Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I look at every bronco I see that's parked to see if they've upgraded/etc their tie rods. I've yet to ever see any paint pen marks on any of them, including my own.
this is very interesting! We’re getting closer…
Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, if you can't: turn when stopped, turn off road, turn on grass, turn while backing up, align, put on a lift to service and have to carry a spare from a 2004 Ranger (thanks TD) maybe a recall is in order?

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The paint marks on the tie rod. Green line doesn't line up and looks like it was crossed out with a pink marker. I would guess the green line was the factory marking when the alignment was originally done and another alignment done after. I could be wrong, maybe someone with factory knowledge knows how this works. The bent tie rod is interesting too. Maybe it was bent before, under stress, and finally just gave up the ghost.
heres a video I took:

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My Bronco, which has never been out of my possession, has the pink marks also. They were on it from the factory.

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well what I thought would never happened happened.

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). I’m completely stock with 33s!

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks

I thought tie rods were only snapping on off roading conditions but I guess not! This sucks
This is concerning. It’s only a matter of time before one breaks at speed on the highway and someone gets hurt. I too suspect a quality issue with the rod itself. They are too brittle. They should bend a fair amount before snapping - and breakage should only occur once bending limits have been met, or when huge tensile loads are applied. Even it was bent earlier it should not fracture under low stress.

Having said that, I broke an outer TRE while slowly parking in a brand new Ram 2500 in 2010. The spindle snapped clean off where it meets the knuckle - a big beefy part broke like peanut brittle. A jagged grainy break in the steel suggested a defect in material, not design. I think the same is going on here.

Would love to see a broken part examined by a metallurgist. Any University engineering school near you that can put the part under a scope and render opinion?

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is concerning. It’s only a matter of time before one breaks at speed on the highway and someone gets hurt. I too suspect a quality issue with the rod itself. They are too brittle. They should bend a fair amount before snapping - and breakage should only occur once bending limits have been met, or when huge tensile loads are applied. Even it was bent earlier it should not fracture under low stress.

Having said that, I broke an outer TRE while slowly parking in a brand new Ram 2500 in 2010. The spindle snapped clean off where it meets the knuckle - a big beefy part broke like peanut brittle. A jagged grainy break in the steel suggested a defect in material, not design. I think the same is going on here.

Would love to see a broken part examined by a metallurgist. Any University engineering school near you that can put the part under a scope and render opinion?
this is a great response. NC State is a great engineering school so maybe I’ll ask some friends that go there? I agree with the problem in material I think you’re right!

okbob

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71' u15, 66' u14, 66' u14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Bronco, which has never been out of my possession, has the pink marks also. They were on it from the factory.
What's your build date?

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These trucks have a very tight turning radius. Turn the steering wheel to full lock and put some pressure on it might just snap it.

We’re you at full lock?

Sponsored

BroncoB

First Edition
First Name
Christine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
that is very interesting!!! Very interesting indeed. I’m going to look at my other tie rod and see
Don't get worked up over the paint marks. Sorry I brought it up. I just looked at mine and I also have green and purple marks (the Joker do our alignments?), just not as sloppy a job as they did on yours and I never noticed the green before.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well what I thought would never happened happened.

I just got my babe back from getting the recalls done on it and literally not even an hour after having it back I was turning around in my driveway and the tie rod snapped :). I’m completely stock with 33s!

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] trim.9F35FEAF-0CEC-4E4E-9B01-B6C823A433B6.MOV

Ford Bronco Tie rod just snapped while turning around in driveway [Update: Replaced Under Warranty] trim.9F35FEAF-0CEC-4E4E-9B01-B6C823A433B6.MOV

More info/answer:

as I said earlier I’m being completely truthful. No curb smacking has happened unless someone stole it in the dead of night and took it for a joy ride. The dealership idea might be correct though, they did do an inspection so maybe they lifted it up and something happened? I’m not sure but I am sure that I’m telling the truth.

I get where you’re coming from though with being suspicious (people always tell major stories and leave out key details) but I promise I’m telling you everything that I’ve done!!
oh no Hadley!
Welcome to the club! Ha

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't get worked up over the paint marks. Sorry I brought it up. I just looked at mine and I also have green and purple marks (the Joker do our alignments?), just not as sloppy a job as they did on yours and I never noticed the green before.
LOL well thanks for being honest. It was a good thought!

OP
OP
DaBroncstah

DaBroncstah

Black Diamond
First Name
Hadley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

These trucks have a very tight turning radius. Turn the steering wheel to full lock and put some pressure on it might just snap it.

We’re you at full lock?
not when it snapped. It happened as I was turning but yes good idea!