Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought dash speaker connecting harnesses from a seller on eBay. Fit perfectly.
Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I replaced the four 4” speakers with the Focal ACX-100
I've read reports that any 4" speakers where the tweeter sits higher than the rest of the speaker results in the tweeter pushing against the plastic dash covers (or in the roll bar pods). Not true?

GreyCactus

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I've read reports that any 4" speakers where the tweeter sits higher than the rest of the speaker results in the tweeter pushing against the plastic dash covers (or in the roll bar pods). Not true?
I suppose for other speakers that could be true but not these. My front passenger grill protrudes just a little because one of the clips got loose when I removed the speaker a second time to add the bass blockers.

Barlos

Base
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well it’s here , kit 11.4 🙌. Now just waiting for 4 Memphis PRX4 and 2 Memphis 5 1/2s. 👏👏👏
Ford Bronco Kicker Key Amp 200.4 Install DIY Video - Do this first! F02FE011-A361-4D6C-8439-D4EA37647AAB

Sponsored

RedHotFuzz

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm curious about running 4" replacement speakers that are rated for 30-35 watts with the Kicker amp that puts out 40 watts per channel. I've seen users doing this. Is it not a big deal?

1970AMCAMX

Base
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, AMC AMX, DF Goblin
Your Bronco Model
Base
For the front the kick panel and the dash speakers are sharing the 50 watts from the amp, for the rear it does seem like kind of a waste to put 50 watts to a 4 inch speaker but you can just use the fader to limit some of the power to the rear speakers.

I'm waiting till mine shows up to see if there is a good location in the rear side panels to put another pair of 6.5 inch speakers in the 2 door Bronco.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I finally completed the DSP portion of the install to finish up the project. The 'pink noise' part of the process was easy and straight forward. I probably don't listen to my music as loud as most people here - before the amp install I listened at 10-12 volume, after the amp install this went to 6-8. The sound presentation was so much better with the Kicker amp without even doing the DSP tune. After the 'pink noise' test and DSP tune the presentation is even better. The volume is still at 6-8.

Now on to the gain matching. This was not as straight forward as the DSP tune. I downloaded the 'tone' for the gain matching from the Kicker website. The instructions say to set volume at 2/3 of max (20 on the Bronco). There is no freaking way you can sit and listen to the gain tone at volume 20 without permanent hearing loss. The instructions are for the KMX (I think) amp and not the Key but I thought I would try them any way. So after permanently damaging my hearing I just played an audio clip at volume 16 to set the gain. The gain 'knob' started with the slot at the 10-4 position, I turned them both up to the 2 - 8 position before I got the limiter light and then backed them down just a bit. The gain in audio volume was significant. I went from listening at 6-8 volume (in Bronco without engine running) to listening at a 2-3 volume. The sound presentation is still really good.

But here is my problem and if anyone has any input I would appreciate it. The ambient 'tone' sounds that the Bronco makes when you select something on the touchscreen are now very loud. The volume level is not controlled by the audio volume control. It seems to be a preset volume that is now turned up due to the increase in the gain setting on the amp. I ended up turning the 'tone' sound off in the the Bronco General Setting screen. However I would like to be able to turn this ambient tone volume down - does anyone have any ideas on this?

Cheers and hope everyone has a great weekend.

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So…am I crazy? It seems like the factory speakers are actually breaking in after 12,000 miles of use and are sounding fuller? I have the amp and harness, just waiting to get back home from a 6 week work assignment to install!!

BCFDLtE13

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I finally completed the DSP portion of the install to finish up the project. The 'pink noise' part of the process was easy and straight forward. I probably don't listen to my music as loud as most people here - before the amp install I listened at 10-12 volume, after the amp install this went to 6-8. The sound presentation was so much better with the Kicker amp without even doing the DSP tune. After the 'pink noise' test and DSP tune the presentation is even better. The volume is still at 6-8.

Now on to the gain matching. This was not as straight forward as the DSP tune. I downloaded the 'tone' for the gain matching from the Kicker website. The instructions say to set volume at 2/3 of max (20 on the Bronco). There is no freaking way you can sit and listen to the gain tone at volume 20 without permanent hearing loss. The instructions are for the KMX (I think) amp and not the Key but I thought I would try them any way. So after permanently damaging my hearing I just played an audio clip at volume 16 to set the gain. The gain 'knob' started with the slot at the 10-4 position, I turned them both up to the 2 - 8 position before I got the limiter light and then backed them down just a bit. The gain in audio volume was significant. I went from listening at 6-8 volume (in Bronco without engine running) to listening at a 2-3 volume. The sound presentation is still really good.

But here is my problem and if anyone has any input I would appreciate it. The ambient 'tone' sounds that the Bronco makes when you select something on the touchscreen are now very loud. The volume level is not controlled by the audio volume control. It seems to be a preset volume that is now turned up due to the increase in the gain setting on the amp. I ended up turning the 'tone' sound off in the the Bronco General Setting screen. However I would like to be able to turn this ambient tone volume down - does anyone have any ideas on this?

Cheers and hope everyone has a great weekend.
I've heard of others with this issue. Mine is not affected, tones and alerts are "normal" volume still. Did you use a plug-n-play harness? I did, performed dsp tuning and set gains similiar to your process. The PnP harness seems to isolate just the speakers, power, and ground at the head unit. Perhaps it only amplifies the audio outputs from music sources. With an amp just wired to the speakers downstream from the head unit, it may be amplifying every sound it produces. Just a thought...not 100% certain, wish I could help more.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've heard of others with this issue. Mine is not affected, tones and alerts are "normal" volume still. Did you use a plug-n-play harness? I did, performed dsp tuning and set gains similiar to your process. The PnP harness seems to isolate just the speakers, power, and ground at the head unit. Perhaps it only amplifies the audio outputs from music sources. With an amp just wired to the speakers downstream from the head unit, it may be amplifying every sound it produces. Just a thought...not 100% certain, wish I could help more.
I am using the PlugnPlay harness. Is it possible to plug it in wrong?? I’m pretty sure I have it hooked up correctly. 🤷🏻‍♂️

BCFDLtE13

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am using the PlugnPlay harness. Is it possible to plug it in wrong?? I’m pretty sure I have it hooked up correctly. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't think so, only one way to hook it up. I've got a 24 hour shift tomorrow, but after that I'll look more into my settings and see if I can figure something out for you. One thing I just noticed in your post is: You started with the gains in the 10-4 position. Per Kicker instructions, the gains should be set to zero before running the dsp tuning. I would try that, and...make sure all tone settings are flat. Press "reset" and it will revert to that. Also make sure speed compensated volume is turned off before performing the dsp again.

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think so, only one way to hook it up. I've got a 24 hour shift tomorrow, but after that I'll look more into my settings and see if I can figure something out for you. One thing I just noticed in your post is: You started with the gains in the 10-4 position. Per Kicker instructions, the gains should be set to zero before running the dsp tuning. I would try that, and...make sure all tone settings are flat. Press "reset" and it will revert to that. Also make sure speed compensated volume is turned off before performing the dsp again.
The gain setting was turned all the way counterclockwise (which is what I guess is zero) when it was at the 10-4 position. I thought I would redo the entire process tomorrow and see if that changes anything. Everything was flattened out but I don’t think I had turned off the speed compensated volume - I’ll make sure that is done when I redo everything. Thanks for the input.

BCFDLtE13

Badlands
First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The gain setting was turned all the way counterclockwise (which is what I guess is zero) when it was at the 10-4 position. I thought I would redo the entire process tomorrow and see if that changes anything. Everything was flattened out but I don’t think I had turned off the speed compensated volume - I’ll make sure that is done when I redo everything. Thanks for the input.
...also, make sure the "radio detect" button is pressed in.
Sponsored