bbostic5

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 4Runner, '08 Civic, Waiting on a 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since this topic tends to clutter every other thread on the board, let's use this thread to discuss.

Personally, I'm fine either way seeing as how either one will do 95% of what I want very well. SFA is generally better off-road, and with today's technology, can still be great on-road (Jeep JL). IFS is generally better on-road, but can still be great off-road as well and handle most anything the general public will throw at it, save for rock crawling (4Runner).

IMO, based off of the Bronco R, it is highly likely that the BroncoBronco will be IFS. I suspect though that Ford has something up their sleeve and will offer both IFS and SFA. I would guess it would be a trim/package and not an option you can check.

Feel free to argue away.... and keep it in here!
Sponsored

Mountain Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full size GM SUV
Your Bronco Model
Base
I agree that the battle between IFS vs SFA have really made some the the threads hard to follow . . .

I am wondering if the 4 door will have IFS and 2 door SFA. Maybe as an option on either.

BroncoMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'71 Bronco, '02 Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Pretty simple for me - if Bronco comes with SFA or an SFA option, I'm good. If it comes with IFS, I'll likely still buy one (provided all else is good) and give the IFS a try. If the IFS doesn't do what I feel I "need" it to do, I'll make upgrades as necessary, up to and including an SFA swap. My guess is there will be at least as many companies offering SFA kits as there will be offering Coyote and Diesel conversions. Compared to the lengths some here have gone to on rigs they've posted, an SFA swap isn't an immense amount of money or effort.

TopRecon

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Basesquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
My guess is there will be at least as many companies offering SFA kits as there will be offering Coyote and Diesel conversions.
Undoubtably, which I hope will quiet down some of the purists. Whenever there is a singular obvious flaw with a car the aftermarket usually steps in with a solution pretty quickly, like Coyote swapped Raptors or Manual swapped Supras. If Ford doesn't release a SFA themselves, it'd be real interesting to watch a stock Bronco go head to head with an aftermarket SFA swap, see how big of a difference it really makes.

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I will never claim IFS is better that SFA for rock crawling, and I don't think anyone will contest IFS is better for doing things at speed. I WILL contest that Ford doesn't need to appease the hard core rock crawlers to make the Bronco a success to the masses. They need the same level of offroad credibility as the wrangler, but don't need to accomplish it in exactly the same way. SFA swaps for the hardcore can come aftermarket potentially.

For me, I want something that is the right combination of a short 2 door suv body, rugged IFS that will handle well and be reliable while going fast over rough tracks, and a high performing power/drivetrain. Nothing like that exists right now at a reasonable price point. Essential, give me a Raptor in a 2 door suv body and I'm happy.

I fully understand I'm in the minority among enthusiasts. However nothing of the sort has existed in a reasonable price range since my Pajero Evolution was new in the late 90s, and Ford has my hopes up they may be giving me a new option.

Sponsored

phillyfx4

Outer Banks
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F 150 4X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
we see how many 4 doors Jeep sells compared to their 2 doors models anymore …..

maybe we'll see 4 door Broncos with IFS and 2 door with SFA …..

Or 4 and 2 door Broncos with IFS and a special trim level 2 door with SFA ( my guess )

then everybody goes home happy :whew:

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
we see how many 4 doors Jeep sells compared to their 2 doors models anymore …..

maybe we'll see 4 door Broncos with IFS and 2 door with SFA …..

Or 4 and 2 door Broncos with IFS and a special trim level 2 door with SFA ( my guess )

then everybody goes home happy :whew:
That latter option is my hope to make everyone happy. Regular Bronco 4 and 2 door have IFS, there's a 'Raptor' version with IFS and more power/Torsen diff/better shocks. Then there's a 'Rock Monster' package that gives the rock crawlers a SFA, locker, and sway bar disconnect. That would be perfect world.

I'll be very annoyed if only the 4 door has IFS

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That latter option is my hope to make everyone happy. Regular Bronco 4 and 2 door have IFS, there's a 'Raptor' version with IFS and more power/Torsen diff/better shocks. Then there's a 'Rock Monster' package that gives the rock crawlers a SFA, locker, and sway bar disconnect. That would be perfect world.

I'll be very annoyed if only the 4 door has IFS
If they did 4dr IFS and 2 dr SFA only, then you buy your 2Dr and look for a 4Dr owner wanting SFA and spend a weekend swapping out racks.. jk..kinda. No, I fully understand your need for a SWB IFS SUV.

I do like that last option of an option at least on the 2Dr for a SFA, because enthusiast who say that they require the SFA will also know that they require the shorter wheel base of the 2Dr.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Bronco that isn't a mile wide needs to have some really good articulation and ability to upscale tires without losing it, and failing that, needs to have an easily swapped front end.

My level of hope that Ford will offer a SFA is basically zero given the details whispered by little birdies. I really don't understand their re-imagining of the model in the context of what Ford officials have said so far, and they aren't making much of an effort to explain it.

Maybe the Bronco will show up at KOH, or some other race that actually requires 4x4 to do well in, and wow us at a race the competitor might actually care about, but I don't see that happening with what has been shown so far.

KOH2020.jpg

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If they did 4dr IFS and 2 dr SFA only, then you buy your 2Dr and look for a 4Dr owner wanting SFA and spend a weekend swapping out racks.. jk..kinda. No, I fully understand your need for a SWB IFS SUV.

I do like that last option of an option at least on the 2Dr for a SFA, because enthusiast who say that they require the SFA will also know that they require the shorter wheel base of the 2Dr.
I disagree there. I want the longer wheelbase of the 4 door for Moab type stuff.

Even if I wasn’t into Moab, the Rubicon, and other similarly difficult stuff, I would still want solid axles. Ford has proven to me that their Raptor grade IFS components cannot be trusted even on moderate roads with a little snow.

I realize that solid axle components can fail too. I understand that Jeep’s central axle disconnect can be problematic. I’ve also had issue with the automatic/manual hubs on a super duty. The difference here is that these issues can be easily fixed by the aftermarket. That and you can always manually lock the hubs on a super duty.

Sponsored

Toyhoarder

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Early Bronco, F-150, F-450
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wish Ford would’ve approached the whole Bronco Sport/BroncoBronco thing differently.

They could’ve put a similar body on both with different drivetrains. IFS/IRS and a four banger eb for the removable top beach cruiser type and solid axles/v8 for the enthusiast.

It seems like there is zero enthusiast interest in the Bronco Sport.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I didn't sleep in a Holiday Express last night, but I do work within an engineering group at a Global Company that most of it's products is Green.
So... here's my take on what "might" happen.

Within the design of the front axle area, FoMoCo will design it to be a more "module" concept. This will allow production to quickly mount either an "IFA Module" or a "SFA Module" to build the configurations as Customer Demands deem them to be. Likewise, this will allow years down the road for someone who acquires a rig without their "ideal" axle to be able to "relatively easily" swap to their preferred choice form a donor vehicle. This will also allow FoMoCo to not over produse any particular configuration (in other words, it would help to keep the bean counters happy..).

Lastly, I have No Inside Knowledge, but I do think Way Way Outside of The Box.....

Oh! One More Thing!!!!!

With these axle mounting configurations being "Modular", it would allow "Offset Spacers/Brackets" to allow the the owner to "lift" either configuration. (did I mention that I think way way outside of the box.....)

Last edited:

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford is in business to make money and they will sell more broncos with IFS.
I called it quite a while ago that it would be IFS, not a hard call really.

For me, I want something that is the right combination of a short 2 door suv body, rugged IFS that will handle well and be reliable while going fast over rough tracks, and a high performing power/drivetrain. Nothing like that exists right now at a reasonable price point. Essential, give me a Raptor in a 2 door suv body and I'm happy.
As little as people rock crawl their new rigs, people who run high speed stuff if maybe 5% of that.
It's not family or rig friendly, the mistakes that can be made @ 50 MPH could lead to death.
@ 2 MPH, possibly a significant dent for a total newbie out crawling.

The number of places to crawl are a million to one, vs finding a big desert (and crawling can be set
up with a small pile of rocks in any parking lot, at an event).

So if we are talking market, you are near the bottom, even compared to crawlers.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
be 5% of that.
It's not family or rig friendly, the mistakes that can be made @ 50 MPH could lead to death.
Hasn’t stopped the raptor from being insanely popular.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
IFS pros---
Great handling dynamics
stability
comfort

IFS cons---
difficult to modify/lift --when compared to SFA
limited travel is pretty much all you can get without a full custom setup, which now increases track width and very costly
some durability concerns

SFA pros---
tough as nails
easy to lift and modify
travel can be increased dramatically with shocks and bump stops

SFA cons---
some minor handling concerns
slightly less comfortable in rough conditions (washboard dirt roads come to mind)
more unsprung weight makes a vehicle feel unrefined and weighty

TO BE CLEAR
I would prefer SFA just for the durability in michigan. That being said, our roads here suck, and IFS soaks it all right up. So either way I can see the bright side of it all.
If it has a stick, cool, probably end up lifted a bit on 35/37" tires. ---it will look sooooo sweet.
if its IFS, probably just a leveling kit with some beefy 33 M/T's. ---look good without killing mileage.
Sponsored