Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wtf.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The more I look at the option list and pricing the more I’m starting to lean toward a OB or BL sport. Option rich & saving me some $$. I have no intention to off road pretty much ever lol. But I lovvvvvvve the 2dr look. Just isn’t all that practical for me at this point.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm going to be driving mine over curb/parking stops at the mall and maniacally laughing.

ALSO planning on taking the kids to drive-on beaches on Cape Cod and other places in New england.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My BL/2.7/Sas is going to be a DD for the wife, the family “suv”, and the fun weekender. It’s going to be everything. In Washington there are plenty of remote places I’ve taken my Ranger that I would’ve rather had a little more capability and a little more space in the vehicle. I will probably take it all over the west coast/Rockies and do camping trips, hunting trips, and fun stuff outdoors. Planning a Moab trip and maybe the Rubicon in a year or two.

Sponsored

scotts418

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 392
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
With all this discussion of trims, options, and prices, There's a lot of hamsters running around in peoples heads thinking about what they're going to go with. I see people asking questions about should I get (insert) trim with these options or this trim with these options. Now this is good, we're thinking about what we want to spend our hard earned money on, but lets take a minute and think about our needs and intended use of the Bronco.

Now I'm not trying to bash anyone here, but lets be honest with ourselves. How many of us are going to spend $50k-$60k on a totally optioned out off-road trim and go out to the trails to beat on it like it's a 30 year old Toyota? For a lot of people this will be their first off-road vehicle, and off-road has many different definitions depending on who you are. We all might have intentions of going to Rubicon or Moab to tackle the toughest trails, but in reality fire roads and mild dirt trails that sedans can get by on will probably be the extent for the average person. Now before you hardcore off-roaders flip tables, yes I'm aware there are some people out there that will push the limits, but they will most likely be a small majority.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying what they want, just trying to start a discussion about what YOUR intended use and needs are and how they align with the trim/options you have in mind.
Just had this discussion with family. I would bet the stock suspension and wheels are more than enough for 95% of our uses, so something like big bend or outer banks is plenty. But it’s that 5% or less that is driving us to spend $50k+ instead of getting a Hyundai palisade or Toyota Highlander.

I just think the bigger tires and lift look a lot better, so that’s most of my reasoning.

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

rkj__

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra, Countryman, RZR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'll start by saying that the usage I intended when I bought my first 4x4 did not fully match what I ended up using it for.

My first truck was a 2008 4x4 GMC Canyon. When I bought it, I was 22, single, and living with my parents. I wanted a truck because I thought they were cool, and I wanted the bed for hauling a dirty mountain bike, stinky hockey gear, and a short kayak. I had no plans to go off road, haul building materials, or tow RVs.

Well, when I got that truck, I drove around looking for any unpaved, unmaintained road I could find. I went offroading with some groups, and put a Skyjacker lift kit under it.

Later, I got married, and bought a house. Did I max out the payload on a home depot run? Yup. Did I haul drywall, and sod? Yup.

A little later after that, we bought a small teardrop travel trailer, and towed that everywhere we could.

So, my point is, that sometimes you grow into your vehicle's abilities in one way or another. Your intended use at purchase, may not exactly match your actual use 6 years after purchase.

Oh, and If we get a Bronco, it will be my wife's daily driver. It could potentially do some towing duty depending on passenger needs. Off road, would be a big TBD. Past experience suggests I will be inclined to go play with it. Any solo runs would be conservative, but if I happen to meet up with a local Bronco / off road group, I just might put it though it's paces.

Bullitt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2001 Bullitt Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm an ultra-runner here in Colorado. When I'm not running the trails, the Bronco will get me to and from those trails. I'll also enjoy taking the Bronco on many of those same mountain trails to include Imogene Pass. It's gonna be the perfect vehicle for me.

Imogenepr.jpg

Sponsored

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Just over the road
Then passed down to my daughter when she turns 16
I hope she is not near by to 16 already as you gotta enjoy it first. I will not be letting my Son drive until he is 18, as he is already 8 and its too early for me to give it off by 16, coz I want to enjoy it first.

Fuzion2Bronco

Base
First Name
Asher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I always wanted to do this with my friends but at that time my Dad never got an open top. Now I can do it with my Kids. ?

GK6G

Badlands
First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, '16 Merc Sprinter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is always a good discussion, and I especially like the distinction the Overland Journal guys always make between "need" and "want". The fact of the matter is cars are fun, but no matter where you go, some guy has probably gone the same place in his camry.

So then we get into discussions about safety margins, and capability, and etc... Living in the high country of Colorado comes with some surprises, and I work as a Paramedic, Avalanche Forecaster, Search and Rescue Responder and Ski Guide. I might be in the minority you talk about, as I travel mountain roads everyday. But, I can also say, like the guy in his Camry, I could probably do it all in a Subaru Outback. So there is likely a even mix of want and need in my Bronco enthusiasm.

For instance, last weekend, almost every east/west route in Colorado's Central Mountains was closed by wildfire and vehicle crashes. We abandoned our usual overland vehicle, a 4x4 Mercedes sprinter camper, and loaded our stuff into the Grand Cherokee. I crept over Hagerman Pass at 11,925 feet, and snuck into the Roaring Fork Valley the back way. We then went over McClure, Kebler and Cottonwood Passes which could all be done in a Camry as well.

What was fun, was knowing we had the margins to deal with whatever the adventure presented. The Mercedes is great to camp in, but would not have made the 12 miles of low range 4x4 trail on Hagerman Pass.

So I can say I will likely spend ~90% of my miles on pavement, but the other 10% wouldn't even be possible without the proper vehicle.

Am I an Off Roader? Not really. Am I an Overlander? Absolutely. It's the possibility that makes the capability worth it for me. Waiting to order an Badlands (4dr,Lux).

Ford Bronco Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use IMG_3624
Ford Bronco Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use Screen Shot 2020-08-23 at 6.54.43 PM

Overland Bound on Overlanding

Overland Journal on Overlanding

privateer35

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2021
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With all this discussion of trims, options, and prices, There's a lot of hamsters running around in peoples heads thinking about what they're going to go with. I see people asking questions about should I get (insert) trim with these options or this trim with these options. Now this is good, we're thinking about what we want to spend our hard earned money on, but lets take a minute and think about our needs and intended use of the Bronco.

Now I'm not trying to bash anyone here, but lets be honest with ourselves. How many of us are going to spend $50k-$60k on a totally optioned out off-road trim and go out to the trails to beat on it like it's a 30 year old Toyota? For a lot of people this will be their first off-road vehicle, and off-road has many different definitions depending on who you are. We all might have intentions of going to Rubicon or Moab to tackle the toughest trails, but in reality fire roads and mild dirt trails that sedans can get by on will probably be the extent for the average person. Now before you hardcore off-roaders flip tables, yes I'm aware there are some people out there that will push the limits, but they will most likely be a small majority.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying what they want, just trying to start a discussion about what YOUR intended use and needs are and how they align with the trim/options you have in mind.
I'll be honest and say that this my first SUV and my first off-road capable vehicle. I'm planning on doing some off-roading whenever I go on trips.

With this truck, I'm going to add off-road trails to the itinerary of any road or weekend trip I go on. I usually go on these trips with a few friends and I know they'd like to experience some off-road driving with me as their captain.

However, I'm not planning on doing anything crazy like difficult rock climbing, but most likely your average rocky trail, river crossings, and rock-like beaches to the water's edge. I'm definitely NOT planning on taking a $50k-$60k vehicle to beat up... maybe once I get a few years of off-roading under my belt I'll venture out and buy a cheap-o-mobile to beat up on some serious trails...

With all that said, I still am looking to buy a 4-Door Badlands fully spec'd out with a few accessories for a badass look and to have a capable vehicle no matter the obstacles; whether that be from the trail or the weather.

Jerseyborn

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘16 Nissan Maxima
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Having never been camping and the most "outdoorsy" thing i've done is kayak and fish when I lived in Florida, I am kidding myself if I think i'll be taking my Bronco off-road.

I might check out a trail or two if the infotainment system calls them out but mostly it will be to take the family to get ice cream or drive around down the shore with the doors off. My company provides a vehicle so it won't get a ton of drive time as a DD.

Honestly, I love the look and customization aspect of the Bronco above all else. My spec will most likely be: 4dr OBX 2.7L w/ High package and hardtop.
Sponsored