Sponsored

Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?)

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Question for the OP and folks with this issue. Is the vehicle still drivable?

I guess the radio is out as well as backup camera, and navi. You won't know what your temp set point is but you can still control the HVAC. Asking in case I experience the same.
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I guess the radio is out as well as backup camera, and navi. You won't know what your temp set point is but you can still control the HVAC. Asking in case I experience the same.
Vehicle is still drivable. IP cluster works, and climate controls work. Just the 12” screen is out, which means no radio, SiriusXM, Apple CarPlay apps, or cameras are working.

OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

It's still drivable, and depending on how much you mind a tech-free, dead-quiet ride, I'm sure some people will get nearly full enjoyment out of it even without the Sync4 system. I'm a 2021, so I have the temp indicators on the AC knobs, but it is otherwise as you described. As a person who enjoys music while driving, it's a bummer to be down the radio. No nav sucks too, but I can live without the cameras. So I guess my answer is yes, certainly drivable, but depending on your tastes, the amount of fun you have driving it may be diminished. (This isn't to speak to the safety impact of losing the cameras and heads-up nav, which again I'm sure varies person to person.)

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

It's still drivable, and depending on how much you mind a tech-free, dead-quiet ride, I'm sure some people will get nearly full enjoyment out of it even without the Sync4 system. I'm a 2021, so I have the temp indicators on the AC knobs, but it is otherwise as you described. As a person who enjoys music while driving, it's a bummer to be down the radio. No nav sucks too, but I can live without the cameras. So I guess my answer is yes, certainly drivable, but depending on your tastes, the amount of fun you have driving it may be diminished. (This isn't to speak to the safety impact of losing the cameras and heads-up nav, which again I'm sure varies person to person.)
Thanks. For me it is a just in case.

Mine is 2022, but is currently being repaired after someone hit me. I've been living without it since May 5th, and expect that it will be another 1-2 months. Once I get it back, I'll be willing to put up with quite a bit if I can still drive it.

OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Mine is 2022, but is currently being repaired after someone hit me. I've been living without it since May 5th, and expect that it will be another 1-2 months. Once I get it back, I'll be willing to put up with quite a bit if I can still drive it.
I'm really sorry to hear that, and I'm glad you're alright. I hope you have it back soon, and that yours is one of the many, many out there without this issue. Situations like yours (and pretty much every other thing going on in the world) are a worthy reminder that this frustration is relatively minor in the grand scheme of things.

Sponsored

guest001

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks. I checked fuse #31 visibly and electrically, and it looked fine and passed a continuity test. Then I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery and reconnected over an hour later with no success. 🤨

My next step will be to disconnect and reconnect C210 under the dash behind the right-hand cowl trim panel. If that doesn’t fix it, it will have to be dealt with by a dealer. 🤷‍♂️
When I replaced the fuse on my Escape visually it looked fine, it wasn't broken or burnt, but I didn't test it. I left it out, drove to Napa (about 10 Min) and bought a box of 5 fuses for $3. Installed one of the new ones in the Napa parking lot. When I went around and opened the driver door, the screen came back on. No reason why this would fix your issue (you and OP issues seem more serious) but for $3 it's worth a shot to just replace the fuse(s) instead of having to go to the dealer. Good luck I hope it gets resolved sooner rather than later.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did you ever get any resolution on this issue?

My 12” screen is also out. Nothing is working except the IP display above the steering column and the climate controls. Nothing on the big screen — nav, radio, Sirius XM, cameras — not even the backup camera in reverse.

I started the engine and turned it off several times, drove a bit around town to run some errands, and nothing seems to re-start it.

My next check will be to look for a blown fuse or loose connector under the dash and then disconnect the battery. 🤷‍♂️
Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s screen concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s screen concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?
No.

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think mine has fallen prey to the same issue.

This morning (7/16) my family piled in, I started the engine, and the 12" screen just stayed black.

Same issues as described above on this thread:
  • Car is driveable.
  • No phone, radio, nav, Google apps, backup camera or anything else that depends on the 12" system. Notably, I could not even use the steering wheel buttons to initiate a phone call.
  • USB charging port near the gear shift provided no power. However, the wireless charging pad did provide power.
  • Systems on the dashboard display seem to be functional, including seatbelt monitoring, engine gauges, tire pressure, mpg, trip odometer and others.
I have a service appointment for the 25th. Will post whatever I learn then, and in the mean time will check for fuse issues.

Update 2022-07-18:
  • Just tried a "System Reset" where you hold volume/power and next track buttons for 10+ seconds, and that didn't help. A "Master Reset" requires that you use the display interface to do it so that wasn't possible to attempt.
  • The USB charger near the windshield does work. The one down below does not. Odd. Probably because the down-below one is also signal. Now I'm wondering if there are smartphone viruses designed to infect Sync 4 systems, and thinking I won't let any passengers use those ports anymore.

Last edited:
OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This morning my family piled in, I started the engine, and the 12" screen just stayed black.

• Car is driveable.
  • No phone, radio, nav, Google apps, backup camera or anything else that depends on the 12" system. Notably, I could not even use the steering wheel buttons to initiate a phone call.
  • USB charging port near the gear shift provided no power. However, the wireless charging pad did provide power.
  • Systems on the dashboard display seem to be functional, including seatbelt monitoring, engine gauges, tire pressure, mpg, trip odometer and others.
I have a service appointment for the 25th. Will post whatever I learn then, and in the mean time will check for fuse issues.
This is pretty much exactly how mine went. I haven’t checked the charging pad but I’m sure it’ll match with yours. Extremely disappointing and frustrating. Still hearing from the dealer it’s back ordered with no ETA for mine. Ford’s account on was obviously useless, and there customer service only tells me that the dealer is my primary contact and that they should tell me when it’s in stock. Good luck with yours, keep us posted.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

This morning (7/16) my family piled in, I started the engine, and the 12" screen just stayed black.

• Car is driveable.

Update 2022-07-18:
  • Just tried a "System Reset" where you hold volume/power and next track buttons for 10+ seconds, and that didn't help. A "Master Reset" requires that you use the display interface to do it so that wasn't possible to attempt.
  • The USB charger near the windshield does work. The one down below does not. Odd. Probably because the down-below one is also signal. Now I'm wondering if there are smartphone viruses designed to infect Sync 4 systems, and thinking I won't let any passengers use those ports anymore.
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

DirtMountainMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I had the same problem. I took a couple months for parts but according to the service paperwork the dealer replaced APIM "replaced the LVDS cable and FCDIM". Screen has been good ever since. The quality of anything electronic is going to be more suspect for a long time. It's frustrating but I'm not going to write off any future Ford purchase because of a bad screen.

Last edited:

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs