Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grangerford.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found this article a few years back and it really made sense for all cars...

How Do You Break in a Car’s New Engine?

By
Craig Cole Apr 21, 2017

So, you just bought a car, something showroom fresh with fewer miles on the odometer than a new pair of shoes.

Naturally, you will want to do everything you can to protect this investment. Properly breaking the engine in will do its part to help ensure a long and trouble-free life.

But opinions differ on how this should be accomplished. Some experts advocate performing a hard break-in. This includes a certain amount of heavy acceleration during the vehicle’s first few miles. The goal of this is to force piston rings against cylinder walls so these metal parts can seat before the bores’ honing marks are worn away. Done properly, this supposedly results in an engine that produces more power and lasts longer.

Take it Easy

Alternatively, most others recommend taking it easy for a while, including many automakers. According to Michael Siegrist, assistant chief engineer of the new 1.6-liter turbo diesel engine in the Chevy Cruze and the man in charge of all GM’s passenger-car compression-ignition engines in North America, “Most of our vehicles ask that you do a 1,500-mile break-in.”

This encompasses several things. “Don’t drive a constant speed,” said Siegrist; try to vary the engine’s RPM frequently. He also added, “Don’t go over 80 miles an hour,” and “no full-throttle starts.” It is also prudent to avoid exceeding 4,000 RPM. Sorry Corvette and Camaro owners, the break-in period is a no-fun, burnout-free, racing-exempt zone.

But in the long run, your patience during those first 1,500 or so miles will likely be rewarded. “What’s really going on,” explained Siegrist, “[Is] you have machined parts with sharp edges that during that break-in period, we’re lapping in those sharp edges so that they fit perfectly for the life of the engine.” He said internal combustion powerplants would operate fine with roughly machined components, but things improve after those moving parts get comfortable with one another. “Once you do that, your good forever,” he added.

It is a similar situation with Toyota. For its Highlander crossover at least, the Japanese automaker recommends right in the owner’s manual that customers avoid sudden stops or towing for up to the first 500 miles. After that, driving extremely fast, suddenly accelerating or running at a constant speed for prolonged periods are discouraged.

Ready to Run

Naturally, suggested break-in procedures vary from one manufacturer to another. Generally, they seem to advocate taking it easy, but that is not the case with every automaker. David M. Goggin, marketing communications director at Cummins, a major manufacturer of diesel engines, said, “We have no special break-in procedures,” a policy he estimates the company has had for a decade or more. “[Just] get in and drive it.”

Goggin noted that with Cummins’ current manufacturing capabilities and the tolerances they can hold, plus superior lubricants and better materials obviate the need for a special break-in. Additionally, during engine testing, “We can tell if there’s something wrong,” he added, and hold back a certain powerplant if it is not ready to hit the ground running from day one.

Another vehicle class where taking it easy might not be recommended is in the performance market. Mike Schropp, engine supervisor at Livernois Motorsports, a company that offers engineering services, vehicle performance products and more said, “Most of the engines we build here would be high performance and/or racing-style engines.” Accordingly, “The break-in process is pretty critical.”

What does Schropp recommend? Well, he advocates customers use the right-most pedal a little more aggressively than some OEMs, but only to a certain point. “Medium load to medium-heavy load is really the best,” he said. This corresponds roughly to between 30 and 60 percent throttle.

Of course, Schropp cautioned the importance of not overdoing things. “There are people that… want a really hard break-in,” he said, but extremely high loads and temperatures are not desirable, so be judicious with the accelerator.

Additionally, Schropp stressed the importance of avoiding extended idling, which can glaze cylinder walls, preventing the rings from properly seating. For this reason and more, it is critical to vary engine speed during the early miles after a rebuild.

“The rings themselves actually oscillate on the pistons,” said Schropp. Varying the RPM, accelerating and decelerating “allows the rings to move and cycle” for an optimal seal.

What About the Oil?

Further ensuring a proper break-in, Livernois Motorsports puts special oil in all its rebuilt engines. This is just another way of ensuring they offer the best product possible to their customers.

For factory-fresh vehicles, this usually is not the case. Accordingly, Schropp recommends early oil changes to help flush any undesirable metallic bits out of an engine’s vital circulatory system. A lot of that cruft is “going to get caught in the oil filter,” he said, but still, “I would change it after the first thousand miles.”

The same is not necessarily true for automakers. “We manufacture all or our engines with the oil we want it broken in with,” said Siegrist, lubricants that he suspects are not specially formulated to help with this process. Additionally, he noted that a more frequent lubrication service schedule is not necessary. “Just follow the oil-life monitor,” which is built into GM vehicles.

Still, you can never harm an engine by changing the oil too frequently. Early service like this, while probably wasteful of money, can only benefit vehicle longevity.

Another thing that could speed this process along is avoiding synthetic oil. Schropp recommends this since you need a certain amount of friction between moving parts for them to wear together properly. Man-made lubricants generally allow less of this than their mineral equivalents.

Final Thoughts

So, if you just had a high-performance rebuilt powerplant installed in your cherished 1970 Plymouth Road Runner, listen to the engine builder’s advice.

Likewise, as you drive off the lot in a factory-fresh car, crossover or pickup truck, it is probably best to follow the automaker’s specific break-in recommendations. Siegrist emphasized that new-vehicle buyers should read their owner’s manuals because everything is “spelled out exactly what to do.”

And curiously with many GM vehicles, whether it’s a tiny Buick Encore, a diesel-powered heavy-duty Sierra pickup or even the ridiculously fast Camaro ZL1, Siegrist said the break-in guidelines are largely the same. “Everything from an LT4 that goes into a Corvette or a little one-four turbo that goes into a Cruze, to our diesel, the loads in those engines vary dramatically.” But he added, “We’ve kind of iterated to… a common approach to the break-in.” As always, your mileage will vary.
Sponsored

LOMartin

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR4, F250, b2650HSTC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good article outlining all sides of the spectrum.

I like what some manufactures are doing in taking the guessing game out for the user. They just limit the RPM's till a certain mileage or temperature reading.

I'm in the just drive it camp, and if its a go fast then drive it hard.

bbqbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well that's why it's good we have to wait for our broncos. They're built to order and you can make sure it's broken in properly.

Ford Bronco Granger Ford - New vehicle break in process Untitled

AKaye

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Corvette Grand Sport, 2005 Ford Focus SES
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Good read and just goes to show to listen to the people who designed and manufactured the engine in question. I'll just follow what the Ford manual says instead of listening to the armchair engineers on the internet

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This reminds me of the individuals with oil consumption issues with their GT350 and it turns out most of the issues is because they didn’t listen to Fords recommendation and they babied the car for too long so engine didn’t properly break in. If anything you need to listen to what the professionals tell you since they are the ones engineering it.

Sponsored

mikeandmiki

Wildtrak
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-350 Platinum, '16 Challenger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
"Don't drive a constant speed." This is what concerns me. I'll have a 1000 mile trip home that could take a week. But I guess it would pay off in the long run.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I plan on taking a leisurely drive home in the sense I will probably hit up a local place for lunch and make a few stops along the way. I am looking to maybe even bring a buddy along to drive home with and stop and get his thoughts ny letting him drive a bit and take in the drive. This will mean getting off the road and back on so stop starts, accelerate and decelerate.

BeerForMyHorses

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

"Don't drive a constant speed." This is what concerns me. I'll have a 1000 mile trip home that could take a week. But I guess it would pay off in the long run.
That's the number one reason why I probably won't drive it home and just have it delivered.

thehermdawg10

Base
First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, 1985 Toyota Corolla GTS
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Same here, I don’t know if I have the discipline to vary my speed/RPM on my road trip home. Plus time will probably be a factor because of getting back to work etc.

Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Same here, I don’t know if I have the discipline to vary my speed/RPM on my road trip home. Plus time will probably be a factor because of getting back to work etc.
Get off the interstate. Take the secondaries. They usually go right through town, slow down, get gas before you need it, check out a couple of blocks in town, buy a pie, roll on.

Edit:

Thinking about it, this is actually good advice for general travel. The interstates are good for point A to B but not much fun to see or do anything.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Makes me worry about my 6.4L Challenger lol. I babied that bitch for the first 500 miles and went off at 500 on the dot. I left it in eco and that probably wasn’t the best idea as that’s cylinder deactivation. Is what it is I guess.

This is looking like this might end up being a vacation now. Maybe leave on a Saturday morning or Friday night and drive the 9 hours straight through and bring the Bronco back and see some sights from Iowa to Colorado.

Bronco4lyfe85

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Challenger Scat Pack
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looking at everything might be a good excuse to take the long way home and hit up St Louis and then go through Kansas City with a big Broncos flag and get some BBQ.

lobbs611

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2D JL Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looking at everything might be a good excuse to take the long way home and hit up St Louis and then go through Kansas City with a big Broncos flag and get some BBQ.
I'm in KC and can point ya to the best BBQ. I'd do my best to ignore the flag??
Sponsored