Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sorry for the delayed reply, I didn't get this alert for some reason.

You tap into the Yellow +12v that feeds the dome light's push-button switch to power the relay. You can do this with Scotch taps, but I prefer to solder. Then you need to back-feed 12v to the relay switched side to power your lights. The accessory circuit only stays hot for <30 mins after the vehicle is dormant, so you have zero parasitic draw from the relay when the truck is parked.

You need a ground for your lights and for the control side of the relay - I just soldered into the harness ground since it's right there.

Wire the red 12v lead from your lights to the NO point on the relay switched side, and now you have a light sensing relay triggering your LEDs.

I drilled a hole in the side of the dome light housing (black plastic) to insert the light sensor into the light housing in the cavity next to the LED on the circuit board and the lens/reflector that holds that circuit board and the dome light switch in the housing when the clear lens is in place (stick a razor blade next to that lens and pry it out - there's 4 little tabs holding it all together). Glue the sensor in place with something, I used Goop, and reassemble.

I wrapped the relay in electric tape to make sure there were no shorts, and tie-wrapped it to the other wires going across the roll bar. There's plenty of space for it under that center cover.
Hey man, appreciate the response

I kind of wanna tackle this just not sure on cracking open the dome light housing.

I guess in theory this light sensing relay would work anywhere it can sense the dome light (and have power when the dome light is on?)
Sponsored

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hey man, appreciate the response

I kind of wanna tackle this just not sure on cracking open the dome light housing.

I guess in theory this light sensing relay would work anywhere it can sense the dome light (and have power when the dome light is on?)
The problem is sunlight becomes an issue.

Opening the light is cake.

Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style PXL_20220311_011115529

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
These tabs are all that hold the guts in.

Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style PXL_20220311_011115529~2

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The problem is sunlight becomes an issue.

Opening the light is cake.

PXL_20220311_011115529.jpg

Hey @Just_Jim, ok thanks for clarifying. So, after getting in my Bronco and looking around , I now understand this is the dome light over the rear cross member.....for some reason I thought you had tapped into the front dome.

When you removed this, did you have to entirely take off the whole cross member trim panel to get the dome light out ?

So, in this photo, is the middle piece there (what I have circled) the relay?

Also, me looking around raised question:

when you open the front doors (or rear doors in a 4 door, ALL THREE dome lights turn on), but when you open the rear gate, only the rear dome light comes on....so, would it make sense to tap into the rear dome light so that no matter what you open (door or tailgate) the extra lights always come on?

EDIT:

Nevermind, I see from your earlier post this is the board for the dome light. The relay is blue.

Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style IMG_3853

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I tapped the rear crossmember light and removed the whole panel as I ran wires to each side from there. The lights always come on with any door.

I took the light housing out of the trim piece after lowering and disconnecting the harness, as the spring clips holding that sucker are strong. It's much easier to depress them from the back and push the light housing through to the front than trying to pry from the front.

I also added lights to the crossmember trim panel, which required removal for drilling.

Sponsored

doccoch

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great job on this project. ALWAYS a solution.

doccoch

Badlands
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 1967 Mustang Fastback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think I may leave my soft top bar clamp lights on and still go "Jim-style" when I get a weekend.

Fathom

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen II Ford Raptor, '22 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I found a relay on Amazon that will latch off the PWM LID bus signal. We can go straight solid state at last. 😎

ELECTRONICS-SALON Panel Mount Momentary-Switch/Pulse-Signal Control Latching SPDT Relay Module,12V https://a.co/d/g7GNRWE
I've been following your write up for this "problem" with rapt attention! I can't wait to see how this new LIN relay works out. You demonstrate admirable perseverance!

Designkid

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I found a relay on Amazon that will latch off the PWM LID bus signal. We can go straight solid state at last. 😎

ELECTRONICS-SALON Panel Mount Momentary-Switch/Pulse-Signal Control Latching SPDT Relay Module,12V https://a.co/d/g7GNRWE
Whenever you get a chance to do a quick writeup/diagram using this one, I and probably many people be very appreciated

Sponsored

skierx728

Outer Banks
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is a motion sensitive dome on them. I put a little tiny piece of black photo tape towards the front of it so me or a passenger can’t set them off. Put the clear dome towards the back.

Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style IMG_3853
I'm trying these as well... I used 3m heavy duty double sided tape to try and stick this to the plastic on the roll bar (for the rear cargo area) but it keeps falling off (won't stick to the plastic) anyone have any suggestions on best adhesive to use? or better mounting it elsewhere?

Roll Sound

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wildtrack 2DR MIC OW, 2014 KTM RC8R
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm trying these as well... I used 3m heavy duty double sided tape to try and stick this to the plastic on the roll bar (for the rear cargo area) but it keeps falling off (won't stick to the plastic) anyone have any suggestions on best adhesive to use? or better mounting it elsewhere?
You can use an adhesive accelerator prep first, or rubbing alcohol, but careful it doesn't haze out the soft plastic. I personally prepped with 85% ACL and used just a little bit of 1" velcro.

vtracsd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You connect the dome light circuit to the pulsed trigger input, and the power to a switched +12v so that it's only active when the accessory circuit is on to not drain the battery. Then you jumper that switched +12v over to the NO side of the relay and connect your lights positive side to the other and ground them as usual.

Clear as mud?
Does this look right? I'm not sure about the ground next to PUL.

Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style PWM Dome Diagram.PNG

vtracsd

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, but you have an extra ground.
Yes, but you have an extra ground.
Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style PWM Dome Diagram2.PNG

Is this diagram right? I tried hooking it up like this and the relay flips back and forth. For the PUL terminal, I used the middle yellow green wire from the cargo light. It's the wire that gives off ~11.5v. The other yellow wire measures ~12.4v.

Ford Bronco Additional dome lighting, Jim style IMG_1604-large
Sponsored