First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My limited researching on this part number comes up specific to the 21-22 Bronco. Not sure where the 3.5l link originated from. A lot of these part numbers seem seem similar and I confused them a couple times.

Interesting this part number was referenced back in January.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...ps-replacement-drain-plugs.25658/post-1147186
Way earlier in this thread I shared that when I went to a dealership in AZ, a month after I received my Bronco, I wanted to sleuth and even then (November) I was told that the correct number was the MB3Z number...but they didn't have one in stock. Not sure why, if Ford indicated that the correct stick was in fact the MB3Z one, why up until even now Broncos have the wrong stick?

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Why should we buy the new stick…. Ford should replace free….
They probably will eventually. I'll spend the $20 now and keep the old one for a souvenir. Put it on the wall of shame.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Way earlier in this thread I shared that when I went to a dealership in AZ, a month after I received my Bronco, I wanted to sleuth and even then (November) I was told that the correct number was the MB3Z number...but they didn't have one in stock. Not sure why, if Ford indicated that the correct stick was in fact the MB3Z one, why up until even now Broncos have the wrong stick?
Do you know, did they just get these in stock?

Sponsored

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you know, did they just get these in stock?
My dealer does not stock them but it was cool that they get one in just a few business days. I went with the dealer that was local because if you type the part number in online, loads of places list it but then you won't know when it is going to arrive so I went with talking to a live person. I'd rather spend the 20 bucks than wait until Ford gets around to offering to replace our old ones...if they even do offer. They have run silent on this one since the beginning, which is odd because the solution seemed to have been known since at least November.

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The question is… did those of us that filled only to the max fill hole on the original stick cause any damage?

I’ve apparently been running ~0.825 qt short for 2k miles since I decided to heed the owners manual text that stated specifically to not run above the max fill hole, knowing full well this contradicted the 7qt specifications (either option required disobeying the other; I chose to go with the one that allowed me to use something measured and graduated to reason about the fill level, but apparently this was the wrong decision)…

Regardless of the potential of sustained damage, I now feel the need to go perform a full drain and 7qt fill thousands of miles early since there’s no f***ing way to just add and measure where I’m at with the factory dipstick I was provided.

Last edited:

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The question is… did those of us that filled only to the max fill hole on the original stick cause any damage?

I’ve apparently been running ~0.825 qt short for 2k miles since I decided to heed the owners manual text that stated specifically to not run above the max fill hole, knowing full well this contradicted the 7qt specifications (either option required disobeying the other; I chose to go with the one that allowed me to use something measured and graduated to reason about the fill level, but apparently this was the wrong decision)…
I doubt any damage was done at running 6 quarts...as long as the oil pump is able to pump oil under full pressure/no cavitation continuously no issues. With one quart less your oil will reach the end of its useful life sooner, but depending on the oil that should be far beyond 2k miles.

Stonetree

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here it is...the definitive answer to our issues! The facts:

The correct stick is PN MB3Z-6750-B

It is 7/8 of an inch shorter from the base of the handle to the MAX line than the current sticks in our Broncos.

Note the pics...showing side by side comparisons of overall length and max mark lengths. Also note my oil position as measured PER THE MANUAL on the "new" stick. If you want an accurate oil measurement using the procedures indicated in the manual, with 7 quarts, buy the MB3Z-6750-B. I ordered it from my dealer Friday, it came today...19.45.
So, is the correct number MB3Z or MB3E?

drew707

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So, is the correct number MB3Z or MB3E?
MB3Z is the part number you would order from your dealer.

What is actually stamped onto the stick is the engineering number (MB3E). The engineering number can be used by your dealer to find the part number as well. Same but different basically. The part number provided is correct though I believe you’ll want to confirm with your dealer that it’s the updated (5/9) part since it appears that this same part number has existed for a while now.

Someone correct me if I’m informed wrong, I don’t know dealer specifics all too well and decoding parts has been a learning curve the last couple weeks

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So what I can't believe is that you're telling me that through all the prototyping, and all the demo builds, and off rodeo builds, nobody at Ford took note that it was the wrong dipstick?

Highlights the other meaning of the word "dipstick"

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
MB3Z is the part number you would order from your dealer.

What is actually stamped onto the stick is the engineering number (MB3E). The engineering number can be used by your dealer to find the part number as well. Same but different basically. The part number provided is correct though I believe you’ll want to confirm with your dealer that it’s the updated (5/9) part since it appears that this same part number has existed for a while now.

Someone correct me if I’m informed wrong, I don’t know dealer specifics all too well and decoding parts has been a learning curve the last couple weeks
Yes on the MB3Z...if you buy one and if you have 7 quarts in your pan your level on the stick will fall in the hash mark range like so...finally!
20220601_162733.jpg

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yes on the MB3Z...if you buy one and if you have 7 quarts in your pan your level on the stick will fall in the hash mark range like so...finally!
Ford Bronco Bronco Team Engineering Confirms 7.0 Quarts for 2.7L Engine Oil Change is Correct 20220601_162733
Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but seems to me that if a person were to fill to the proper dipstick level (top of hash) they would now be overfill at over 7+ qts?

Just seems like even this new dipstick isn't really the perfect match.

Oh, and I interpreted "moving up to twist" as something different than just making a shorter dipstick.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Not trying to look a gift horse in the mouth, but seems to me that if a person were to fill to the proper dipstick level (top of hash) they would now be overfill at over 7+ qts?

Just seems like even this new dipstick isn't really the perfect match.

Oh, and I interpreted "moving up to twist" as something different than just making a shorter dipstick.
7 quarts puts me at just under the top line of the hash mark, which is ideal. Per Ford, anything in the hash mark area is acceptable.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All dipsticks work that way. There is no need to ever keep topping off the oil level with minute amounts of oil. People are way over-obsessive about engine oil level. For most all automotive engines, the hash area represents approximately 1 quart/1 liter, which is the top quart (i.e. 7th quart) of oil in the engine.
Exactly...and now mine actually does that! Never have I been so excited to open a package containing only a dipstick...
Sponsored