First Name
Good Try FBI
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is weird. I did not attend any of the Off-Rodeos, but I did attend a Ford sponsored event at one of the local state off-road vehicle parks and they specifically had us use TTR a few times during the ride I was on.
The off-roadeo I went to stated that it’s fine and fun to use in like the sands or areas where it’s basically like a donut mode. But they showed us how using it creates massive divits in the ground and quickly destroys a trail.

Their concern was that if Broncos go through and tear up the trail, the organization that maintains the trails will just permanently close them. Not the DNR but some other organization.
Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's not a physical inertia switch any more but there is some impact detection in the restraints module that can kill the fuel pump after a hard impact. I think it would take a really hard knock to trigger it and also I would expect it to show a message on the cluster saying it was activated.

The tank is 4+ feet long and the skid plate alone is 50+ pounds so with 3/4 tank of fuel that is a tricky thing to do when not on level concrete. Also, the wiring and fuel lines aren't long enough to just let it drop to the ground so you have to partially drop it in a somewhat controlled manner.

This system doesn't have a return line so fuel pressure is regulated at the fuel pump itself. Old tricks might not apply to these newer vehicles.
Thanks for this.
I answers a LOT of questions I had.
I assumed they had inertia switches still.
Also did not know FP was regulated at the pump. Again, assumed it was more downstream toward the intake.
Any day you learn something new is a good day.
I was trying to give him advice based on old tech, apparently.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Man RZ, I hate to hear your baby is sick. Hopefully you can get it recovered soon as I know how much you must hate to leave it alone in the woods. Good luck brother.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question

Does anyone know offhand whether the fuel line from the tank to the engine is a hard line or simply rubber tubing? 🤔

TIA for any info. 👍
Quick connects on hard plastic.

Fuel Lines
Removal

All vehicles

1. NOTE: Removal steps in this procedure may contain installation steps.
    With the vehicle in NEUTRAL, position it on a hoist.
    Refer to: Jacking and Lifting (100-02 Jacking and Lifting, Description and Operation).
  1. Release the fuel system pressure.
    Refer to: Fuel System Pressure Release (310-00B Fuel System - General Information - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), General Procedures).
  1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
    Refer to: Battery Disconnect and Connect (414-01 Battery, Mounting and Cables, General Procedures).
  1. Disconnect the fuel lines.
    Refer to: Quick Release Coupling (310-00B Fuel System - General Information - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), General Procedures).
    Refer to: Spring Lock Couplings (310-00B Fuel System - General Information - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), General Procedures).
Ford Bronco {thread} {filename}
    1. Remove the nuts.
      Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)
    1. Release the fuel line routing retainers and position aside the fuel lines.
3-Door

1. Detach the clip.
    1. Disconnect the fuel line quick release couplings and remove the fuel lines.
      Refer to: Quick Release Coupling (310-00B Fuel System - General Information - 2.7L EcoBoost (238kW/324PS), General Procedures).
5-Door

• Detach the clip.
    • Disconnect the fuel line quick release couplings and remove the fuel lines.
Installation

1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Fuel System - Overview
Overview

NOTICE: Repairs of the fuel system are to be achieved only by replacement of the failed component(s). Repair of a fuel system component should not be attempted.

NOTICE: If directed during assembly of fuel system components, lubricate any seal(s) only with specified material. Failure to follow this instruction may result in seal failure and fuel leakage.

The fuel system consists of:

• a closed loop pressure Control (CLPC) fuel system.
  • fuel tubes (liquid and vapor) packaged into a single assembly.
  • a single longitudinal fuel tank.
  • quick connect fuel and vapor tube couplings.
  • an Easy Fuel™ (capless) fuel tank filler pipe assembly, that contains a misfuel inhibitor device to permit only unleaded fuel to be pumped into the tank.
  • a supplemental refueling adapter located in the rear luggage compartment.
  • a carbon canister mounted above the fuel tank on the frame crossmember with canister vent solenoid.
  • a Fuel Pump Control Module (FPCM) located on the canister bracket on the frame crossmember above the rear of the Fuel Tank.
    • A Fuel Pump and Sender Unit containing:
  • The electric Fuel Pump which provides pressurized fuel to the high pressure Fuel Pump (FP).
  • a serviceable fuel level sensor.
  • a check valve which maintains system pressure after the pump is shut off.
  • a pressure relief for overpressure protection in the event of restricted fluid flow.
  • a lifetime fuel filter providing filtration to protect the fuel injectors from foreign material.
Fuel Pump Shut-off Feature

In the event of a moderate to severe collision, the vehicle is equipped with a Fuel Pump and Sender Shut-off Feature that is initiated by the event notification signal.

The event notification feature provides other vehicle subsystems with information pertaining to restraint system deployment or fuel cutoff status. When an impact occurs which exceeds a predetermined threshold, the RCM sends a signal on a dedicated circuit to the BCM .The BCM then sends a signal on a second hard-wired circuit to the PCM , which initiates fuel cut-off and disables the fuel system.

Should the vehicle shut off after a collision due to this feature, the vehicle may be restarted by first turning the ignition to the OFF position and then turn the ignition to the ON position. In some instances the vehicle may not start the first time and may take one additional ignition cycle.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Does Ford warranty have limits on towing? I wonder if they will cover getting it fetched back to a dealer?
35 miles or to the nearest dealer, no more than 100' off a paved road for recovery/winch out.

Sponsored

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lol Yeah the spare fuel pump can sit next to our spare tie rods and tools. The pump does look easy to get too least from that diagram posted.
Well, there goes the rest of the space in my 2 door. 😑

RedThor

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My Bronco (2.7L) died today, deep into a remote trail… about 4 miles into a 10-mile-long trail with steep elevation changes, tight turns between narrow groups of trees, and deep mud holes. :(

That’s it below… hood up, exactly where it died, going down a decline with 21 degree pitch, trailing behind @kodiakisland's Bronco.

Ford Bronco My Bronco Died Today, Deep Into a Remote Trail [Fuel Pump Failure] Hel

For background, @kodiakisland and I were scouting potential trails for the next NWA trail run on June 14th, and @kodiakisland had briefly stopped for a photo, so I pulled up behind him with my foot on the brake. When the engine started to lug, I put the transmission in neutral, engaged the electronic parking brake, and then put the vehicle into park, and it immediately died.

Numerous attempts were made to get it to re-start, but the engine appears to be starved for fuel. The first thing I checked was the fuel pump fuse (Fuse #4, 30A, in the Under Hood Fuse Box), which was fine. The tank was 3/4 full after being topped off this morning with half a tank of regular unleaded before departure. No signs of water in the fuel tank. Popped the cover off the air filter housing and confirmed that the air filter is not clogged or otherwise blocked. The battery is fully charged and alternator is functioning well (i.e., both confirmed by meters on the IP display, 12.4V on battery, 13.3V with alternator charging under load at speed). The starter fires continuously like normal. The crankshaft turns smoothly, and the engine tries to fire, and sometimes does for one stroke, but then dies again. I also disconnected the battery and waited 20 minutes before retrying, but the results were the same.

My instinctive guess is a fuel pump failure (possibly infant mortality; 2,490 miles on the odometer), based on other recent threads posted on the forum, but I haven't had a chance to pull any Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) or study the Technical Service Manual (TSM) for other possible problems. The vehicle is well beyond cell phone coverage, so it is unlikely that any DTCs would have been uploaded into the Mothership’s tracking system. If it's a fuel pump failure, that is going to present a difficult trail-side fix, because the gas tank will have to be dropped to access the pump.

Unfortunately, it's also going to be difficult to tow out for recovery, because of the aforementioned difficult trail access. :(

So the bad news is we pulled my Bronco off to the side of the trail and temporarily abandoned it deep in the woods this afternoon, and it is sitting on the trail side all alone in the dark tonight. 🙁

The good news is I hitched a ride home with @kodiakisland (Never wheel alone!), got some great photos, and saw three deer today! :)
Thats Exactly what happened to me in my Bronco. The way it shutoff, I knew this was going to be a problem for many of us. Like I said in my post, be prepared for these fuel pumps to give up on you if you out there in deep trails. Many said it was just my bad luck, but Hate to be the “I TOLD YOU SO” guy, Im on day 17 without my Bronco and the fuel pump still has Not arrived to the dealership. Hard to trust these Broncos right now. Good Luck getting it out of there, Mine was difficult, disappointing, embarrassing, and a headache to get out.

internationlriders

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oh man, I can only imagine the frustration and stress especially since this is a new vehicle. I'm more than guessing this was too difficult of a situation to tow the vehicle out with the other vehicle in the convoy?

Also to the other folks with potentially the same fuel pump issue as well, is this a new issue with 2022 models or have we seen 2021 models also have faulty fuel pumps?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. I had been following that thread, so I was thinking about it when I was contemplating possible root causes. Recency bias, perhaps, but the symptoms also do indicate the engine is starved for fuel.
What the ever loving f__k?

Dang it Razorbak86, I'd been living vicariously through you and a few others here. Guess that was too deep in to attempt to drag out using your buddies rig? Glad you reminded everyone of why you never wheel alone.

Please update us on that recovery. If I had a chopper I'd come lift you out A-Team style! :ROFLMAO: .....But, then I'd have to take your Bronco, chop it up, then turn it into a bad ass Bronco tank! Then the state of Arkansas would rake you over the coals on registering the damn thing, but the cannon mounted on the back would make it the coolest Bronco in town.

Silver linings. 😒

Man, how many vehicles will have fuel pump issues? Crazy
Sponsored