First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So this morning I went the nearest ford dealership and test drove both the Ranger 2.3 with lift kit and 35s and F150 2.7

Ranger 2.3 (lift and 35s) - so there is already a thread on this but I will state it again. The 2.3 is no slouch, when you want it to go it will go at a relatively quick pace. The 10 speed on a barely 100 mile truck was searching for gears but with automatic transmissions these day they have a thing that is call shift mapping that will map out a shift pattern based on your driving pattern, terrain, and variety of conditions. I really didn't notice that it was trying to look gears until I really focused on trying to notice it. Just let it do its thing and you will be just fine.

With the 35s and lift kit, the steering was not as responsive and required a little bit more input, the body roll was increased, and acceleration was decreased. I WANT TO BE CLEAR, I only drove a ranger with the big tires and lift kit, the 2.3 will still get up and go, I was still impressed.

F150 2.7 - ITS QUICK. I chose to try this because of the weight comparison and I see people worrying about weight, so I decided to go with the big one. From a stand still, its quick! At highway speeds, its quick. The salesman told me that when its pulling a fully loaded trailer at max capacity at 8300lbs for the 2.7 F150, it will do it but you will notice it. (Max towing for the Bronco is 3500lbs, so really no worries)
-EDIT: THE SALESMAN WAS ONLY TALKING ABOUT THE 2.7 OPTION ON THE F150. The 3.5 fully loaded at 11,000 lbs you really won't have any issues or notice as much you will with the fully loaded 2.7 at 8,300 lbs.-

My so my conclusion is that if you get the 2.3, it'll up and go for you in quick haste, with taller tires is when you will notice a performance drop because that's how real life works but it will be just fine. If you get a 2.7, you shouldn't worry about speed and power ever.
Sponsored

Last edited:

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You should drive a 3.5EB in the f150 then. My super crew w/ 6" lift and 35s flat out hauls a** and I regularly run it at elevations 5300-12000.

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You should drive a 3.5EB in the f150 then. My super crew w/ 6" lift and 35s flat out hauls a** and I regularly run it at elevations 5300-12000.
Did you lift the truck yourself or get it done somewhere. Not a loaded question just looking for a good shop for the truck.

OP
OP
FireSquatch

FireSquatch

Black Diamond
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Accord
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I didn't want to bother him too much because I wasn't there to buy a vehicle nor do I have a bronco reservation through them. He did say that the fully loaded 3.5 does a lot better and you won't notice the load as much. He did also say that when you life a truck, you cut the towing capacity in half. I does make sense when you think about it, but I don't have experience driving after market lifted vehicles.

I did post an edit to my OP to clarify that I was only talking about the 2.7.

Sponsored

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm assuming that is with 3.73 rear too?

Weld3z

Outer Banks
First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Fast search, found that F150 is lighter than Bronco !!
Correct me if I'm wrong

attworth

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Land Rover D2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Something to keep in mind is the Ranger likely had 3.73’s in it. A bronco with 35’s and the 2.3 should be on 4.70’s with the Sasquatch. That’s going to be a pretty major difference (positively) in acceleration.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fast search, found that F150 is lighter than Bronco !!
Correct me if I'm wrong
My ‘17 f150 supercrew w/ 3.5, lariat fx4 with almost every option possible, 6” lift, 35” MT tires, 20” wheels w/ full size matching spare, trifold tonneau cover, full tank of gas (36gallons) weighs exactly 5700lbs on the cat scales without me in it.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm assuming that is with 3.73 rear too?
Not sure who you’re referring to, but mine mentioned above with the 3.5 has 3.55 gears and the 10speed with the max tow package.

Sponsored

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Did you lift the truck yourself or get it done somewhere. Not a loaded question just looking for a good shop for the truck.
Typically I would do the work myself if it were a jeep, as Ive done many, but I bought it 8mos old with 2k miles on it from a big truck shop down in Dallas that buys low mileage trucks, lifts them, throws on new tires and wheels and resells.

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So this morning I went the nearest ford dealership and test drove both the Ranger 2.3 with lift kit and 35s and F150 2.7

Ranger 2.3 (lift and 35s) - so there is already a thread on this but I will state it again. The 2.3 is no slouch, when you want it to go it will go at a relatively quick pace. The 10 speed on a barely 100 mile truck was searching for gears but with automatic transmissions these day they have a thing that is call shift mapping that will map out a shift pattern based on your driving pattern, terrain, and variety of conditions. I really didn't notice that it was trying to look gears until I really focused on trying to notice it. Just let it do its thing and you will be just fine.

With the 35s and lift kit, the steering was not as responsive and required a little bit more input, the body roll was increased, and acceleration was decreased. I WANT TO BE CLEAR, I only drove a ranger with the big tires and lift kit, the 2.3 will still get up and go, I was still impressed.

F150 2.7 - ITS QUICK. I chose to try this because of the weight comparison and I see people worrying about weight, so I decided to go with the big one. From a stand still, its quick! At highway speeds, its quick. The salesman told me that when its pulling a fully loaded trailer at max capacity at 8300lbs for the 2.7 F150, it will do it but you will notice it. (Max towing for the Bronco is 3500lbs, so really no worries)
-EDIT: THE SALESMAN WAS ONLY TALKING ABOUT THE 2.7 OPTION ON THE F150. The 3.5 fully loaded at 11,000 lbs you really won't have any issues or notice as much you will with the fully loaded 2.7 at 8,300 lbs.-

My so my conclusion is that if you get the 2.3, it'll up and go for you in quick haste, with taller tires is when you will notice a performance drop because that's how real life works but it will be just fine. If you get a 2.7, you shouldn't worry about speed and power ever.
I'm currently on the fence of which engine to inevitably go with, I wouldn't mind more power from the 2.7L however I'm only considering the 2.3L but only because of the manual option. I was considering test driving the Ranger and the F-150 with the 2.7L to see how they would perform before making my decision (I understand you weren't behind the wheel of a stock Ranger btw). There would be obvious variables like the weight differences and with the Ranger there's no manual to test drive and with the F-150 as well. For context I reserved a two door and concerned it would feel under powered with the 2.3L regardless of which transmission.

I'm not sure based on your time behind the wheels of both vehicles and whether it changes your mind on what option to get. Did this change or confirm your decision on what engine you would get in your Bronco?

Bison

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fj cruiser, Power wagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Typically I would do the work myself if it were a jeep, as Ive done many, but I bought it 8mos old with 2k miles on it from a big truck shop down in Dallas that buys low mileage trucks, lifts them, throws on new tires and wheels and resells.
Yeah I did my own on my Fj but the truck barely fits in the garage and the driveway is as steep as a ski slope. I will find a shop sooner or later.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not sure who you’re referring to, but mine mentioned above with the 3.5 has 3.55 gears and the 10speed with the max tow package.
Ranger 2.3 w/35's. Most bronco's will be geared significantly lower. Meaning even better performance.

TOWMA8R

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ECOBOOST F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Remember,the 4-door and 35's with a 2.3 will not be as quick as the ranger 2.3 with 35's,,,,,, more so loaded with people and options. I will say, if you can tune it, it will help. I do agree with you, it will not be a slow dog........ I I was getting a 3-door, the 2.3 would be fine...... the 2.7 in a 2-door, will get it!

But the 4 door with the 2.7, will get up....... no doubt
Sponsored