First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I noticed that you have the factory roof rack. Did you have to remove the rack to install the insulation? Looks like you can lift the panels high enough to slide it in without removing rack.
Sponsored

Havoc1

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 F250, 20 Accord Sport, 21 HD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I suspect there was more D&D and less R&D for a lot of the development cycle.
At Ford HQ:

Lead engineer: we need to come out with something to combat wind noise! It's the #1 complaint for these Bronco's

Lead's suck up: but sir i thought the #1 complaint was how long produc--
Lead: shutup you, it's fake news. Everything is under control. Like I was saying wind noise is the #1 complaint, we need your help to solve this matter.

----Several days later----
Random engineer discovers pool noodles work and reduce noise by 30%.
Lead: This could work. It's cheap, effective, and just the thing customers would like to see in this post epid-

The suckup storms in
Suckup: Sir! I've got it! How about we "design" a "sound deadening material" that we say goes on "all the panels" and sell it for $500-$600.
Lead: (tosses pool noodles) I like it! Do what you need to make it happen!

1 year later, sound deadening panels are born

OP
OP
mountainbronco

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I noticed that you have the factory roof rack. Did you have to remove the rack to install the insulation? Looks like you can lift the panels high enough to slide it in without removing rack.
When you have MIC and roof rails, the MIC panels can be removed without removing the roof rails. You just have to unlock the folding clips, along with the rotating clips. Then raise the panel slightly, twist slightly to one side, close the folding clips while raised, and remove the panel underneath the roof rail, sideways and slightly angled.

Oops, I forgot to mention, also remove the noodle insulation! :rolleyes:

null problemo! 🤗

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So here I am reading this thinking to myself, it can't make that much a difference can it?

But for $8 I'll give it a try.
So:
Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 1655054322617

Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 1655054386871

For my 2 door I just used 2 6' sections and pushed them towards the back. No trimming necessary.

Took it for a test drive and....
Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack 1655054439714

Yes. It makes a difference. Going at 40-45mph I was like... maybe I'm just driving with a smooth tail wind and that's why I'm only hearing tires. Get up to highway speed and there's wind noise, but not near what it was. Noice.

Out of everything I've spent on the vehicle so far, this is the best $8 of it.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'll have to give this a try today. Picked ours up yesterday and noticed the wind noise on the highway, given I'm so used to a Fusion and Flex. I'd been warning my wife during the entire wait that it won't ride like the Fusion did and will have more wind noise.

I was pleasantly surprised just how stable the Bronco is at 80mph, but the wind noise was still more than I expected for a hard top with liner. After a graduation party, we'll pick some of these foamy boys up

Sponsored

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I suspect there was more D&D and less R&D for a lot of the development cycle.
So Rockstars role playing as Engineers but nobody in the group has Intelligence above 10 but man is that Charisma no less than 15.

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'll have to give this a try today. Picked ours up yesterday and noticed the wind noise on the highway, given I'm so used to a Fusion and Flex. I'd been warning my wife during the entire wait that it won't ride like the Fusion did and will have more wind noise.

I was pleasantly surprised just how stable the Bronco is at 80mph, but the wind noise was still more than I expected for a hard top with liner. After a graduation party, we'll pick some of these foamy boys up
You should hear it with the yakima platform w/high lift jack holder and perimeter railing. Especially when the dealer installed and and didn't put any of the insulation in the channels.
It's hilariously loud. And the perimeter railing is the loudest clearest whislte I've ever heard from a car part. Mine are now sitting in storage while I debate selling them, or keeping them for occasions when I go overlanding.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well,

All I can say is WOW WOW....

So, I took the OP's original idea, and went to Home Depot....but instead of foam, I paid $6 for 3/4" RUBBER, since rubber is better than foam as a sound barrier (6 foot)....

BUT, for ME, the main noise has always bothered me from the FRONT of the bronco...

So, after putting in the insulation on the sides just as the OP, I had about 2 pieces left-over of about 2-2.5 feet each...

now the FRONT empty channel is smaller than the sides so you need to CUT in HALF the remaining pieces, and you have enough for the front....

See the pics.

I can't say for sure how much the noise from the sides was reduced, but BY GOD the front noise is reduced by 70-75% for me....

I won't drive now without it when the top is on.

Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack tempImage3iPWN0

SnowBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure it works, but stuffing some foam or other crap in all these gaps makes better than 30% difference in wind noise.

Ford Bronco Attention MIC Hard Top Owners - Wind Noise Reduction Hack tempImage3iPWN0
I just showed my dealer this gap and they ordered me new revised gaskets. No more gap. I never really had a wind noise problem anyways. 🤷

Sponsored

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well,

All I can say is WOW WOW....

So, I took the OP's original idea, and went to Home Depot....but instead of foam, I paid $6 for 3/4" RUBBER, since rubber is better than foam as a sound barrier (6 foot)....

BUT, for ME, the main noise has always bothered me from the FRONT of the bronco...

So, after putting in the insulation on the sides just as the OP, I had about 2 pieces left-over of about 2-2.5 feet each...

now the FRONT empty channel is smaller than the sides so you need to CUT in HALF the remaining pieces, and you have enough for the front....

See the pics.

I can't say for sure how much the noise from the sides was reduced, but BY GOD the front noise is reduced by 70-75% for me....

I won't drive now without it when the top is on.

Looks like I need to go back to Home Depot for more material for front.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Looks like I need to go back to Home Depot for more material for front.

Yea, I think the front makes the most difference.

Reactions: Cat

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wonder how often they will need to be replaced if one lives in high heat region because they will dry out and become brittle and flake off? I had some stored in my garage and wanted to use them to make some outdoor faucet covers during a freezing spell and they just crumbled in my hands.
I’ll let you know if I remember when they do.
definitely hot here. 105 with 110 heat index yesterday. Supposed to be same today.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’ll let you know if I remember when they do.
definitely hot here. 105 with 110 heat index yesterday. Supposed to be same today.

Get the rubber instead. It's gonna be better for sound.

carrellslake

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I just showed my dealer this gap and they ordered me new revised gaskets. No more gap. I never really had a wind noise problem anyways. 🤷
Can you find a part number for those gaskets? My dealer has done nothing since I reported this problem to them.
Sponsored