North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I love the mix of Bronco heritage and modern technology the 6th gen Bronco is bringing to market. But after seeing the survey pricing, like many of you, I have started to reevaluate my Bronco purchase, this thread helped to put things into perspective.
Let's Be Honest About Our Intended Use
My use will be 95% daily driver and 5% off-the-beaten-track trail riding, which will be the most serious off-roading I will ever do, further, I never plan to take the roof or doors off as my wife sunburns way too fast for that. Based on the survey pricing, which still did not include a number of the options I wanted, along with a bunch of accessories, my Bronco Badlands quickly headed towards $60K.

I'm concerned Ford thinks they can quickly cash-in on the Bronco hype and popularity with proud pricing, like the Jeep. Although unlikely, some Ford market analysis are concerned about a Ford bankruptcy. Is Ford so worried about their financial condition that Ford is going to end up doing what every Wall Street driven company has to do to survive, show immediate quarterly results vs more long term growth prospects? Is Ford trying to get whole all at once with Bronco pricing to alleviate these concerns?

After reading some insightful posts from @Paint and @aabsalon discussing their Bronco Backup Plans (below), I have revisited my backup plans as well, they are:
1) 2022 6th gen 4Runner $TBD
2) 5th gen 4Runner TRD Pro $50K
3) RAV4 TRD Off-Road $40K
4) Bronco Sport Badlands $40K
As you can see, these are all hardtops, which will help to improve the ride quality, when one does not need the removable roof and doors.

While I'm hopeful the Bronco will still work out, here are the posts from the Badlands Bronco Thread that I found insightful.
4Runner Off-Road Premium or 4Runner TRD Pro are my primary backup plan if a true dealbreaker rears its head on the Bronco. Or if I cheap out (a more likely scenario lol).

FYI, 6th Gen 4Runner is due for 2022, and Toyota usually drops all their information around February/March. So in theory, you'll have plenty of time to make up your mind on 5th Gen 4Runner, 6th Gen 4Runner, or 6th Gen Bronco.
Up until yesterday, I was all in for the Badlands Sasquatch. However, after looking at the prices of the options of the Badlands and the starting price of the four door at $46085 including destination charge, I am reconsidering if I should buy a Bronco.

I looked at the 2020/2021 Toyota Trd Off Road 4runner. That model has a rear locker, multi-terrain select (Similar to GOAT in Bronco), Crawl Control (similar to Trail Control in Bronco), and ATRAC (which acts like a front locker). I get get all of that with a 4runner for about $40k-$42k.

With that said, I am now considering a 4runner Trd Off Road instead. Anyone having the same feelings as I am with regards to Bronco pricing and buying considerations?
And last, a few details on the upcoming 6th gen Toyota 4Runner, which will be out in 2022, the same time as some of the 2021 Bronco's will be getting delivered.
An all-new Tundra pickup will drop in the fourth quarter of 2021 and sit on a TNGA-F platform, forming the basis for new 4Runners and Sequoias due in 2022. None of these trucks will be available with a V8. Instead, a twin-turbo hybrid V6 will be the top engine option.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/32730...ineup-leak-turbo-86-new-4runner-hybrid-sienna
Sponsored

BroncoJay

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a long time Toyota owner, I love the reliability of the brand. My taco has been great and before that my FJ was a tank!
With that being said Toyota has gone stale, Tacoma has saturated the market, tundra hasn’t changed in years, the technology is tired...
Love the brand but basically it bores me

I’m ready for something new and refreshed like the Bronco..

I don’t fault anyone for jumpin ship to another brand, there are plenty of great quality vehicles out there..

but as I’ve said in past threads, the Bronco for me means more as it’s a family nostalgia thing for me...

good luck to everyone deciding what’s best for them..

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have only owned Toyota and this is my first Ford purchase. I can understand your uneasiness. I have it myself. Unlike you, I own a GX460 and I don't believe the next generation 4runner would be better than my GX (this never leaves the pavement and has all the creature comforts I require).

My regret in buying the Bronco would only take place if:
1. A return to a heritage like Land Cruiser is brought back.
2. The Bronco has a lot of warranty issues.

But I'm looking forward to the Bronco. I think Ford did a great job listening to their customers. I think their execution is spot on (despite the rumblings here) and will be viewed as a move equal to the introduction of the Mustang (at a smaller scale).

Walnut

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
old ass beater
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really don't understand the sticker shock. The packaging prices are exactly where I assumed (I thought everyone else was under the same assumption), especially if you benchmark the prices against a Wrangler. Also taking into account that this a "new" vehicle, having to recover R&D costs.

Maybe people didn't realize certain things weren't standard, like auto or a hardtop with the 4 door? I don't know.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'll be that guy even though I am all for people just buying whatever they want.

OP if you are saying its 95% on road and 5% off road, why are you looking at what appears to be the most capable off road trim? Why not drop down a trim and see if that gets you more in your budget?

I mean I would love a badlands, but its way more capable than I will ever be and I never plan on rock crawling or using some of its offroad features. So I am between Outerbanks and Big Bend with some creature comforts added in.

Sponsored

Builtdadbodtough

Big Bend
First Name
Dad
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wtf.com
Vehicle(s)
Mazda
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m pretty much in the same place as the OP. I was super excited for the launch but Ford appears to have priced a certain demographic right out of the market (unless you want the sport). Disappointed but life goes on. May just end up waiting a few years and buying preowned.

Jmgunn0124

Big Bend
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I got a mesh top for my Jeep and no more sunburns for my incredibly fair skinned wife. Taking the top and doors off are 90% of why I own a Wrangler and plan to get a Bronco so I’m just planning to get a big bend with a few options.

What are your priority options? Fully loaded badlands doesn’t sound like it would be remotely the best bang for your buck when considering your planned usage and I’m guessing your desired options (based on the 60k estimate).

The other options certainly seem to make more sense on paper.

Last edited:

SamG

Black Diamond
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Most buyers purchase the wrangler and bronco for the removable roof/doors and the looks. That's it.

Though the 4runner might be as capable its not really comparable.

and the rav4 sure as shit isn't as capable... anyone who believes this does not understand suspension.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I need a vehicle to navigate irregular mountain forest service roads for bird hunting, and to get around town during the snowy winter months. My current Jeep Renegade is a perfect fit, but its time to rotate out of it. I'm limited to the Big 3 automakers, as anything else is 90 minutes away.

I'm not on a tight budget...I can either go functional, maybe get another Renegade - or spoil myself with something that knocks my socks off. Bronco has a coupl'a dings against it: the 2-door looks a tad thick to my eye...and the color options are no where near the X-ring.

I'll likely get a Black Diamond if the interior isn't black as a coal mine, and I'm not stuck with that grey top.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really don't think the pricing is out of line at all. I'm wondering when the last time y'all went to a dealership and walked around. Trucks going for over $60K. Run of the mill soccer mom SUVs over $40K. I could go buy a $45K Toyota Tacoma that comes with drum brakes.

The Bronco isn't just another soccer mom SUV. It is a purpose built vehicle that people will be willing to pay for if it delivers what it promises. I haven't owned a Ford in almost 30 years, but I have owned a lot of off road vehicles. I'm willing to gamble the Bronco delivers.

Sponsored

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I like to support a company that pushes product and technology. In the last 10 years Ford has really pushed it >> Ford GT, Ford Raptor (gen1 and gen2), Focus RS, GT350 and GT350R and GT500 and now it looks like the Gen3 Raptor will get a Supercharged V8. And the Bronco is just right around the corner

What has Toyota done in the last 10 years?

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I really don't think the pricing is out of line at all. I'm wondering when the last time y'all went to a dealership and walked around. Trucks going for over $60K. Run of the mill soccer mom SUVs over $40K. I could go buy a $45K Toyota Tacoma that comes with drum brakes.

The Bronco isn't just another soccer mom SUV. It is a purpose built vehicle that people will be willing to pay for if it delivers what it promises. I haven't owned a Ford in almost 30 years, but I have owned a lot of off road vehicles. I'm willing to gamble the Bronco delivers.
This ^ I believe the ATP of a new car sold in the US is like 34K or something around there. I told my wife about the prices of my possible bronco and she said isn't that expensive. I told her it's a little higher then what I thought but if you look at my other alternatives they are right in line. Those alternatives might have some more creature comforts but everything I am considering is in the high 30 low 40 range.

Just for S&G if I built a Ford Edge the way I wanted it at the bare bones it MSRPs fro 38K, thats an SEL model with AWD. My Bronco Big Bend build is 39

tomknight

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep (3), Fiat Spider, MB ML
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If I don't but a Bronco, I would buy a Colorado ZR2, and maybe get the Bison package. I saw a Bison locally last week at invoice, and I almost did it, but I've been waiting for B&P to come out on the Bronco.

The Bison has everything off road that the Bronco does, except sway bar disconnect. And, it tows 5k lbs.

Grumpy Medusa

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Patriot
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm in the exact same boat. I was literally looking at 4Runners and running depreciation calcs before coming here. I LOVE the Bronco but it's about $5-10k more than what I want to spend and what alternative values are out there.

Compta38

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Was looking at a 4Runner TRD Off-road and now have zero interest in anything other than 4 door Bronco. I full expect to pay $45k+ which is more than I was willing to go on Toyota but I'm okay with that.
Sponsored