Sponsored

Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?)

OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My experience with them when my vehicle died was very different. YMMV I suppose.
That’s good to hear. It’s obviously not as serious as the car being dead (annoying though it is) so maybe there’s some prioritization that happens.
Sponsored

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to check fuse 46 under the hood (SYNC module), and fuse 31 under the dash. I was recently experimenting with GOAT modes (using a modified Baja as a sport mode) and I'm wondering if that may have knocked out #31 on mine.

OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had the same problem. I took a couple months for parts but the dealer replaced APIM and cable. Screen has been good ever since. The quality of anything electronic is going to be more suspect for a long time. It's frustrating but I'm not going to write off any future Ford purchase because of a bad screen.
Your point is well taken. Can I ask when that was, if only to try and gauge lag time on my own parts?

DirtMountainMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Service ticket was in March. "Replaced FCDIM ad LVDS cable". Not the APIM as I mistakenly posted earlier. Mine was the 8" screen.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had my APIM replaced earlier this year for a more minor issue (phone no longer connected automatically), took about two months to get it. Not that that means much if some chip is now missing.
As for radio/music, have you tried the talk button on the steering wheel? Does anything happen when you press it or is it dead too? Otherwise you can tell the car to play spottify etc. Might now work if something is really fried, figured worth a try. Driving w/o music is no fun, get a blutooth speaker for the mean time, handy to have at other times too.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm going to check fuse 46 under the hood (SYNC module), and fuse 31 under the dash. I was recently experimenting with GOAT modes (using a modified Baja as a sport mode) and I'm wondering if that may have knocked out #31 on mine.
Yeah, I checked fuse #46 in the Under Hood Fuse Box, too, but it was fine and my screen is still dead. I have a service appointment scheduled with my dealer this Friday.

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It wasn't fuse 46. I still want to check fuse 31 under the dash, but I think that would have other noticeable effects so not holding my breath.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Hi there. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.
Maybe I missed it, have you ever posted a single solution for the any of the Bronco issues that are common to many?

Why are all Ford communications done in secret?

skhubbard93

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe I missed it, have you ever posted a single solution for the any of the Bronco issues that are common to many?

Why are all Ford communications done in secret?
It's not about posting a solution (at least not necessarily). What they do is shepherd issues along, and sometimes more.

In my previous case, a central intra-vehicle communications module (I don't remember the name of the part) failed and the whole vehicle was basically dead. No engine, no display, no dash, nothing. Battery was fine. The fix required a new module. Ford shipped one out, and FedEx managed to lose it. So in my case the Ford customer service people helped coordinate with the dealer and Ford parts shipping to send a second one.

Without Ford customer service getting involved, I likely could have enjoyed waiting for Parts, Dealer, FedEx and FedEx insurance provider to bicker about who was responsible for paying for a second one, how to verify that the first was indeed lost and not merely hidden, etc.

My dealer got me back on the road as quickly as they could. The FMC people asking for DMs with VINs are trying to help with that. That's all.

I think a good counterpoint for this is my experience with my other vehicle. The battery died after the car sat in the garage for a few days. Other owners experienced the same. BMW denied the problem and tried to claim that we were using the car improperly. The problem kept happening. Owners bought new batteries, paid for towing, and IIRC a few even had to get new alternators due to overheating when trying to charge a nearly-empty battery. Eventually BMW figured out that the relay to turn off the phone charger power supply when the car was off was getting stuck in the "on" position and draining the battery in a matter of a couple of days. They replaced them all under warranty. They also gave owners a plug-in trickle charger, I suppose to help those among us who kept their cars as garage queens.

Frankly, I'll take this FMC social media treatment over that BMW treatment any day.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a service appointment scheduled with my dealer this Friday.
I’m at my service appointment now, and the technician’s diagnostic tests confirmed that my Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) is dead.

The service write-up says the following:

“3050 Verified customer concern. Checked for DTC’s and found U0253 in multiple modules. Found SSM 50148. Checked connector and connector was seated properly. No issues with connector found. APIM failed network communication. Conducted PPT J. PPT J resulting in replacement of APIM.”

No ETA at present. The module is back-ordered nationally, but direct-shipped from the vendor, so there is no inventory tracking within the Ford system. It could take anywhere from days to months for delivery.

My service advisor said he would contact me when it comes in, so we can schedule an appointment for the installation.

Since it’s covered under the factory warranty, there was no charge (“N/C” on the service write-up) for the service visit.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

craigk724

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m at my service appointment now, and the technician’s diagnostic tests confirmed that my Accessory Protocol Interface Module (APIM) is dead.

“3050 Verified customer concern. Checked for DTC’s and found U0253 in multiple modules. Found SSM 50148. Checked connector and connector was seated properly. No issues with connector found. APIM failed network communication. Conducted PPT J. PPT J resulting in replacement of APIM.”

No ETA at present. The module is back-ordered nationally, but direct-shipped from the vendor, so there is no inventory tracking within the Ford system. It could take anywhere from days to months for delivery.

My service advisor said he would contact me when it comes in, so we can schedule an appointment for the installation.

Since it’s covered under the factory warranty, there was no charge (“N/C” on the service write-up) for the service visit.
Sorry to hear. Welcome to the club. To the extent you haven't and need to, contact Ford customer service by phone and get it escalated to whoever their second line of reps is to get a rental car approved. I had one approved but haven't yet had the need to rent one, but I'm sure others might.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to hear. Welcome to the club. To the extent you haven't and need to, contact Ford customer service by phone and get it escalated to whoever their second line of reps is to get a rental car approved. I had one approved but haven't yet had the need to rent one, but I'm sure others might.
Thanks, but I’ll be fine without a rental in the interim. When my fuel pump died, I took advantage of the free, 10-day rental my dealer offered (courtesy of Ford, because of the warranty repair), but this time the vehicle is largely functional without the APIM, minus a few modern conveniences.

I’ll leave the limited rental car pool for others who really need them.

Last edited:

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well my screen died this afternoon. Oddly the back up camera works and the radio station I had it on still plays, adjusts volume but that's it.

This sucks.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well my screen died this afternoon. Oddly the back up camera works and the radio station I had it on still plays, adjusts volume but that's it.

This sucks.
Hello, Randy! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist. Thanks!

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

While I am waiting on an ETA for the replacement part for the failed Accessory Protocol Interface Module ("SYNC Module [APIM]"), I have been digging into the removal and installation procedures in the Workshop Manual (WSM), hoping it won't be too invasive (e.g., easy access, plug & play from below the dash). Silly me! :cautious:

At first glance, it appears to be simple -- a 2-page procedure, involving 6 connectors, 3 bolts, and Bob's your uncle (See 'SYNC Module APIM - Removal and Installation' below).

But then I notice the little hyperlink below circled in red...

Ford Bronco Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?) SYNC Module APIM - Removal and Installation

... and I click through to find a 16-page procedure involving the disassembly of most of the dash to gain access to the 12-inch screen, behind which lies the SYNC 4 APIM (See 'Center Display Screen - Removal and Installation' below)! :eek:

But wait, it gets better...

When I searched for the actual SYNC 4 APIM part, I find that it retails for $639.55 (MSRP)...

Ford Bronco Serious Tech Issue - 12 Inch Touchscreen blacked out / bricked (by software update?) SYNC 4 APIM Replacement Part

Needless to say, I'm glad this is going to be a warranty replacement, and the total expected cost to replace, including parts and labor, is starting to reinforce the potential value of purchasing an extended warranty, which I have not yet done.
Sponsored

Attachments