Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know it is a good amount of time away but, What are you doing to your Bronco in order to get ready for King Of The Hammers, Feb 2-11 2023?

I have a lift and and some lighting to upgrade to the rig. Also some camping gear shopping. Any tips and or recommendations can help everyone out.
Sponsored

WarthogJr

Black Diamond
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Dusty, dusty, dusty! Amber lights help a bit, but it's like soup at times. Some of the surrounding areas are a bit tough...even for extreme professional rock crawlers, so know your limits. Don't be "that guy" because there will already be plenty of them there again. It gets colder at night than you might think, and hot in the afternoons...bring layers. Extra gas is a good idea. And beer. It's easy to get dirty, have fun, and make friends. See you there!
Ford Bronco King Of The Hammers 2023 Prep tempImagewNmQ95

OP
OP
NewBroncoOwner

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You aren’t wrong with all those pieces of information. I did stay just behind back door last year. I may go back to the same spot again.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Dang,. I thought this thread was gonna be about getting ready to compete at KOH with yer steed??? ..oh well spectating is super fun too.

Can't wait to see some no-body-newcomer-bronco-owner compete and finish and place well!!!

mybikeisred

Wildtrak
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 Powerstroke, Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Never been, but a few friends and I are going next year to spectate and indulge in some frosty beverages (among other things). The bronco is ready, and I have all the gear I need, but I don’t really know where to set up our camp. I know last year Bronco Nation hosted a group of bronco owners. I didn’t have mine yet. I’m hoping there will be some sort of formal or informal Bronco base camp again, but I’m not locked into that idea. Any advice would be appreciated. I’m 45 and not as wild as I was in my younger days, but my friends and I are still drunk idiots who like to have a good time. Probably better off in a “not so family friendly” area, but with some other old folks whose wives let them off their leash.

Sponsored

jasonf

First Edition
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Never been, but a few friends and I are going next year to spectate and indulge in some frosty beverages (among other things). The bronco is ready, and I have all the gear I need, but I don’t really know where to set up our camp. I know last year Bronco Nation hosted a group of bronco owners. I didn’t have mine yet. I’m hoping there will be some sort of formal or informal Bronco base camp again, but I’m not locked into that idea. Any advice would be appreciated. I’m 45 and not as wild as I was in my younger days, but my friends and I are still drunk idiots who like to have a good time. Probably better off in a “not so family friendly” area, but with some other old folks whose wives let them off their leash.
Here my tips from last year
1- it gets very cold at night be prepared -a heater is a must if using a tent
2- limited cell service
3- bring your own beer , limited vendor options to purchase there.
4-the main road is in/out on weekend race days are the worst dead stop traffic -expect hours if have a rv - make a time to arrive early
5-fill up fuel before enter - they do sell vp race fuel on site
6-very windy sand is going to get everyplace

I stayed with Bronco nation camp great experience - Hope to be back again

OP
OP
NewBroncoOwner

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

The lake bed is huge!!! I camped north, a bit away from Hammertown proper, for some quiet sleeping but close enough to go in if I needed something. This year I will be utilizing the bronco as my sleeping quarters, since it gets quite chilly at night for a tent I used last year. The base camp put on by bronco nation was a bit crowded and located in the middle of the chaos. Not for me so much, but you do you if you like it. I’ll have the bronco out and about, building fires, drinking beers, shooting the shit and just hanging out. My buddy will be joining me as well this next KOH. We are in our 40s and former Military. So we just like to relax in the great outdoors. Just a heads up, get a radio setup like GMRS or Ham. There is zero cell service! And if you go to Walmart in CA, bring your own bags. They charge you 20¢ each one at the Barstow Walmart.

Mac11

First Edition
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3g Taco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

2-11? JFC why so early?

Sponsored
OP
OP
NewBroncoOwner

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Probably a scheduling situation since it is shared with 29 palms. There may be some training scheduled that conflicts with the race course

Mac11

First Edition
First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3g Taco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Probably a scheduling situation since it is shared with 29 palms. There may be some training scheduled that conflicts with the race course
nothing like making my job harder.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Having worked on the live feed production crew for 7 years now, here are some things to note.
1. You won't want to sleep in a tent. The wind can be strong enough to pivot a car hauler 90 degrees from its original orientation. Bring an RV or sleep in your vehicle. This also means no roof top tents unless you have one rated for high winds. Even then, you've been warned.
2. You will not find alcohol for sale. In 2022 there was one vendor but they were at the front gate and you could not take the alcohol outside their area.
3. Don't expect to be able to wash clothes. Bring enough so you son't have to find a laundry.
4. Bring fuel cans with you. There is typically a vendor near the front gate that sells fuel to help but they can be quite busy.
5. Drink plenty of water. If you consume alcohol, one to one ratio of alcoholic drink to bottle of water at least.
6. Cold enough to snow at night. Hot enough to wear shorts during the day.
7. Sun hat, sunglasses, and long sleeve shirts.
8. Higher altitude means you will get out of breath faster if you do not live at high altitudes.
9. Wear your seatbelt. You will get pulled over on the lake bed and ticketed.
10. Drive slowly around Hammertown. There are pets and kids everywhere.
11. Keep your pets leashed and your kids in sight.
12. Don't bring your pets if you have someone that can watch them. Just don't bring your pets. Make arrangements to not bring your pets.
13. Boone Road can get very congested. Don't make unnecessary trips on Boone Road.
14. Rain will cause the stickiest mud you have ever witnessed. Bring a strap to get pulled out.

OP
OP
NewBroncoOwner

NewBroncoOwner

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Having worked on the live feed production crew for 7 years now, here are some things to note.
1. You won't want to sleep in a tent. The wind can be strong enough to pivot a car hauler 90 degrees from its original orientation. Bring an RV or sleep in your vehicle. This also means no roof top tents unless you have one rated for high winds. Even then, you've been warned.
2. You will not find alcohol for sale. In 2022 there was one vendor but they were at the front gate and you could not take the alcohol outside their area.
3. Don't expect to be able to wash clothes. Bring enough so you son't have to find a laundry.
4. Bring fuel cans with you. There is typically a vendor near the front gate that sells fuel to help but they can be quite busy.
5. Drink plenty of water. If you consume alcohol, one to one ratio of alcoholic drink to bottle of water at least.
6. Cold enough to snow at night. Hot enough to wear shorts during the day.
7. Sun hat, sunglasses, and long sleeve shirts.
8. Higher altitude means you will get out of breath faster if you do not live at high altitudes.
9. Wear your seatbelt. You will get pulled over on the lake bed and ticketed.
10. Drive slowly around Hammertown. There are pets and kids everywhere.
11. Keep your pets leashed and your kids in sight.
12. Don't bring your pets if you have someone that can watch them. Just don't bring your pets. Make arrangements to not bring your pets.
13. Boone Road can get very congested. Don't make unnecessary trips on Boone Road.
14. Rain will cause the stickiest mud you have ever witnessed. Bring a strap to get pulled out.
Great Info! thank you for sharing and we will see you there.

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

some photos from 2022 for your enjoyment. my white Land Cruiser. the really nice pictures are too big for this forum
Ford Bronco King Of The Hammers 2023 Prep A9C97513-1705-4ED7-BFF7-2B1F13AF2786

Ford Bronco King Of The Hammers 2023 Prep 646ECB18-D43B-4AE2-8219-F7052F12CE2F

Ford Bronco King Of The Hammers 2023 Prep 3DB8A816-69B4-40EA-A5D4-EF8D6C7FD857

Ford Bronco King Of The Hammers 2023 Prep F7292A4E-FEBE-4CA2-88DA-76AB9B0B0686

Ford Bronco King Of The Hammers 2023 Prep C9265E88-516B-495D-A748-A41D23C2BE38
Sponsored

Last edited: