Sponsored

Bronco R Race Prototype Revealed for Baja 1000!

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If the R is supposed to be proving the parts of the production vehicle are 'rugged' and 'durable' and race worthy and whatnot, why not actually include more of them in the race vehicle? At the same time, if Ford wants to have the R "take back the crown" from the existing off road vehicle leader, presumably the Wrangler, why not actually compete against it in the Baja 1000? Ford has gone out of their way to produce a race vehicle that is more different than necessary from the production vehicle, and from the competitor, and from the heritage vehicle they're comparing it to.

SCORE Class 3 is for "Short wheelbase 4x4 vehicles ... based on production vehicle available and sold to general public" (and it would not be the first time the SCORE committee let a vehicle into a class before it was available, or as they have done before create a "class of one" for a vehicle from a major manufacturer that did not meet all the normal requirements (like the ZR2)). Class 3 is where a lightly modified Jeep Wrangler would compete.

Class 2 that Ford decided to compete in doesn't even require 4x4 or a body, just limits the displacement of the engine, wheelbase length (105") and weight (2000lb). This is a "buggy" class.

They are purposely avoiding the competition. That is not encouraging.
Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If the R is supposed to be proving the parts of the production vehicle are 'rugged' and 'durable' and race worthy and whatnot, why not actually include more of them in the race vehicle? At the same time, if Ford wants to have the R "take back the crown" from the existing off road vehicle leader, presumably the Wrangler, why not actually compete against it in the Baja 1000? Ford has gone out of their way to produce a race vehicle that is more different than necessary from the production vehicle, and from the competitor, and from the heritage vehicle they're comparing it to.

SCORE Class 3 is for "Short wheelbase 4x4 vehicles ... based on production vehicle available and sold to general public" (and it would not be the first time the SCORE committee let a vehicle into a class before it was available, or as they have done before create a "class of one" for a vehicle from a major manufacturer that did not meet all the normal requirements (like the ZR2)). Class 3 is where a lightly modified Jeep Wrangler would compete.

Class 2 that Ford decided to compete in doesn't even require 4x4 or a body, just limits the displacement of the engine, wheelbase length (105") and weight (2000lb). This is a "buggy" class.

It's probably has more to do with program timing than anything. It's just not ready yet.

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I mean they have no intentions of revealing what the BroncoBronco actually is.... at this point I just really don’t know why you’re here. It’s pretty clear the Bronco won’t be for you no matter what so might be time to hop over to the JK/JL forum.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Do you normally read out of context? or just today? First of all, its an 87, second of all it wasn't even rock crawling, I was simply making a point that what you drive doesn't make you a trail tampon, its the driver.

3, I do not need to explain to you in detail the 100's of reasons a side by side will get more travel per track width than a full size vehicle. I am sure you already know exactly why.
4, To be fair, I did mention "Stock" for a reason, but more importantly I said the exception would be "other than some specific rock configuration" CONGRATULATIONS, you found one. I don't believe for a second that you don't get passed on the trail all day by side by sides thinking to yourself, jeez I wonder if I should have driven that today? Then you remember you enjoy the challenge of driving a proper rig off road, don't need a helmet, and you get to drive it home!
No, I don't get passed on the trail. In rock crawling, had you ever actually done it, you don't race up the rocks on multiple lanes. The obstacle is the obstacle and that's that. I either get up on it or i don't. I can tell you the solid axle jeeps will go up much gnarlier stuff than side by sides even dream of - even specialized rock crawler models like mine. And no, i never ran into a situation where I had one and wished I had the other - simply because I know what to expect from each trail. The simple "specific rock configuration" that allows for that is simply, tire size. And that's where the limitations of the IFS come.

You can't lift an IFS easily and efficiently, and especially when both IFS and solid axles are lifted, there's not gonna be a contest with regards to wheel travel... Let's say the production model comes with a 31" tire and has 10" of travel. You lift it 2-3" max - your control arm angles are gonna be shit - and you're done. Now you can fit a 35 barely, and you still have 10" of travel at best - if you don't start hitting body panels and have to bumpstop it for less travel.

Consider the same scenario in a stick axle... the further the axle is from the vehicle, the more room you have to articulate - because while one wheel goes up the other goes down. That is the advantage jeeps have, and I'm sorry that you haven't gotten to experience at least a stock rubicon on the rocks... "passing" a jeep doesn't mean shit. congrats, you've passed a vehicle that's been consistently the slowest on earth... Getting to where one goes is a whole different matter though.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F450 2018 Mustang eb premium vert, 2013 Mustang 6A, 2004 mustang gt, 2001 Jeep Cherokee, 2019 Can-Am Maverick Sport X RC
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Jesus, are we still doing the SFA vs. IFS pissing contest? There are pros and cons to each depending on the intended use. I think we've beat that poor horse into an unrecognizable pile of bloody bits.

Can we just start a separate forum category for the die hard SFA/IFS guys so they can jerk each other off there without gumming up Every. Single. Thread with "but muh SFA" and "if you don't run a SFA with 39s and drive over car sized rocks on teh Rubicon Trail, you're not a real off roader and don't deserve a BroncoBronco!!!11!"
I guess we do need a separate forum for people who enjoy neutered "offroaders" like the new Blazer.

Sponsored

PNW_Bronco94

Badlands
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess we do need a separate forum for people who enjoy neutered "offroaders" like the new Blazer.
Thanks for backing up my point. I don't need a BroncoBronco with 39s on locked 60s, so I must want a neutered Blazer-esque BroncoBronco, right? Hot take.

Don't get me wrong: I want a capable Bronco that can do anything a Wrangler can do and more, just like everyone else here. I just don't see the point in endlessly debating whether SFA > IFS. Especially since Ford has likely already decided what running gear it's going to use. It's not like Ford's engineers are watching these threads closely to get "educated" on which suspension system is "best" based on a random forum member's brother-in-law's story about how he saw an IFS rig broke down on the Rubicon or an SFA in Baja that one time.

If we were talking about which suspension might be under the BroncoBronco based on actual information, that's one thing. But going around in circles arguing about which is best in theory just to show how knowledgeable we are about SFA or IFS clogs the threads and offers no information about the actual vehicle we're all here to discuss.

Fosters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for backing up my point. I don't need a BroncoBronco with 39s on locked 60s, so I must want a neutered Blazer-esque BroncoBronco, right? Hot take.

Don't get me wrong: I want a capable Bronco that can do anything a Wrangler can do and more, just like everyone else here. I just don't see the point in endlessly debating whether SFA > IFS. Especially since Ford has likely already decided what running gear it's going to use. It's not like Ford's engineers are watching these threads closely to get "educated" on which suspension system is "best" based on a random forum member's brother-in-law's story about how he saw an IFS rig broke down on the Rubicon or an SFA in Baja that one time.

If we were talking about which suspension might be under the BroncoBronco based on actual information, that's one thing. But going around in circles arguing about which is best in theory just to show how knowledgeable we are about SFA or IFS clogs the threads and offers no information about the actual vehicle we're all here to discuss.
I don't care if the engineers, or designers, or bean counters are watching these forums or not... But to not pay attention to what your possible clients want would be a pretty dumb move. Usually the kind of moves GM makes. Don't be like GM. That's all I'm saying. Don't be another FJ, don't be another blazer. We have plenty of mall crawlers to choose from.

What gets me is the "I passed jeeps in an 86 IDI so you can do it in an IFS because sidebysides are better" type comments.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you think Ford isn't listening to their customer's on this then you're wrong. It's been confirmed that they have redesigned it multiple times to make sure they get it right. Hence the looongg wait. Also, they are well aware of the IFS vs SFA debate. The SFA fans are certainly the most vocal because a SFA is essential for the hardcore offroading that you do. However, this is a very small percentage of the market and just because SFA was what the original Bronco was doesn't mean it's the best thing for the BroncoBronco overall. I'm sure Ford has done their due diligence of researching SFA and IFS with their "clients".

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
.... at this point I just really don’t know why you’re here. . ..
The same general reason you're here, to stay abrest of Bronco news and evaluate it's potential as a vehicle that may serve my future need. I don't see how that's so hard to figure out?

What do you think this forum is for? To mindlessly adore whatever Ford offers? I'm no brand/model fanboy. I talk shit about the flaws of the Wrangler on that forum too -- and at least it is clear what those flaws are.

My purchasing decision is not hinged on one characteristic. It would have been nice if Ford clearly outdid Jeep in parameters that I value, but the balance is more messy than that.

It became crystal clear to me that a mental shift to fanboyism happened here a week ago, you don't need to remind me with "go away if you don't agree" statements. Other people might have abandoned logical personal opinions they previously held to adopt the groupthink adoration of the tribe, but that doesn't mean I have to.

Nanook

Wildtrak
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco, Galaxie, Ducati Streetfighter V4S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I mean they have no intentions of revealing what the BroncoBronco actually is.... at this point I just really don’t know why you’re here. It’s pretty clear the Bronco won’t be for you no matter what so might be time to hop over to the JK/JL forum.
That’s why we are all here. Ford hasn’t told us anything. We can speculate and we can hope that the next $50k Bronco that we have is everything we have wanted it to be since the original concept was shown over 20years ago.
If the early bronco was a wrangler competitor, the concept looked like a wrangler competitor, The tarped clay model looks like the original bronco, ford tells us they are going after Jeep...
Then there are people on here that get super excited about a non production, race ready, shares less than 25% of actual Bronco parts and sounds like complete shit concept. Polls are created for your only option if you’re either in or out. Baja Concept hints at nothing related to a wrangler competitor other than fictional size. Oh! and it’s meant to fill some imaginary market between a wrangler and a 4Runner because that is where all the money is. Derp.
I’m still excited for the new bronco and everyone agrees that Ford has been building incredible vehicles lately and won’t mess this up but there a few things Ford needs to tell me before I put down my deposit or say I’m out which is why I’m still here.

Sponsored

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
might be time to hop over to the JK/JL forum
IFS/SFA insignificant for my intended use...but it's important to a lot of folks here. The best way to solidify 'real' potential Bronco buyers is to disclose the front end & let everyone recalibrate their own interest level.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
at this point I just really don’t know why you’re here. .
I missed the forum rules that stated you had to intend to by a new bronc, no matter what, and you had to love it, no matter what.
Please direct me to that rule set..............

TeocaliMG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.brokeninnovation.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands non-sas 4 door manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can't lift an IFS easily and efficiently, and especially when both IFS and solid axles are lifted, there's not gonna be a contest with regards to wheel travel... Let's say the production model comes with a 31" tire and has 10" of travel. You lift it 2-3" max - your control arm angles are gonna be shit - and you're done. Now you can fit a 35 barely, and you still have 10" of travel at best - if you don't start hitting body panels and have to bumpstop it for less travel
I here ya, I agree with most of what you say about the rocks/SFA, luckily most of what you said about IFS is misrepresented. We can keep the technical convo going on the other thread if you want.

Also, if you think the Blazer even tried, you are not being very honest. Lets not use a strawman, heck the Blazer isn't even a strawman, I hear it's gender non-conforming

Also 2.0: What gets me is the "I passed jeeps in an 86 IDI so you can do it in an IFS because sidebysides are better" type comments. This = Joke, to point out that driving a Jeep doesn't make you less of a "trail tampon", I mean yea it actually happened but if you actually think I thought my non-overdrive 4 speed manual could outrun anything anywhere then you missed the point.

Last edited:

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I’m still excited for the new bronco and everyone agrees that Ford has been building incredible vehicles lately and won’t mess this up but there a few things Ford needs to tell me before I put down my deposit or say I’m out which is why I’m still here.
What info are you waiting for?