times during the ride I was on.

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Who will be the first to pre-emptively cut an access hole in the body?
Shoot, great minds think alike! I see how Infiniti did it on my QX, wouldn't be hard to make like sample. I will be looking into doing something like this when mine arrives.

Matsterious

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Drain it how? There isn't a drain on the bottom of the tank. I don't see too many rigs carrying 3-4 empty 5-gallon cans on the trail.
Not saying it can't be done. I am saying it would be a big fix to do on the trail. More than your typical basic tool kit.

The best option would be to prep in advance and cut in an access door through the floor. Take it out through the top.
You don't normally carry those cans but if you go back to do a trail fix you could be prepared and take the tools and equipment needed.

And you can syphon it out or drain it from a fuel line.

But yes if you don't mind making an access door then that would probably be the easiest fix.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have an idea. You’ll need $50,000 and a lot of batteries. :LOL:

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] 1654105827303

Best of luck getting your Bronco home. (y)

Frankie945

Base
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Q50
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If I knew 100% it was the fuel pump in the tank I could do it on the trail. I’ve replaced broken ujoints in drive shafts, stub shafts and rear axle shafts all on the trail I could totally handle a fuel pump. Just would need another set of hands to help get it down and back up.

Like others mentioned it’s best to just get it off the trail and back home or to a shop. Unless you got time and strong nerves. I’m surprised the guy with him didn’t try and tow him out. Two weeks ago I was overlanding at LBL and left early due to a storm coming my best friend didn’t want to leave so he stayed. I got a call at 10pm that night telling me he was stranded because his H2 went into limp mode. I drove 3 hours back to LBL with a scanner I rented at auto zone to try and figure out what the deal was and clear the code to get it out of limp mode. It didn’t work limp mode wouldn’t go away. I ended up towing him to the trail head. He didn’t want to pay $1000 for a tow home so he went back the next day with a throttle body because that’s what code was showing up. It didn’t work either so I called my local buddy that just started a tow business and he took care of him for 900 bucks. 7 hour total trip for him. Off-roading can be very stressful and expensive when things go wrong. I really do hope this guy gets his bronco off the trails safely and a timely manner. I’ve been there many times I know how he feels.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: