Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 1993 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really have no idea what my wife packed. My bag was filled mainly with hiking crap and two outfits which I wore the entire time. There was also a lot of stuff underneath the dog mat like backpacks etc. for hiking. I think for a simple road trip the two door would work just fine with two people on a dog. Iā€™m just talking more about traveling with children. But ultimately I can also just use my wifeā€™s car if weā€™re gonna take longer road trips.
My wife's car is a 2014 grand cherokee with a chief products roof rack - that's what we use if we know we're going to be packed too
Sponsored

BRBlue

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Half way through my round trip from Houston to Ouray, CO and Iā€™ve seen 2 faults. The first was when shifting on the fly from 4H to 2H while transitioning from dirt to pavement and coming to a stop. Got the service soon and driveline error warning.

Shortly after I got the check engine light and stuck wastegate warning. 14k mikes on the odometer. Towing a 2,000 lb trailer and leaving Durango tomorrow. Still driving fine so hope itā€™s just a sensor/software glitch. Check engine light is off now. Wish me luck on the drive home.

BuckYeah

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great photos of your trip. Thanks for sharing them. You really ought to move to Colorado. It is pretty amazing.

Sponsored

BottleShark

Badlands
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nautilus, Samurai, 12v Dodge, Fiero, Karma Ghia
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got done with my first long road trip in my 2DR Bronco Badlands (2.7 / Non Sas).

The summers in Texas are BRUTAL, and it was time to escape to the mountains for a week, do some hiking, and enjoy the cooler temperatures with the wife and dog.

I bought the Bronco the day the order banks opened for the 2021 model, and at that time, I wanted the purest Bronco experience, and felt the 2-door just looked too good to pass up. I also had no pregnant wife at that time, however - when embarking on this trip, I drove alone with the dog because the two-door is just too small for a long roadtrip with 2 people, bags, plus a dog. So my wife flew to Colorado, and I picked her up the next day. We needed a car because we were there for 8 days, so this was the most economical decision - plus I got to do a little off-roading - and I always enjoy my alone time.

As for my takeaways on the trip:
  • It was just over 2k miles round trip, no engine failures (thank God).
  • The hardtop was a little noisy, but I easily managed to listen to two lengthy audio books without any trouble
  • I averaged about 19-20 MPG on the highway
  • The ride was very comfortable, and I love the MGV seats. They were perfect for this trip
  • The videos below show mainly the mountain passes in Colorado because once you get outside of Austin, there is truly NOTHING remarkable about the northwest Texas landscape. It's flat and boring, and not worth showing - unless you like flat nothingness and windmills.
  • Made several pitstops along the way through New Mexico and into southern Colorado - plenty of places to let the pup out for some playtime.
  • Passed through Lubbock to Amarillo, and the far NE corner of New Mexico before stopping in Trinidad for the night in CO.
  • The prettiest part of the drive was cutting through the mountains on Route 82, through Independence Pass to Aspen. (First Video - simple beautiful)
  • Hit some rain and slick roads, but pretty much drove in standard mode the entire drive.
  • Took the Bronco up to Montezuma Basin through Pearl Pass Road in CO, almost to 11k feet, but didnt make it all the way to climb Castle Peak, because of the weather.
  • It was about 15 hours of driving each way.
Would do again, without a doubt. Except next time, I am going to allow more time for myself to climb some 14ers, and get some more off-roading in. The wife is 20 weeks pregnant, so this two-door's days are numbered before I have to get something bigger, but I truly love this vehicle, had ZERO issues along the way, and have enjoyed all 7k+ miles I have driven thus far. Can't wait to take this thing to some larger mountain passes. Colorado is such a beautiful state. Wish I could just move there.
I'll be heading to Co. from TX. for a week 25th to 29th. Going to be fun as it's getting to hot to camp in East Texas. I'll do an update on how it goes with me and wife in 2 door. Hope it's as fun as your pics make it look.

You really ought to move to Colorado. It is pretty amazing.
I can't speak for OP but for most people I know, Co. is like Ca. an amazing place to visit but no way I'm living there. Get thing about Texas is, I don't have to worry about winter and I can just visit the cool places. That way I don't have to live with crazy people or State Income Tax, lol.

Badland-Mansquatch-ATX

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL, Tesla Model S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds to me like your wife needs to get a new Four door Broncoā€¦problem solved. šŸ˜

Bo-Ronco

Badlands
First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 KR F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just got done with my first long road trip in my 2DR Bronco Badlands (2.7 / Non Sas).

The summers in Texas are BRUTAL
I just took a very similar trip to get out of Houston in my 4D Badlands Sasquatch. We went through New Mexico into Moab where we stayed for a week. Then onto Colorado. We took a lot of the same routes. It was an unforgettable trip.

steve_percy

Wildtrak
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Toyota Tundra 1794 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

The summers in Texas are BRUTAL, and it was time to escape to the mountains for a week, do some hiking, and enjoy the cooler temperatures with the wife and dog.

I bought the Bronco the day the order banks opened for the 2021 model, and at that time, I wanted the purest Bronco experience, and felt the 2-door just looked too good to pass up. I also had no pregnant wife at that time, however - when embarking on this trip, I drove alone with the dog because the two-door is just too small for a long roadtrip with 2 people, bags, plus a dog. So my wife flew to Colorado, and I picked her up the next day. We needed a car because we were there for 8 days, so this was the most economical decision - plus I got to do a little off-roading - and I always enjoy my alone time.

As for my takeaways on the trip:
  • It was just over 2k miles round trip, no engine failures (thank God).
  • The hardtop was a little noisy, but I easily managed to listen to two lengthy audio books without any trouble
  • I averaged about 19-20 MPG on the highway
  • The ride was very comfortable, and I love the MGV seats. They were perfect for this trip
  • The videos below show mainly the mountain passes in Colorado because once you get outside of Austin, there is truly NOTHING remarkable about the northwest Texas landscape. It's flat and boring, and not worth showing - unless you like flat nothingness and windmills.
  • Made several pitstops along the way through New Mexico and into southern Colorado - plenty of places to let the pup out for some playtime.
  • Passed through Lubbock to Amarillo, and the far NE corner of New Mexico before stopping in Trinidad for the night in CO.
  • The prettiest part of the drive was cutting through the mountains on Route 82, through Independence Pass to Aspen. (First Video - simple beautiful)
  • Hit some rain and slick roads, but pretty much drove in standard mode the entire drive.
  • Took the Bronco up to Montezuma Basin through Pearl Pass Road in CO, almost to 11k feet, but didnt make it all the way to climb Castle Peak, because of the weather.
  • It was about 15 hours of driving each way.
Would do again, without a doubt. Except next time, I am going to allow more time for myself to climb some 14ers, and get some more off-roading in. The wife is 20 weeks pregnant, so this two-door's days are numbered before I have to get something bigger, but I truly love this vehicle, had ZERO issues along the way, and have enjoyed all 7k+ miles I have driven thus far. Can't wait to take this thing to some larger mountain passes. Colorado is such a beautiful state. Wish I could just move there.

Enjoy the pics & video. Wish I could have grabbed more of Pearl Pass Rd. Such a cool place.

Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_20220709_103634535_HDR

(Departure - Austin, TX)
Ford Bronco Mountain Adventure - Texas to Colorado (and Back) IMG_20220709_103634535_HDR

(Packed, ready to go)

High Five (Feel free to grill me for taking this photo going over 70 ;)

(Texas panhandle = meh)

(Had to, when in Rome)

(Lucky 7, k)

(Drive Through Independence Pass)

(Drive through Tennessee Pass)
Love it,, thanks! And great tracks. But I'm going to have to write you a speeding ticket...after I take some Dramamine.

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Half way through my round trip from Houston to Ouray, CO and Iā€™ve seen 2 faults. The first was when shifting on the fly from 4H to 2H while transitioning from dirt to pavement and coming to a stop. Got the service soon and driveline error warning.

Shortly after I got the check engine light and stuck wastegate warning. 14k mikes on the odometer. Towing a 2,000 lb trailer and leaving Durango tomorrow. Still driving fine so hope itā€™s just a sensor/software glitch. Check engine light is off now. Wish me luck on the drive home.
At the Bronco Off-Roadeo, I was instructed to stop and put it in Neutral before shifting into 4H, 2H, etc. and to never shift "on the fly" while I was moving. This was new to me, especially since I can shift my Suzuki from 2H to AWD on the fly. I actually wrote it down so I wouldn't forget it.

Sponsored

chtucker

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I lived in Leadville for 15 years, 6 of those I daily commuted over Tennessee Pass/Battle Mountain.

Leadville to Aspen on 82, over McClure Pass to Crawford, down through the Black Canyon to Gunnisom, up to Almont then to Buena Vista via Cottonwood pass. This is the most EPIC trip in Colorado. I have done it on an adventure bike when Cottonwood wasn't paved.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

OP
OP
TyGuy40

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I lived in Leadville for 15 years, 6 of those I daily commuted over Tennessee Pass/Battle Mountain.

Leadville to Aspen on 82, over McClure Pass to Crawford, down through the Black Canyon to Gunnisom, up to Almont then to Buena Vista via Cottonwood pass. This is the most EPIC trip in Colorado. I have done it on an adventure bike when Cottonwood wasn't paved.
That is awesome. I think I went through Leadville on my way back from Aspen /Snowmass. I just had to make a pit stop in Eagle to drop off some cargo. But Im taking note of this. These drives are incredible. What bike did you use? KTM? BMW? Honda? - I bet that was amazing.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You guys are making me miss Colorado and specifically that area. Before college, I lived and worked for two years in Aspen/Snowmass, to get residency for in state tuition, and went back to visit friends while in school in Boulder and a few times after too. I loved it up there and working for Ski Co at the Snowmass Lodge and Club was an awesome time in my life with many great stories and experiences.

I could spends weeks playing in a Bronco up there and around and down to the four corners area. We once drove a 2WD Blazer, top off and left at home, from Aspen to Monument/Grand Junction on dirt back roads almost the whole way with the exception of crossing paved roads a few times and maybe a bridge too.

I spent seven years in Colorado and loved it all, the Rocky Mountains were my second home and are a favorite of mine. I just had too many friends and family back in CA and with aging parents I returned to SoCal.

But I'm lucky to have the Sierra Nevada Mountains a few hours away. And Johnson's Valley, and...

I can't wait to get my Bronco, BUT I'm OK with having to waiting until the fall. I'm still hoping for a MY22 but since I'm having shoulder surgeries, right side first on the 19th, I'm good with not getting my manual Bronco for a few months.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

(Drive Through Independence Pass)
great write up, videos and pics! I'm curious, in this video - what did you use to get the map showing your location AND the hyperlapse info??
Sponsored